SEARCH

Entries in Death Ray (1)

Thursday
Sep302010

Las Vegas Hotel Knew of Pool 'Death Ray' in 2008

Photo Courtesy - CityCenter Las Vegas(LAS VEGAS) -- A solar glare specialist who was denied a contract by a Las Vegas hotel to help it solve an intense sunlight issue -- now dubbed a "death ray" by employees there -- says the casino ignored his advice and went with a cheaper fix.

"It is one thing to ask experts in their relative field for advice; it is another to ignore their advice without justification," glass film manufacturer Nichols E. Ashton wrote the builders of the Vdara hotel back in November 2008.

Today, guests lounging at the Las Vegas pool reportedly are getting burned by concentrated sun rays strong enough to melt plastic drink cups and plastic newspaper bags.

Ashton is president of SSAF International, which ultimately did not get a contract for a protective window film to fix the problem.

"They didn't like the information. They didn't want to spend the money," Ashton told ABC News. "They thought the issue would go away. They thought nobody would get hurt."

Gordon Absher, a spokesman for the hotel's owner, MGM Mirage, said the company placed a reflective film over the windows that blocks about 70 percent of the light. "This is hardly a unique situation," he said.

Ashton blamed the problem on poor design, saying the building was placed in the wrong position. He said there are no "sour grapes" over being denied the contract.

Absher said the company is well aware of the lingering problem. This was the first summer of operation and he said Vdara is investigating steps to solve the solar convergence.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio