SEARCH

Entries in Fox News (6)

Sunday
Sep302012

Carjacker Whose Chase Ends With Suicide on Live TV Identified

Andy Kropa/Getty Images(PHOENIX, Ariz.) -- An Arizona carjacker who shot at police and at a TV news helicopter during a high speed chase and ended the pursuit by getting out of the car and shooting himself in the head, which was broadcast live on Fox News Channel, has been identified.

Jodon Romero, 33, was wanted for parole violations and had a criminal record including a weapons conviction and numerous violent crimes, Phoenix police spokesman Sgt. Tommy Thompson said today. .

Police pursued Romero after he allegedly carjacked a red 2008 Dodge Caliber at gunpoint in Phoenix Friday, following an accident with another car he had been driving.

Cops were alerted to both incidents and realized the suspect in both cases shared a description. When cops began to pursue the suspect, he started shooting at police cars, Thompson said.

Police then fell back and followed the car from a distance. The suspect, however, shot at the Fox News chopper that covered the chase along I-10 outside about 75 miles from the California border.

Initial reports indicated that a victim may have remained in the stolen car, but Thompson said only the suspect was involved.

Chopper video showed the vehicle zooming along Arizona's wide open highway, flashing past cars and trucks, switching lanes as it weaved through traffic, at times speeding along the shoulder of the road.

The camera from the chopper captured the moment the chase ended with the man stumbling out of a red SUV into a grassy area. He reached into his waistband and pulled a handgun. He then shot himself in the head.

Police said the suspect died at the scene. No civilians or police were wounded in the pursuit.

Fox cut away from the shot soon after the man shot himself and went to commercial break.

Following the break, anchor Shepard Smith apologized for airing the shooting. He said the feed was on a five second delay, but they failed to cut it off in time.

"We really messed up and we're all very sorry," he said. "That didn't belong on TV... I personally apologize to you that it happened."

"It's insensitive and it's wrong," he said of airing the shooting.

Fox later issued a statement, which read: "We took every precaution to avoid any such live incident by putting the helicopter pictures on a five second delay. Unfortunately, this mistake was the result of a severe human error and we apologize for what viewers ultimately saw on the screen."

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
May182011

Secret Service Staffer Tweets about 'Blathering' While 'Monitoring' Fox News

NICHOLAS KAMM/AFP/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- An employee of the U.S. Secret Service accidentally sent out a tweet on the official Secret Service Twitter account this week saying that he or she “had to monitor Fox for a story. Can’t. Deal. With. The. Blathering.”

The tweet was almost immediately taken down, but not before some quick-acting bloggers copied it.

“An employee with access to the Secret Service’s Twitter account, who mistakenly believed they were on their personal account, posted an unapproved and inappropriate tweet,” Special Agent in Charge Edwin M. Donovan said in a statement to ABC News. “The tweet did not reflect the views of the U.S. Secret Service and it was immediately removed. We apologize for this mistake, and the user no longer has access to our official account. "

The Secret Service began tweeting just last week. Donovan said that “policies and practices which would have prevented this were not followed and will be reinforced for all account users.  We will ensure existing policies are strictly adhered to in order to prevent this mistake from being repeated, and we are conducting appropriate internal follow-up.”

Asked why the employee was monitoring Fox News Channel, Donovan said, “Our public affairs employees monitor all the news channels throughout the day for stories that affect the Secret Service.”

Asked which story this employee was focused on, Donovan said, “I don’t know.”

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jan272011

The Other N-Word: Rabbis Unamused

Photo Courtesy - Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- A full-page advertisement by 400 rabbis in Thursday's Wall Street Journal has put a spotlight on a trend many people see as alarming: the use of the word Nazi to bash opponents in public discourse.

In their advertisement, the 400 rabbis single out Fox News host Glenn Beck and Fox News chief Roger Ailes for using Nazi and other Holocaust references in slamming adversaries.

The rabbis are demanding that Ailes apologize and that Fox owner Rupert Murdoch sanction Beck.

"In the charged political climate in the current civic debate, much is tolerated," the rabbis write in their advertisement, published in the Murdoch-owned Wall Street Journal and the Forward, a Jewish newspaper.

"But you diminish the memory and meaning of the Holocaust when you use it to discredit any organization or individual you disagree with."

Ailes landed in hot water last fall for calling National Public Radio executives Nazis for firing Juan Williams, who also was working as a commentator for Fox News.

Beck has been under attack for three days of programs attacking liberal billionaire and Holocaust survivor George Soros. Beck described Soros as a "Jewish boy helping send Jews to the death camps."

The ad bashing Beck and Ailes was backed by a coalition of U.S. rabbinical organizations and timed to coincide with Thursday's Holocaust Remembrance Day. It was paid for by Jewish Funds for Justice, an organization that has received funding from Soros.

Ailes has apologized to the Anti-Defamation League for his Nazi comment but has defended Beck's practice of invoking Nazi terms to slam his opponents.

The ad by the rabbis says that Ailes should apologize for making "dismissive remarks about rabbis' sensitivity to how the Holocaust is used on the air."

In a written statement, Fox News Senior Vice President Joel Cheatwood said, "This group is a George Soros-backed, left-wing political organization that has been trying to engage Glenn Beck primarily for publicity purposes."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Monday
Oct252010

NPR CEO: 'Deeply Regret' How I Handled Juan Williams Dismissal

Photo Courtesy - ABC News(WASHINGTON) -- NPR’s CEO has apologized to her employees for comments she made after the company fired news analyst Juan Williams.

Vivian Schiller, NPR’s CEO, said that Williams – who said in an appearance on Fox News that he gets “nervous” when he sees Muslims on airplanes – should have kept his comments “between him and his psychiatrist or his publicist.”

“I stand by my decision to end NPR's relationship with Juan,” Schiller said in an e-mail to colleagues, “but deeply regret the way I handled and explained it.”

Williams told ABC News in an exclusive interview that his dismissal was the result of a personal and politically motivated vendetta which the veteran newsman described as "vindictive."

Conservative leaders have called to cut NPR's funding.

Fox News hired Williams full-time upon his termination from NPR.

Williams has not apologized for his remarks, insisting that they were part of a longer conversation that his bosses took out of context.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio

Friday
Oct222010

Republicans Push to Defund NPR in Wake of Williams' Firing

Photo Courtesy - ABC News (WASHINGTON) -- Congressional Republicans Friday pounced on NPR’s firing of Juan Williams in an attempt to end federal funding for the radio network.

Sen. Jim DeMint, R-SC, is planning to introduce legislation that seeks to do just that.  And over in the lower chamber, Republican Whip Eric Cantor said House GOP’ers will also try to terminate funding for NPR, denouncing the “over-reaching political correctness” in the network’s “rash decision.”

“Whether it’s people walking off The View when Bill O’Reilly makes a statement about radical Islam or Juan Williams being fired for expressing his opinion, over-reaching political correctness is chipping away at the fundamental American freedoms of speech and expression.  NPR’s decision to fire Juan Williams not only undermines that, it shows an ignorance of the fact that radical Islam and the terrorists who murder in its name scare people of all faiths, religions, and beliefs,” Cantor said in a statement this morning.

“In light of their rash decision, we will include termination of federal funding for NPR as an option in the YouCut program so that Americans can let it be known whether they want their dollars going to that organization,” he said.

The House Republicans’ YouCut program allows the public to vote online for the spending programs they want to cut. Defunding NPR though, would only scrap a small portion of NPR’s total annual budget, since the network receives the bulk of its funds from private sources.

Williams was fired this week by NPR after telling FOX News’ Bill O’Reilly that he feels “worried” and “nervous” when he sees “people who are in Muslim garb” on a plane.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio

Friday
Oct222010

Juan Williams: NPR Was 'Looking For a Reason to Get Rid of Me'

Photo Courtesy - ABC News(NEW YORK) -- Juan Williams was not surprised that NPR fired him this week and says that the company had been looking for a way to get him off the air.

“I think they were looking for a reason to get rid of me,” Williams told ABC News. “That they were uncomfortable with the idea that I was talking to the likes of Bill O’Reilly or Sean Hannity.”

NPR fired Williams after he said in an appearance on Fox News that he gets nervous when traveling and sees “people who are dressed in Muslim garb and I think they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims.”

“I knew about their antagonism towards Fox,” Williams said. “I knew that they really didn’t like it, and as I said I have been there more than 10 years and I have seen managers come and go and who dealt with this issue.”

Vivian Schiller, NPR’s CEO, said that Williams’ comments should have been “between him and his psychiatrist or his publicist” but she later apologized for the remark.

“I don’t understand why she has to get that low. You know she has an argument to make that I somehow violated some journalistic ethics that were values of NPR, make the case,” Williams told ABC News. “I think it is a very weak case.”

Williams, who just got a $2 million deal for three years with Fox News, said it is making him rethink his previous beliefs about the left wing.

“I’ve always thought the right wing were ones that were inflexible and intolerant and now I’m coming to realize that the orthodoxy at NPR, its representing the left,” he said.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio