SEARCH

Entries in Death Threats (4)

Thursday
Sep062012

Secret Service Investigating Democratic Delegate

Justin Sullivan/Getty Images(CHARLOTTE, N.C.) -- New York delegate Julia Rodriguez told a reporter on camera that if she bumped into Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, she “would like to kill him,” leading the U.S. Secret Service to investigate the threat.

“We are aware of it and will take the appropriate follow-up,” George Ogilvie, spokesman for U.S. Secret Service, told ABC News in a statement Thursday.

Video surfaced Wednesday of a woman identifying herself as New York delegate Julia Rodriguez at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C.  In the clip she said, “If I see him,” meaning Romney, “I would like to kill him.”

Romney, whose Secret Service code name is “Javelin,” has had Secret Service protection since late January.

In the video, Rodriguez says that she is originally from Puerto Rico but has lived in New York for 40 years. According to a list of delegates posted at Democrats.org, Rodriguez is from the Bronx.

She was also photographed Wednesday holding a Puerto Rican flag in a photo booth at the convention in Charlotte.

Attempts to reach the New York State Democratic Party were unsuccessful, and the headquarters’ voicemail was not accepting new messages.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Aug242012

Prosecutor: Accused Aurora Shooter James Holmes Made Death Threat in March

RJ Sangosti-Pool/Getty Images(AURORA, Colo.) -- Suspected Colorado shooter James Holmes allegedly told a classmate in March 2012 that he wanted to kill people and "that he would do so when his life was over," according to a court document filed by prosecutors that was unsealed Friday.

The document was filed after Holmes' defense team tried to quash prosecutors' request for his educational records. Prosecutors argued that the documents are relevant to the investigation of the crime.

"The defendant had conversations with a classmate about wanting to kill people in March 2012, and that he would do so when his life was over," district attorney Carol Chambers wrote.

The 24-year-old Ph.D. student is accused of a mass killing in which he sprayed three weapons' full of ammunition into a crowded movie theater during a midnight premiere screening of the Batman movie, The Dark Knight Rises, on July 20. Twelve people were killed and 58 were wounded in the worst mass shooting in U.S. history, as measured by number of people shot.

Holmes was charged with 24 counts of first degree murder, two counts for each of the people he is accused of killing. He was also charged with 116 counts of attempted first degree murder, one count of possessing an explosive device and one count of violent crime. He faces a total of 142 criminal charges.

Holmes failed his graduate school oral exams in June 2012 and was denied access to the school "after he made threats to a professor at the school," Chambers wrote. Holmes began buying his guns at the end of May.

He subsequently began the process to "voluntarily withdraw" from his program and was in the process of completing that withdrawal when the shooting occurred, the document said.

"After he was denied access to the CU-Denver Anschutz campus he began a detailed and complex plan to obtain firearms, ammunition, a tear-gas grenade, body armor, a gas-mask, and a ballistic helmet, which were used in the commission of the murders and the attempted murder," the prosecutor wrote.

In a Thursday court appearance, prosecutors went before a Colorado judge to make their case for why they should have access to Holmes' school records.

The judge has not yet decided if he will allow the school records to be used as evidence. A gag order had been placed on all parties in the case to prevent them from discussing any details of the case.

Attorneys are also waiting for the court to decide whether the contents of a package Holmes mailed to Lynne Fenton, his psychiatrist at the University of Colorado, can be used as evidence. Fenton is expected to testify at Holmes' next court date, scheduled for Aug. 30.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jul052011

Casey Anthony Verdict: Family Gets Death Threats in Wake of Acquittal

Hand Out/ABC News(ORLANDO, Fla.) -- Members of Casey Anthony's family received death threats Tuesday after the Florida woman was acquitted of murder in the death of her daughter, 2-year-old Caylee.

Mark Lippman, the attorney for George and Cindy Anthony, Casey Anthony's parents, told ABC News that the family has received death threats. Authorities are reportedly investigating the threats. No additional details were immediately available.

The verdict provoked shock and outrage, and the backlash was swift.

Spectators outside the courtroom comforted each other and cried, and one man remarking that Casey Anthony should leave town because she's not welcome in Orlando.

Law enforcement officials roped off a door where Cindy and George Anthony were expected to make their exit from the court, and bystanders chanted "Appeal! Appeal!" and "justice for Caylee."

One woman said, "[The verdict] is going to make millions of people think they can get away with killing their child. ...That isn't a good depiction of what our justice system is like or should be."

Jurors in the explosive murder trial headed into deliberations with plenty of forensic evidence and expert testimony to pore over. They also had seen a lot of family drama play out on the witness stand, including allegations by the defense team that Casey Anthony's father, George, and brother, Lee, had sexually molested her.

It also appeared that Cindy Anthony perjured herself in testimony about computer searches for the term "chloroform," and it was revealed that Casey Anthony told elaborate lies -- not just about the circumstances surrounding her daughter's disappearance, but about other aspects of her life as well.

A statement released Tuesday by Lippman on behalf of George, Cindy and Lee Anthony seems to demonstrate the family's conflict:

"While the family may never know what has happened to Caylee Marie Anthony, they now have closure for this chapter of their life," the statement reads.  "They will now begin the long process of rebuilding their lives. Despite the baseless defense chosen by Casey Anthony, the family believes that the Jury made a fair decision based on the evidence presented, the testimony presented, the scientific information presented and the rules that were given to them by the Honorable Judge Perry to guide them. The family hopes that they will be given the time by the media to reflect on this verdict and decide the best way to move forward privately."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Saturday
Jan222011

Death Threats Target California Governor Jerry Brown

Photo Courtesy - Justin Sullivan/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- Authorities are investigating graffiti threats against California Gov. Jerry Brown, Catholics, and minorities.

Complaints of disturbing graffiti started last week, when a death threat appeared near two Catholic churches in the cities of Anaheim and Irvine, Calif. Orange County officials have since been inundated with reports of similar graffiti targeting African Americans, Asians, and Hispanics. The most recent crossed a political line, promising to kill the governor on Valentine's Day.

Investigators found a swastika on one defaced wall, beside the ominous warning: "26 MORE DAYS 4 BROWN." A second threat read, "We gonna kill GOV. BROWN 2/14/11." The walls have since been cleaned.

The scribblings are linked by certain idiosyncrasies in penmanship and spelling, according to The Los Angeles Times.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio