SEARCH

Entries in Girlfriend (4)

Saturday
Jan192013

Manti Te'o Denies 'Faking It' in Girlfriend Hoax, Admits He 'Tailored' Story

Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- While Notre Dame star linebacker Manti Te'o told ESPN that he "wasn't faking it" when he talked about his love for a woman who now appears to be part of an elaborate hoax involving an online relationship with a fictional girlfriend, he acknowledged that he had crafted stories about the woman he had called the love of his life.

Te'o admitted to a few mistakes in his own conduct, including telling his father he met "Lennay Kekua" in Hawaii even though his attempt to meet her actually failed. Later retellings of that tale led to inconsistencies in media reports, Te'o said, adding that he never actually met Kekua in person.

Te'o explained that he feared people would think it was crazy for him to be involved with someone that he never met, so, "I kind of tailored my stories to have people think that, yeah, he met her before she passed away."

Te'o said he only learned for sure this week that he had been duped.

"When they hear the facts, they'll know," Te'o told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap in his first interview since the story broke. "They'll know that there is no way that I could be a part of this."

On Wednesday, Te'o received a Twitter message, allegedly from a man named Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, apologizing for the hoax, Te'o told Schaap.

The sports website Deadspin, which first revealed the hoax this week, has reported that Tuiasosopo, a 22-year-old of Samoan descent who lives in Antelope Valley, Calif., asked a woman he knew for her photo and that photo became the face of Kekua's Twitter account.

Te'o told Schaap that Tuiasosopo was represented to him as Kekua's cousin.

"I hope he learns," Te'o said of Tuiasosopo, according to coverage of the interview on ESPN.com. "I hope he understands what he's done. I don't wish an ill thing to somebody. I just hope he learns. I think embarrassment is big enough."

The relationship got started on Facebook during his freshman year, Te'o said.

"My relationship with Lennay wasn't a four-year relationship," Te'o said, according to ESPN.com. "There were blocks and times and periods in which we would talk and then it would end."

He showed Schaap Facebook correspondence indicating that other people knew of Kekua -- though Te'o now believes they, too, were tricked.

The relationship became more intense, Te'o said, after he received a call that Kekua was in a coma following a car accident involving a drunk driver on April 28.

Soon, Te'o and Kekua became inseparable over the phone, he said, continuing their phone conversations through her recovery from the accident, and then during her alleged battle against leukemia.

Even so, Te'o never tried to visit Kekua at her hospital in California.

"It never really crossed my mind," he said, according to ESPN.com. "I don't know. I was in school."

But the communication between the two was intense. They even had ritual where they discussed scripture every day, Te'o said. His parents also participated via text message, and Te'o showed Schaap some of the texts.

On Sept. 12, a phone caller claiming to be Kekua's relative told Te'o that Kekua had died of leukemia, Te'o said. However, on Dec. 6, Te'o said he got a call allegedly from Kekua saying she was alive. He said he was utterly confused and did not know what to believe.

ESPN's 2 1/2-hour interview was conducted in Bradenton, Fla., with Te'o's lawyer present but without video cameras. Schaap said Te'o was composed, comfortable and in command, and that he said he didn't want to go on camera to keep the setting intimate and avoid a big production.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Monday
Mar122012

Homemade Cannon Murder: No Evidence Killing Intentional, DA Says

Joseph Devenney/Getty Images(SAN DIEGO) -- The California man who allegedly killed his girlfriend with a homemade cannon had previously served prison time on weapons and auto theft charges and had pleaded guilty to domestic violence against the woman.

His history with the law could be why Richard Dale Fox is facing a first-degree murder charge, even though San Diego County Deputy District Attorney C.J. Mody said there was no evidence that the killing was intentional.

Fox, 39, pleaded not guilty Thursday in the death of Jeanette Ogara, 38.  Ogara died instantly when shrapnel from the device went through the couple’s trailer in Potrero, San Diego County, and struck her early Tuesday morning.

In a tearful 911 call he made to police after the device detonated, Fox can be heard sobbing and hysterically describing what happened, saying it was an accident.  In a jailhouse interview following his arrest, Fox -- who sustained shrapnel injuries to his right leg -- said he was sorry and wished he had been the one who caught the blast, rather than Ogara.

“[Fox’s] emotion won’t make or break the charge, but the fact that the prosecutor is saying we don’t think this is intentional makes you wonder well then, why did they feel the need to pursue a murder charge?” ABC News legal analyst Dan Abrams said Monday on Good Morning America.

Court records show Fox served prison time for gun possession charges and auto theft in the 1990s.  Fox also pleaded guilty in 2009 to a misdemeanor battery charge against Ogara, and was ordered to participate in a year-long domestic violence recovery program, in addition to probation.

The probation and a limited protection order against Fox expired in January.

“The best case scenario for him as this case moves forward is that jurors and prosecutors feel sorry for him and say this is a guy that clearly didn’t mean to do this and is completely heartbroken,” Abrams added.

Fox is also charged with the explosion of a destructive device and child endangerment.  The couple’s 4-year-old daughter was in the trailer at the time and was not hurt.  She is now staying with her grandparents.

Fox, who is being held on $3.5 million bail, faces a possible life sentence without parole if he is convicted.´╗┐

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Mar092012

Civil Suit Settled With Polo Tycoon Who Adopted Girlfriend

Brand X Pictures/Thinkstock(PALM BEACH, Fla.) -- A civil suit against a polo magnate who adopted his girlfriend in an apparent effort to protect some of his fortune has been settled, ABC News has learned.

Multi-millionaire John Goodman was sued by Lili and William Wilson for up to $100 million for the wrongful death of their son, Scott.

Goodman allegedly ran a stop sign in February 2010 and smashed his Bentley into Wilson’s Hyundai. He fled the scene on foot, according to police reports, leaving the 23-year-old to drown in a nearby canal. On a 911 call after the accident, Goodman tells an operator that he was “down the road to a barn.”

It was determined that Goodman’s blood alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit, police documents state.

Sources declined to discuss the details of the civil settlement.

The settlement came just as Goodman’s criminal trial is about to begin. Opening statements in the trial are scheduled to begin on March 13.

He faces charges of DUI manslaughter, vehicular homicide and leaving the scene of a crash. If convicted, he could spend up to 30 years in prison.

The tycoon’s legal woes attracted attention in October when he adopted his longtime girlfriend, socialite Heather Hutchins, 42, in an apparent maneuver to shield one-third of his fortune from the Wilsons’ lawsuit.

Neither of his two children are 35 years old, the age they are given access to the family trust.

In total Hutchins could receive as much as $200 million over the next 40 years.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Saturday
Nov132010

Proposal Rejected, Man Attempts to Run Down Girlfriend

Photo Courtesy - ABC News(PICO RIVERA, Calif.) -- A California man's rage at having his marriage proposal rejected by his girlfriend almost turned deadly this week when he tried to mow her down with his car.

Mario Francisco Hernandez, 22, showed up at a Burger Stop restaurant in Pico Rivera, Calif., this week with flowers and "Will you marry me?" written on his car. His girlfriend apparently said no.

After approaching the 21-year-old mother of his two children, Hernandez then returned with his 1987 Toyota Supra and, according to Det. Gabriel Ramirez of the L.A. County Sheriff's Department, "tried to run over the female with the vehicle."

Witnesses reported that the car blew out two tires after jumping the curb and barely missed a pedestrian.

Det. Ramirez, who knows the couple, said that they have been through hard times. The couple has two children, a 5-year-old son and a 3-year-old daughter, and with low income, the family has been living with Hernandez's parents.

Hernandez will be arraigned Monday. He faces a charge of assault with a deadly weapon.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio´╗┐







ABC News Radio