SEARCH

Entries in Contruction (3)

Wednesday
Apr252012

WATCH: Time-Lapse Video Shows 6-Year One World Trade Construction

ABC (NEW YORK) -- In a matter of days, One World Trade Center could be the tallest building in Manhattan and one of the tallest in the world.

The building is expected to be taller than New York’s iconic Empire State Building, which currently rises 1,250 feet to the 102nd-floor observation deck.

One World Trade is being built on the site of the original World Trade Center towers -- or Twin Towers. They were the tallest buildings in the city, but were destroyed in the Sept. 11 terror attacks, in which an estimated 3,000 people were killed.

The progression of construction on One World Trade can be seen in a two-minute, time-lapse video from EarthCam, the international webcam technology company.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Construction is estimated to be finished in 2013 or 2014. One World Trade Center will stand 1,776 feet tall.

The construction began six years ago. One hundred floors have been built so far, and four more remain before the tower is completed.

The site also is home to 4 World Trade Center and the 9/11 Memorial Plaza.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Feb082012

‘Enough Is Enough’: Lawmaker Lambastes $400M Los Angeles Courthouse Plan

Comstock/Thinkstock(LOS ANGELES) -- A vacant lot in Los Angeles is about to become a $400 million money pit, one lawmaker says, and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

“I think we should save $400 million and then actually sell the property,” Rep. Jeff Denham, R.-Calif., told ABC News. “Both parties need to come together and say, ‘Enough is enough.’”

The U.S. government is building a massive, new federal courthouse on the site, even though there are two current courthouses nearby -- Spring Street and the Edward R. Roybal Federal Building -- that work just fine. Denham said it was “a blatant waste of taxpayer dollars.”

Denham, who chairs the subcommittee overseeing public buildings, has asked the Obama administration to halt the construction of the Los Angeles site and sell the property.

Despite Denham’s protests, Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard, D-Calif., said the courthouse is needed in her district. Roybal-Allard said the Spring Street building wasn’t secure enough.

“Right now, the way the situation is, you have dangerous criminals having to go into public elevators and go down public corridors in order to get to the courtroom,” she said. “We don’t have enough courtrooms. We have to bring in visiting judges -- [there are] not enough judges to handle all the cases. It’s a dangerous situation which was to be addressed.”

In Los Angeles and elsewhere in the U.S., the federal government has been on a courthouse-building spending spree. A brand-new courthouse was just built in Miami for about $163 million. The old one now sits padlocked and abandoned down the road.

And in Washington, D.C., a few blocks from the Capitol building, the federal government spent $105 million on a shiny, new courthouse that has left the old site open and operating but for the most part empty.

In November 2011, the Government Accountability Office released a report saying that the federal government had spent $835 million on unneeded courthouse space and an estimated $51 million a year in rent, operation and maintenance fees.

The report also said that there was nearly four million square feet of excess space in the 33 courthouses built since 2000. The GAO report attributed the extra space to “courthouses exceeding the congressionally authorized size, the number of judges in the courthouses being overestimated and not planning for judges to share courtrooms.”

Denham said that a private developer should be allowed to buy the L.A. lot from the federal government.

And Wednesday, the U.S. government announced that Donald Trump had been selected to transform its Old Post Office Pavilion in Washington  -- listed on the National Register of Historic Places -- into a luxury hotel.

“You could have a private developer come in and develop that area … creating thousands of jobs in L.A. and actually putting the property back on the tax rolls,” he said. “Here, you want more revenue. … L.A. is one of those areas. There’s a huge shortage of space. [There are] plenty of industries that could build there.”

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jan072011

John Wheeler's Cell Phone Found in House Under Construction

Photo Courtesy - Getty Images(PHILADELPHIA) -- Police in Newark, Del., have recovered John Wheeler's cell phone in a house under construction across the street from his home in New Castle. Del., reported ABC affiliate WPVI in Philadelphia.

The ex-presidential appointee had filed a lawsuit, challenging the zoning approval for the neighboring house because it partially blocked his view of Battery Park and the Delaware River.

Police have been looking into the possibility that Wheeler may have set off smoke bombs in the house earlier last week.

Wheeler reportedly fought with a neighbor over the construction of the home. An attorney for that neighbor issued a statement saying his client was saddened by Wheeler's death.

Authorities have also interviewed a cab driver after finding his phone number on Wheeler's cell phone.

The driver, Athel Scott, said he doesn't know how his number got on Wheeler's phone, but he said he does remember seeing him.

"I seen him one day by the Hotel duPont and one day I seen him at the train station going inside that little store, that's all I know," Scott said.

Police also announced Friday they have uncovered more surveillance video from the night Wheeler was last seen alive. The video shows Wheeler leaving the Nemours Building in Wilmington, then walking down the street, passing through the Hotel duPont valet parking area further, before crossing over to Market Street.

In one portion of the video, the 66-year-old Wheeler appears confused as he held a shoe in one hand, and limping slightly. He is last seen on camera at 8:42 p.m. on Dec. 30.

Former homicide investigator Brad Garrett told ABC News, "So the, the question for investigators is, does it all really go together or is it pieces? When I say pieces, did he have a stroke, for example? Becomes disoriented, he wanders around. He hits into the wrong crowd. They kill him. They rob him, whatever they might do."

Wheeler's death remains a distressing mystery for his family and the police.

Investigators are continuing their efforts to talk to Wheeler's friends and associates, and are asking for the public's help. Meanwhile, Wheeler's family issued a statement Friday, thanking the police for their efforts:

"The family of John P. Wheeler III is most grateful for the efforts of the law enforcement authorities in the ongoing investigation into his death. The family is sincerely thankful for all the personal expressions of sympathy and condolences received from so many whose lives were touched by Jack in such positive ways. We reiterate our previous requests for privacy as we mourn his loss and ask that our decision to refrain from further comment at this time be respected."

Wheeler, a former presidential appointee and defense consultant, was found dead as his body was being dumped out of a dumpster into a Wilmington, Del. landfill on New Year's Eve.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio