SEARCH

Entries in Football Players (2)

Saturday
Jan052013

Steubenville Officials, Under Scrutiny, Launch Website Regarding Alleged Teen Gang Rape

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(STEUBENVILLE, Ohio) -- As Steubenville, Ohio, prepares for the high-profile rape trial of two high school football players, officials, battling allegations of a cover-up, announced the creation of a new website on Saturday to debunk rumors and create what they said would be a transparent resource for the community.

"This site is not designed to be a forum for how the Juvenile Court ought to rule in this matter," the website, called Steubenville Facts, said.

A timeline of the case, beginning with the alleged gang rape of a 16-year-old girl at a party on Aug. 11-12, 2012, is posted on the site. Summaries of Ohio law relating to the case and facts about the local police force including statistics on how many graduated from Steubenville schools, is included.

The case gained national attention last week when hacking collective Anonymous leaked a video of Steubenville high school athletes mocking the 16-year-old female victim and making crude references to the alleged rape.

Anonymous has called for more arrests, however Steubenville Police have said their hands are tied.

"Steubenville Police investigators are caring humans who recoil and are repulsed by many of the things they observe during an investigation," the website said, addressing the video. "Like detectives in every part of America and the world, they are often frustrated when they emotionally want to hold people accountable for certain detestable behavior but realize that there is no statute that allows a criminal charge to be made."

Occupy Steubenville, a grassroots group, estimated 1,300 people attended a rally on Saturday outside the Jefferson County Courthouse, where rape victims and their loved ones gathered to share their stories.

The father of a teenage rape victim was met with applause when he shared his outrage.

"I've tried to show my girl that not all men are like this, but only a despicable few," he said. "And their mothers that ignore the truth that they gave birth to a monster."

Authorities investigated the case and charged two Steubenville high school athletes on Aug. 22, 2012.

The teenagers face trial on Feb. 13, 2013 in juvenile court before a visiting judge.

Attorneys for the boys have denied charges in court.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Monday
Jun112012

SWAT Team Goes into House After Auburn Shooting Suspect

Thinkstock/Getty Images(MONTGOMERY, Ala.) -- Police stormed a house in Montgomery, Ala., Monday evening where they believed the man suspected of shooting six people, killing three of them at an off-campus party near Auburn University, was hiding out.

Desmonte Leonard, 22, allegedly pulled a gun during a pool party brawl and opened fire Saturday night. Two of the people killed were ex-Auburn football players, and a current player was among the wounded.

Leonard, who was wanted on three counts of capital murder, allegedly fled to Montgomery after the shooting.

Montgomery Mayor Todd Strange said police received two tips that someone who looked like Leonard was in the house, and they quickly surrounded the residence.

They fired tear gas into the home, but though they are sure there is someone in the house and they heard coughing and movement inside, no one came out.

After it became apparent that the tear gas would not get whoever was in the house to come out, a SWAT team went in and police said they had gone up to the house's attic, where it was believed the man was hiding.

Earlier Monday, Gabriel Thomas, 41, and Jeremy Thomas, 18, were both arrested and charged with hindering prosecution. Officials are not commenting on whether the two are related.

"[Gabriel] Thomas was charged after investigators developed information indicating he had contact with Leonard and provided misleading information in the search for Leonard," the Montgomery Police Department said in a statement.

He was arrested Sunday and the arrest was made public Monday. He is being held at the Montgomery County Detention Facility on a $15,000 bond.

Jeremy Thomas, who allegedly fled with Leonard the night of the shooting, was arrested Monday afternoon and is being questioned by detectives.

Rewards totaling $15,000 has been offered for information leading to Leonard's apprehension. The FBI has offered $10,000 of the reward and the U.S. Marshals Service has offered $5,000.

"[We'll] work together and pool all the resources and be absolutely relentless in the pursuit of this individual and that's exactly what we intend to do," said Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones.

Two former Auburn football players, Ladarious Phillips and Ed Christian, and another man identified as Demario Pitts died in the shooting.

Auburn football players Eric Mack, Xavier Moss and John Robertson were wounded, Dawson said. Robertson was undergoing surgery for a gunshot wound to the head and "fighting for his life," Dawson said.

All six victims were younger than 21.

"This is a trying time, not only university students and athletes, but its young people. It's six young people that have been shot. As you can tell, the community is shaken by this and grieving today," Auburn Police Chief Tommy Dawson said Sunday of the shooting, which he said "sickened" him.

The police chief said the only connection between the university football team and the Saturday shooting was that the players happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"Sometimes, the young men get a bad rap, I feel like, but they are the victims today," Dawson said. "Them being football players really has nothing to do with this. They're victims of a shooting."

Auburn Mayor Bill Ham Jr. said, "Auburn University alumni from across the country and throughout the state are shocked by what's happened. I want the family members to know that this community reaches out to them, that they are in our prayers and thoughts."

Phillips' mother, Jemecia Phillips, said her son, a 20-year-old fullback, had planned to transfer to Jackson State University, adding that she was proud of him.

"He was always helpful," she said.

Auburn University football coach Gene Chizik said he was saddened for the "entire Auburn family," but was "devastated" to learn that two of his players had been killed.

"Nobody should ever have to endure such unimaginable grief, and we will love and support the victims' families during this terribly difficult time," Chizik said.

The university and its athletic director released statements of grief and condolences to the victims' families and friends. University officials are in "constant contact" with authorities to assist as needed, according to a statement.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio