SEARCH

Entries in Court Hearing (2)

Tuesday
Dec132011

Sandusky Accuser Ready 'to Set the Record Straight' at Hearing

Centre County Correctional Facility via Getty Images(STATE COLLEGE, Pa.) -- A young man identified only as Victim 6 will be in a Pennsylvania courtroom on Tuesday to "set the record straight" and testify against former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky, his lawyer told ABC News.

Howard Janet said his client -- one of 10 young men Sandusky is accused of molesting in a 15-year period -- would testify in Tuesday's preliminary hearing despite "mixed emotions."

"It's very difficult.  It's trying, but it's something that needs to be done to serve justice," Janet said.  "It's an opportunity for him to set the record straight in response to charges by Sandusky and his lawyer that he hasn't been telling the truth and these other young men haven't been telling the truth."

Last month, Sandusky's lawyer said that Victim 1 was retaliating against a tough mentor and had exaggerated his story after getting attention from prosecutors.  The lawyer also said that Victim 2, who Sandusky is accused of having raped in a Penn State shower, claimed he was never molested.  Victim 6 was allegedly bear-hugged by Sandusky as they showered together at Penn State in 1998 when the accuser was 11.  He is now 24.

The boy's mother filed a complaint at the time, but a police investigation ended with no charges filed.  Sandusky was recorded by police, however, telling the boy's mother that the shower was a mistake and "I wish I were dead."

Janet would not comment when ABC News asked him about the 1998 investigation.

"I will let this young man speak for himself with respect to that at the grand jury tomorrow," he said.  "It will be evident that charges were warranted [then] and continue to be warranted."

Sandusky, 67, is charged with 50 counts relating to child molestation.  On Tuesday, he is scheduled to appear in court for the first time to face his accusers.  The hearing is expected to last several days.

Last week, sources close to the case told ABC News that eight victims would testify against Sandusky.

On Wednesday, Sandusky was arrested as two new accusers emerged, bringing the number of alleged sex abuse victims to 10.  It was not clear whether the most recent accusers would attend Tuesday's hearing.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jul262011

Dominique Strauss-Kahn Hearing Delayed as Prosecutor Mulls Evidence

Harold Cunningham/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- New York prosecutors have postponed the next hearing in the alleged sexual assault by French money man Dominique Strauss-Kahn while prosecutors determine whether the case is strong enough to prosecute despite alleged lies and altered statements by his accuser.

The postponement by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance comes a day after Strauss-Kahn's alleged victim, Nafissatou Diallo, spoke about her case on ABC News and in Newsweek, multiple persons involved in the case tell ABC News.

The district attorney had not decided by Tuesday whether or not to go forward in the case, and it was unclear what effect, if any, the decision by Diallo to go public with her version of the alleged sexual assault may have on the prosecution's determination.

The next hearing for Strauss-Kahn, the former head of the International Monetary Fund who was expected to run for the presidency of France, had been scheduled for Aug. 1. It has now been pushed back to Aug. 23, according to the prosecutor's office.

"The investigation into this pending criminal case is continuing. We will have no further comment," said Erin Duggan, director of communications for Vance.

While the district attorney remained circumspect in his statement, defense attorneys for Strauss-Kahn were forceful in calling for a dismissal, using the postponement as the latest vehicle for public assertions of their client's innocence.

"We have consented to a postponement of the status hearing before Judge [Michael] Obus from Aug. 1 to Aug. 23. We understand the district attorney is continuing to investigate," attorneys Benjamin Brafman and William W. Taylor said in a statement. "We hope that by Aug. 23 he will have reached the decision to dismiss."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio