SEARCH

Entries in Fort Bragg (9)

Monday
Jul022012

Fort Bragg Shooter Dies after Killing Commander

Hemera/Thinkstock(FORT BRAGG, N.C.) -- The soldier who killed his commanding officer at Fort Bragg last week has died.

Twenty-seven-year-old Spc. Ricky Elder, of Kansas, died on Friday from the gunshot wound he inflicted upon himself.

During a military briefing last week, Elder opened fire and killed his commander, 42-year-old Lt. Col. Roy Tisdale.

Another soldier was shot in the incident, but his injuries are said to be non-life threatening.

A motive for the shooting remains a mystery.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jun282012

Army Battalion Commander Killed in Fort Bragg Shooting

AbleStock/Thinkstock(FORT BRAGG, N.C.) -- A U.S. Army battalion commander was killed by a fellow soldier on Thursday in a shooting incident at Fort Bragg, N.C.  The alleged gunman then shot himself and is in custody; a third soldier was slightly injured in the shooting.

An Army statement said the shooting victim belonged to the 525th Battlefield Surveillance Brigade.  A battalion is a subordinate command within a brigade and is commanded by a lieutenant colonel.  The battalion involved in today’s shooting has not been identified.

A Defense official told ABC News that the shooting occurred Thursday afternoon as the battalion was gathered for a safety briefing in advance of the upcoming July 4 weekend.

The safety briefings are usually held by commanders to reinforce good patterns of behavior during holiday periods.

The official says that at some point during the safety briefing an enlisted soldier broke out of formation and pulled a handgun to shoot the battalion commander.  Another soldier was slightly injured during the shooting.  The gunman then shot himself.  He was taken into custody and is listed as being in serious condition.

This official says it is unclear if the handgun the enlisted soldier used in the shooting was a personal weapon or military issue.  Army bases usually keep firearms under lock and key at armories unless units are scheduled to use weapons at firing ranges.

The official said the incident occurred two blocks from the Corps’ headquarters.  An Army statement said, “Fort Bragg law enforcement and emergency responders secured the scene within minutes at the corner of Letterman and Armistead Streets.”

At a press briefing late Thursday evening Col. Kevin Arata, a spokesman for the XVIII Airborne Corps based at Fort Bragg, said, “This is a tragedy for our community.  We don’t yet know the reasons for the shooting, but are working with the unit and the affected families to help them through this difficult period.”  He added, "Our prayers are with those who have been affected by this terrible incident."

Special Agents from the Army Criminal Investigation Command are investigating the shooting.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Sunday
Apr222012

Kelli Bordeaux: Figure In Case Jailed On Unrelated Charges

Fayetteville Police Dept(NEW YORK) -- The man who gave missing soldier Kelli Bordeaux a ride home on the night of her disappearance turned himself in to Fayetteville police on unrelated charges Friday night.

Nicholas Holbert, 25, surrendered after it was revealed he failed to register as a sex offender at his new address. Although he has been questioned twice, police said Holbert is not a person of interest in the disappearance of Pfc. Bordeaux, 23.

The soldier,  who is stationed at Fort Bragg, was last seen leaving Froggy Bottoms bar in Fayetteville, N.C. around 1:20 a.m a week ago Saturday. She was reported missing on Monday when she failed to report to duty.

Holbert, who lives in a lean-to behind the bar where he also works, told police he gave the soldier a ride home but dropped her off at the entrance of her neighborhood at her request, he told ABC affiliate WTVD.

“As soon as you drive into the entrance to Meadowbrook, she said, ‘Stop right here,’” Holbert said. “So I stopped and she said, ‘I’ll walk home.’ I said, ‘Are you sure?’ She said, ‘Yeah.’ I said I figured she didn’t want me to know where she lived, or somebody was there and she didn’t want to be seen together.”

The missing soldier’s brother, Matt Henson, said he has been spending eight to 12 hours a day looking for his sister while police conducted their own search of woods and waterways.

“She’s going to fight and survive and that is what it is,” he said.

Henson told reporters no one should underestimate the 5-feet-tall, 100 pound blond, saying:  “There’s no doubt in my mind that we are going to find her alive.”

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Apr202012

Police Search Pond for Clues in Missing Fort Bragg Soldier Case

Fayetteville Police Dept(FAYETTEVILLE, N.C.) -- Police in Fayetteville, N.C., turned up no new leads Thursday after searching a pond for signs of the missing soldier Kelli Bordeaux.

Pfc. Bordeaux, who is stationed at Fort Bragg, was last seen leaving Froggy Bottoms bar in Fayetteville around 1:20 a.m Saturday.

Detectives issued a public plea for anyone who was at the bar that night to call a hotline that was set up to collect leads.

Nicholas Holbert, a 25-year-old bar hand who is a registered sex offender, has been questioned twice, but police said on Thursday at a news conference that he is not a person of interest in the case.

Holbert told ABC News affiliate WTVD exclusively that he gave Bordeaux, 23, a ride home from the bar, where he works, but denied having anything to do with her disappearance and said he dropped her off at the entrance of her neighborhood at her request.

"As soon as you drive into the entrance to Meadowbrook, she said, 'Stop right here,'" Holbert said.  "So I stopped and she said, 'I'll walk home.'  I said, 'Are you sure?'  She said, 'Yeah.'  I said I figured she didn't want me to know where she lived, or somebody was there and she didn't want to be seen together."

Officials on Thursday also released Bordeaux's missing persons report, which was filed by John Neighbors, who is a member of the soldier's unit at Fort Bragg.

Bordeaux joined the military in April 2011 and worked as a health service specialist.´╗┐

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Apr182012

Missing Soldier: Person of Interest, Questioned Twice, Denies Involvement

Fayetteville Police Dept(FAYETTEVILLE, N.C.) -- A 25-year-old bar hand who is a registered sex offender has been questioned twice by police in connection with the disappearance of a missing soldier and has been called a person of interest.

Kelli Bordeaux, 23, was last seen leaving Froggy Bottoms bar in Fayetteville, N.C., around 1:20 a.m Saturday.

Nicholas Holbert, 25, told ABC News 11 exclusively that he gave the soldier a ride home from the bar, where he works, but denied having anything to do with her disappearance and said he dropped her off at the entrance of her neighborhood at her request.

"As soon as you drive into the entrance to Meadowbrook, she said stop right here," Holbert said. "So I stopped and she said, 'I'll walk home.' I said, 'Are you sure?' She said, 'Yeah.' I said I figured she didn't want me to know where she lived, or somebody was there and she didn't want to be seen together."

The bar hand, who lives in a lean-to behind Froggy Bottoms, was questioned for a second time Wednesday by Fayetteville Police. He said he believed he was being targeted because he has a criminal record.

Holbert is a registered sex offender and was convicted as a 16-year-old of indecent liberties with a 5-year-old child, ABC 11 reported.

The search for the Fort Bragg soldier, who was reported missing by base officials on Monday, focused Wednesday on an area where her phone was last detected, officials said.

The last ping from Bordeaux's cellphone came late Friday or early Saturday off a tower off the Ramsey Street corridor, the area police plan to scour for clues, Fayetteville Police Chief Tom Bergamine said.

Bordeaux's family said she took her job seriously and would never miss work.

"Being a soldier, to Kelly, isn't something she'd jeopardize for anything," said Bordeaux's older sister, Olivia Cox. "Missing work isn't something that's in character for Kelli. This is an out-of-character thing to happen to my sister."

Fayetteville Police spokesman Gavin MacRoberts said there is reason to believe the soldier is in danger.

"There is some information we've gathered that makes us concerned for her safety," he said, declining to go into more detail, citing the ongoing investigation.

The missing soldier, who is from St. Cloud, Fla., has been married to her husband, Mike Bordeaux, who is a civilian, for nearly two years. He was in Florida at the time of his wife's disappearance visiting his father, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

Kelli Bordeaux's mother, Johnna Henson, told ABC News she was having difficulty coping with her daughter's suspicious disappearance.

"I can't function not knowing where she is. How can someone hurt her?" Henson asked. "I lost my mother and my husband within a three-months span. I can't deal with losing my child. I can't deal with any more loss."

Henson plans to join her daughter, Cox, at Fort Bragg to assist in the search for Bordeaux.

"She joined the military to make her family proud," Cox said.

Cox described her sister as an "amazing soldier" and a "self-motivated individual."

Bordeaux joined the military in April 2011, according to a Fort Bragg spokesperson. She was assigned to the 601st Area Support Medical Company, 261st Multifunctional Medical Battalion, 44th Medical Brigade, as a health service specialist. She joined the unit last November.

Bordeaux is 5-foot-1 and weighs 102 pounds. She was last seen wearing a pink tube top with spaghetti straps and black shorts. Anyone with information is asked to contact Fayetteville Police.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Apr182012

Search for Missing Fort Bragg Soldier Follows Phone Pings

Jupiterimages/Thinkstock(FAYETTEVILLE, N.C.) -- The search for missing Fort Bragg soldier Kelli Bordeaux will concentrate Wednesday on an area where her phone was last detected, officials said.

The last ping from Bordeaux's cell phone came late Friday or early Saturday off a tower off the Ramsey Street corridor, the area police plan to scour for clues, Fayetteville Police Chief Tom Bergamine said.

The area is near a bar called Froggy Bottoms. Bordeaux, 23, was last seen leaving the bar in Fayetteville, N.C., around 1:20 a.m Saturday. The private first class, who is stationed at nearby Fort Bragg, was reported missing on Monday by base officials, police said.

Bordeaux's family said she took her job seriously and would never miss work.

Fayetteville Police spokesperson Gavin MacRoberts said there is reason to believe the soldier is in danger.

"There is some information we've gathered that makes us concerned for her safety," he said, but declined to go into more detail due to the ongoing investigation.

The missing soldier, who is from St. Cloud, Fla., has been married to her husband, Mike Bordeaux, who is a civilian, for nearly two years. He was in Florida at the time of his wife's disappearance visiting his father, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

Bordeaux joined the military in April of last year, according to a Fort Bragg spokesperson. She was assigned to the 601st Area Support Medical Company, 261st Multifunctional Medical Battalion, 44th Medical Brigade, as a health service specialist. She joined the unit last November.

Bordeaux is 5-foot-1 and weighs 102 pounds. She was last seen wearing a pink tube top with spaghetti straps and black shorts. Anyone with information is asked to contact Fayetteville Police.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Apr172012

Missing Fort Bragg Soldier May Be in Danger

Jupiterimages/Thinkstock(FAYETTEVILLE, N.C.) -- Police are questioning friends and relatives of a missing Fort Bragg soldier who is believed to be in danger.

Kelli Bordeaux, 23, was last seen early Saturday morning leaving Froggy Bottoms bar in Fayetteville, N.C. The private first class, who is stationed at nearby Fort Bragg, was reported missing on Monday by base officials, police said.

"There is some information we've gathered that makes us concerned for her safety," said Fayetteville Police spokesperson Gavin MacRoberts. He declined to go into more detail due to the ongoing investigation.

Bordeaux, who is from Orlando, Fla., has been married to her husband Mike Bordeaux for nearly two years, according to her Facebook page.

Her mother, Johnna Henson, told ABC News she was having difficulty coping with her daughter's suspicious disappearance.

"I can't function not knowing where she is. How can someone hurt her?" Henson said. "I lost my mother and my husband within a three-months span. I can't deal with losing my child. I can't deal with anymore loss."

Henson said her other daughter, Olivia, is at Fort Bragg to help in the search.

Bordeaux is five feet tall and weighs 99 pounds. She was last seen wearing a pink halter top and black shorts. Anyone with information is asked to contact Fayetteville Police at (910) 433-1856 or CrimeStoppers at (910) 483-TIPS (8477).

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Sunday
Oct022011

Alleged Murderer Killed in Shootout after Weeks-Long Manhunt in Calif.

John Foxx/Stockbyte/Thinkstock(FORT BRAGG, Calif.) -- A massive police manhunt for a schizophrenic man suspected in two fatal shootings ended with his death during a shootout with police in northern California this weekend.

Aaron Bassler, 35, was accused of killing Fort Bragg city councilman Jere Melo and a local conservationist in August.

On Thursday, Bassler engaged in two shootouts with a local SWAT team, but got away. No law enforcement officials were hit.

"Friday afternoon a new burglary was reported to us with Bassler's M.O. -- ammunition, alcohol, limited food supplies and so forth were taken," Mendocino County Sheriff Tom Allman told ABC News.

The burglary occurred 14 miles away from Thursday's shootings in the woods near Fort Bragg.

"When that information came in we moved our tactical teams and were setting up on areas where he has been known to traverse," Allman said. "[Saturday] at 12:23 p.m., three members of the Sacramento County Sheriff's office SWAT team were in position. One saw Bassler walking towards them quickly, wearing black clothing and carrying an assault rifle in his right hand."

The SWAT team members believed Bassler was ready to get in a shootout with them, the sheriff said.

Bassler was about 60 yards away when he was spotted, according to the sheriff. When he was 40 yards away, the SWAT team members shot at him and he fell to the ground.

"He was considered armed and dangerous," Allman said. "We believe there was seven shots fired. We believe all seven hit him."

When the first shot was fired Bassler raised his rifle towards them, but was killed almost instantly, the sheriff said.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio´╗┐

Thursday
Sep012011

Jere Melo Fort Bragg Murder: Father Says Son May Have Killed Before

Mendocino County Sheriff's Office(FORT BRAGG, Calif.) -- The father of a man suspected of killing a popular city councilman in Fort Bragg, Calif., told ABC News his son may have murdered someone else in August, just months after he said the legal system ignored concerns about his son's behavior.

Aaron Bassler, 35, is currently suspected of killing city councilman and former Fort Bragg Mayor Jere Melo while Melo patrolled forestland on a private timber company adjacent to California's Noyo River. Aaron Bassler, who is believed to be schizophrenic, was tending two small opium poppy fields when he allegedly shot Melo with a rifle, according to police.

In the past, "he never really did anything violent but you could feel the potential there," said his 59-year-old father, James Bassler. "We were all pretty scared of him, that he might go over the edge."

When Bassler heard property manager Matthew Coleman had died of a gunshot wound about 15 miles away near Westport, Calif., where his ex-wife had recently dropped off their son, he connected the dots.

His ex-wife, Bassler said, had tried to help their son in the only way she knew how, especially after Aaron Bassler crashed his car into a school tennis court during a drunk driving accident six months ago that resulted in his car and license being taken away.

"A few months back she was able to acquire food stamps for him," Bassler said, explaining his son had given up growing marijuana several years ago and didn't appear to have any other source of income.

"If he called her up -- she gave him rides. I believe she dropped him off up in Westport area [prior to the Aug. 11 shooting]," Bassler said.

As of right now, police haven't yet determined if Aaron Bassler shot Coleman, too.

"We're waiting for our evidence to tell us if that's related," Mendocino County Sheriff spokesman Kurt Smallcomb told ABC News Thursday.

In the meantime, officers assisted by several groups including the National Guard and FBI continue to conduct ground and aerial searches, but Aaron Bassler has so far managed to elude investigators.

James Bassler says his son knows the woods very well. He said his son had been living in the forest for four months after getting evicted from a Fort Bragg cabin owned by his grandmother, who died recently and left the property to somebody else.

Jere Melo's death shook the small coastal town of Fort Bragg, with a population of 7,000.

Melo, who had been investigating reports of a marijuana farm on the day he was shot, was accompanied by a co-worker who managed to escape and call police on his cellphone.

Police sent a SWAT team to the rural, rugged area but did not find Bassler, who was last seen with a high-caliber rifle and is considered armed and dangerous.

Melo's memorial service is planned for Sept. 10 at the high school Timberwolf Stadium he helped build. It's considered by many to be one of his greatest accomplishments while in public office. He is survived by his wife and two adult children.

"I learned what schizophrenia was...way, way too late," Bassler said. "I'm so frustrated with the system, I'm telling you this didn't have to happen."

Bassler told ABC News both he and his daughter had called the jail after his son had gotten arrested for drunk driving half a year ago, and had also written letters to his public defender and the sheriff's office, begging for him to get help. He reportedly received no answer.

The sheriff's office was not immediately available for comment.

It wasn't the first time he said his family had tried to get law enforcement officials to pay attention to Aaron Bassler's mental health.

"He has a long, long rap sheet," Bassler said.

About two and half years ago, Bassler said, his son caused a bomb scare at the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco after leaving packages "with strange drawings and writings," described by the San Francisco Chronicle as "drawings of red stars and writings that referred to the 'Martian military.'"

At one point within the past year, after confronting his son about a cooking fire that could have spread to other people's homes, "he just blew up and threatened to take my life, and he just snapped into a real angry, scary mood," Bassler said, explaining his son's erratic behavior had been so commonplace that all of the odd and frightening moments had blended together, making it difficult to pinpoint exactly when each episode happened. Now, Bassler is hoping his son -- who was a "normal child" until he started exhibiting erratic behavior at age 19 -- will eventually get the help he needs, with the assistance of investigators.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio