SEARCH

Entries in Drawdown (4)

Friday
Dec302011

Book: Petraeus Rejected Advice to Quit as NATO Commander

DoD photo by Cherie Cullen/Released(WASHINGTON) -- Former Gen. David Petraeus was reportedly not happy earlier this year when President Obama announced plans to draw down 33,000 U.S. forces from Afghanistan by the end of next summer.

In fact, a new biography, All In: The Education of General David Petraeus, claims that a conservative writer urged Petraeus to resign as commander of NATO forces in Afghanistan over his opposition to the withdrawal.

It would have been a particularly controversial move on Petraeus' part since he had already accepted the job of CIA director to replace Leon Panetta, who was named the new secretary of defense.

However, author Paula Broadwell writes that the former four-star general ultimately rejected the advice of Max Boot and stayed on at his post until he became head of the spy agency, figuring that quitting would look like a "selfish, grandstanding move with huge political ramifications."

Boot had promised to run a Petraeus for President campaign, which the former general also had no stomach for.

Meanwhile, the CIA issued a statement Thursday disputing Broadwell's depiction of events, saying, "Director Petraeus has publicly stated that he never contemplated resignation."

All In: The Education of General David Petraeus will hit bookstores next month.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Jun222011

President Obama to Announce Plans for Afghanistan Troop Reduction

Official White House Photo by Pete Souza(WASHINGTON) -- In an address to the nation Wednesday night, President Obama is expected to announce a slow drain on American troop strength in Afghanistan.

The president will order a drawdown of 10,000 U.S. troops before the end of 2011, ABC News has learned, with the first troops returning next month. By next summer, in 2012, all of the remaining forces in the 33,000 troop surge would be withdrawn.

The president's address is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jun212011

Obama to Lay Out Plan for Afghan Drawdown in Primetime Address

Official White House Photo by Pete Souza(WASHINGTON) -- President Obama intends to begin a withdrawal of forces from Afghanistan, and to underscore the serious of the development, the administration has announced he will make a primtime address to the nation from the White House Wednesday night.

White House press secretary Jay Carney says it will be a plan to drawdown the number of forces in Afghanistan. It's expected to be a slow process, taking a year or more.

Here is the official statement from Carney:

At 8pm EDT on Wednesday, June 22nd, the President will address the nation from the White House to lay out his plan for implementing his strategy -- first unveiled in December 2009 -- to draw down American troops from Afghanistan.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Monday
Feb142011

Gates: 'No Idea' on Size of US Troop Drawdown in Afghanistan

Photo Courtesy - Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- Defense Secretary Gates called it a “fairly dramatic reduction in the overseas contingency operations budget," as war funding drops to $117.8 billion in 2012 from $160 billion this year.  But it’s all because of the U.S. drawdown in Iraq that will be completed by January 1, 2012 which makes next year’s war funding all about Afghanistan.  

The drawdown of the 98,000 U.S. troops currently in Afghanistan is slated to begin in July of this year, but Gates admitted Monday “we have no idea what the size of the drawdowns will be" because the pace of troop reductions will all depend on security conditions on the ground.
 
As such, Gates said it make more sense to continue to conservatively budget the war next year at the 98,000 U.S. troop level and see what happens as the drawdown progresses.
 
According to Gates, “It makes more budget sense to do this conservatively and budget on a straight line basis from FY 2011 and depending on the size of the drawdown, that maybe money we just won’t spend. “
 
However, Gates made it clear that while it made good budget sense to plan for maintaining a 98,000 troop level, that’s “not to say we will have 98,000 at the end of FY 2012, in fact that’s a lead pipe cinch we won’t.”

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio 







ABC News Radio