SEARCH

Entries in Deposition (2)

Friday
Jul152011

Casey Anthony May Be Grilled by Lawyer for Defamation

Red Huber-Pool/Getty Images(ORLANDO, Fla.) -- The lawyers for the real Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez are suing Casey Anthony for defamation, but they intend to grill the woman acquitted of killing her daughter during her civil deposition because "America wants justice."

Fernandez-Gonzalez's lawyers have asked the court to compel Anthony to sit for a deposition because they fear that once she leaves jail on Sunday that she will "leave the jurisdiction of this court, disguise herself, change her name, etc., making it impossible to ever depose her."

Fernandez-Gonzalez is suing Anthony for using her name when she told Orlando, Florida police that her 2-year-old daughter Caylee was stolen by a babysitter and gave police her name.  Anthony stuck to that lie for three years before her lawyer told the court at the opening of her murder trial that the babysitter never existed and that Caylee accidentally drowned in the family pool.

John Morgan, the lawyer for Fernandez-Gonzalez, intends to demonstrate the hardship that Anthony allegedly caused his client, who is a 42-year-old mother of six.  He also intends to interrogate Anthony about Caylee's death.

"The first question I'm going to ask her is, 'Tell us the last time you saw Caylee.'  The second is, 'Tell us when you found out she was dead," Morgan told ABC News.

The lawyer dismissed anticipated objections from Anthony's lawyers that these questions are not relevant to Fernandez-Gonzalez's legal claims.

"Everything about the death of the child is not only relevant, it's very relevant.  It's the essence of the case," Morgan said.

Morgan believes he is acting on behalf of those people in the country who are outraged by Anthony's not guilty verdict.

"America wants justice.  They want to make [Casey Anthony] sit down and tell them what happened," Morgan said.

"When Zenaida first came to me, we never thought Casey would see the light of day again," Morgan said.  "It was never about money in the beginning.  Now, it's about accountability and responsibility."

Lawyers for the two sides are scheduled to meet Friday to work out details of the deposition, and Anthony is scheduled to be deposed next Tuesday.  A trial is scheduled for next February.

Anthony's lawyers filed a brief Thursday asking that both hearings be cancelled because Casey Anthony, 25, has suffered "trauma" from her six-week murder trial.  They also said that having the dates and locations of her deposition made public put her "safety in jeopardy" because of the "numerous threats that have already been made against her."

If forced to be deposed, her lawyers added, she will plead the Fifth Amendment, refusing to answer on the grounds that she would incriminate herself.

Besides the Fernandez-Gonzalez lawsuit, Anthony also faces a suit for $100,000 by EquuSearch, the volunteer search organization that hunted for Caylee after being assured by Anthony that her daughter was alive and pleading with them to help find Caylee.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Friday
Feb112011

John Edwards Deposed in Civil Suit

Photo Courtesy - ABC News (CHAPEL HILL, N.C.) -- John Edwards is talking again about his affair with Rielle Hunter -- but this time under oath.

Edwards was deposed earlier this week in Chapel Hill, N.C., in connection with a civil lawsuit Hunter brought against former Edwards aide Andrew Young over a sex tape allegedly depicting Hunter and Edwards, ABC News has learned.

An attorney for Young confirmed that the deposition took place but, beyond that, no one will say a word about the substance of Edwards' testimony.

Attorneys for the ex-senator successfully argued for a broad protective order prohibiting anyone -- under threat of contempt charges -- from disclosing any details of the videotaped deposition.

There were, however, no limits on what questions could be asked.

Separately, a federal criminal investigation of Edwards' 2008 presidential campaign finances is near its conclusion, and sources with knowledge of the probe tell ABC News that a decision on whether to seek indictments could come at any time.

Edwards has not commented publicly on the investigation since May 2009. In his statement then, he expressed confidence "that no funds from my campaign were used improperly."

Federal investigators have dedicated significant resources to gathering evidence and interviewing key witnesses in North Carolina, Washington, D.C., and elsewhere.

The focus of the case has been on the money allegedly spent -- upwards of $1 million -- to seclude Hunter and Young, who had falsely claimed paternity of Hunter's child, while Edwards continued his pursuit of the nomination.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio 







ABC News Radio