SEARCH

Entries in Grim Sleeper (6)

Sunday
Oct302011

Six More Deaths Linked to Grim Sleeper Serial Killer

Al Seib/AFP/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- Police have linked Lonnie Franklin Jr., the man charged with 10 murders in the "Grim Sleeper" serial killings, to six other deaths, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The new victims were linked to the Grim Sleeper through DNA evidence, ballistics and a 911 voice recording of the accused serial killer, the reports said. In two of the cases, ballistic evidence showed that the bullets used to kill the women were fired from a gun Franklin is accused of using in other killings, according to the Times.

Photographs of six missing women have been posted on the LAPD website. Their current ages, if they are alive, range from 24 to 61 years old.

There is also a poster seeking information on Inez Warren, a murder victim whose body was discovered on Aug. 15, 1988. The poster asks anyone with information about the woman to contact the Grim Sleeper Task Force.

The LAPD did not respond to requests for comment from ABC News.

Franklin, a 57-year-old mechanic, was charged with 10 counts of murder and one count of attempted murder in July 2010 for the infamous "Grim Sleeper" slayings in Los Angeles. He is accused of murdering 10 young women between 1985 and 2007 in South Los Angeles.

When detectives searched Franklin's home and surrounding property, they allegedly found more than 1,000 photos and hundreds of hours of home video footage in his procession.

Franklin pleaded not guilty to the charges on Aug. 23, 2010, during a court appearance. He remains in custody.

A DNA sample taken from the suspect's son helped in determining the identity of the "Grim Sleeper," who had eluded police for more than two decades.

A technique called familial DNA led police to Franklin in July 2010.

The police will not immediately seek additional charges for the six new victims so as not to complicate the current case against Franklin, according to the Times.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Apr062011

'Grim Sleeper' Suspect May Be Linked to Eight More Female Victims

ABC News(LOS ANGELES) -- Lonnie Franklin, Jr., the man suspected of being the "Grim Sleeper" serial killer, may be responsible for the disappearance or murder of eight more women, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said evidence uncovered at Franklin, Jr.'s home could tie him to six missing persons, one unsolved murder and the possible murder of an unidentified woman.

Police announced the findings Tuesday night as part of their ongoing investigation into a series of killings and missing persons in and around the Los Angeles community where the 57-year-old lived.

Franklin, Jr. is accused of murdering ten young women between 1985 and 2007 in South Los Angeles.  He had been dubbed the "Grim Sleeper" because of the perceived 14-year-gap in his alleged crime spree.

Of the six missing, investigators connected three of them to Franklin, Jr. with evidence found at his home.

Detectives also believe Franklin, Jr. is linked to an unsolved 1988 murder of a woman who lived and worked near his south Los Angeles home.

Another woman's identity is unknown, but police found a photo of her in his refrigerator -- a place that seemed to be where the suspect kept snapshots of several women.

It's "what appears to be his special location" for storing his cache of pictures, said lead homicide detective Dennis Kilycoyne.

Following Franklin Jr.'s arrest last summer, police spent three days combing through his home and property.  There, they collected mounds of evidence against the former city sanitation worker, including thousands of photographs of different woman, most of them unidentified.

This past December, the Los Angeles Police Department released 180 photos of those mysterious women in effort to solicit the public's help in identifying them.  The response was overwhelming, with leads pouring into the downtown Los Angeles police headquarters.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Friday
Mar252011

Grand Jury Indicts 'Grim Sleeper' on 11 Counts

Comstock/Thinkstock(LOS ANGELES) -- A grand jury indicted a man accused of being the "Grim Sleeper" serial killer in Los Angeles Thursday.

Lonnie David Franklin Jr., 58, was indicted on 10 counts of murder and one count of attempted murder. Franklin was arrested on July 7 after DNA evidence linked him to the murders.

The "Grim Sleeper's" first killing spree lasted between August 1985 and September 1988 and left seven girls dead. The second occurred between March 2002 and January 2007.

Franklin will return to court for a pre-trial hearing on April 4.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Sunday
Dec192010

'Grim Sleeper' Attorney Says LAPD Tainting Jury Pool With Photos

Photo Courtesy - ABC News(LOS ANGELES) -- The attorney representing Lonnie David Franklin Jr., the suspected "Grim Sleeper" serial killer, has criticized police for releasing photographs of women found at Franklin's home. Louisa Pensanti stated that the photos are of Franklin's friends and family, and that their release is "jeopardizing Lonnie Franklin's chance for a fair trial."

"The photographs include members and friends of the Franklin family, all now subject to the intense scrutiny of the public as well as the police," Pensanti told ABC News.

The Los Angeles Police Department said that they have tentatively indentified five of the dozens of women in the photos. Deputy Chief of Police and Chief of Detectives David R. Doan stated that "five people have identified five specific names" from the 180 images released.

Franklin is accused of murdering nine young women between 1985 and 2007 in South Los Angeles. He has been dubbed the "Grim Sleeper" because of the 14-year gap in his alleged crime spree.

A 57-year-old mechanic, Franklin was charged with nine counts of murder and one count of attempted murder in July in the "Grim Sleeper" case. When detectives searched Franklin's home and surrounding property, they found more than 1,000 photos and hundreds of hours of home video footage in his possession.

Franklin pleaded not guilty to the charges on Aug. 23, 2010, during a court appearance. He remains in custody.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio

Friday
Dec172010

'Grim Sleeper' Photos: Five Women Tentatively Identified From Tips

Photo Courtesy - Los Angeles Police Department(LOS ANGELES) -- The Los Angeles Police Department has tentatively indentified five of the dozens of women found in photos discovered on the "Grim Sleeper" serial killer's property.

L.A. Police Homicide Detective Dennis Kilcoyne said he could not comment on the names of the women or if they were dead or alive.

He said the L.A.P.D. would not remove any images from their websites until detectives can varify who the individuals are without a doubt.

Kilcoyne said his department and various area police websites have received over 8 million hits since the photos were made public on Thursday and the department has received hundreds of phone calls.

L.A. police released 180 new images of unidentified women. All of the photos were found on the property of the suspected "Grim Sleeper" serial killer, Lonnie David Franklin Jr., and police say they hope people will recognize the faces and contact investigators.

Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said in a press conference Thursday that investigators are asking the public to help identify the 160 women in the photos to determine whether they are still alive.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Dec162010

New 'Grim Sleeper' Photos Released

Photo Courtesy - Los Angeles Police Department (LOS ANGELES) -- Los Angeles police released 180 new images of unidentified women that were found on the property of the suspected "Grim Sleeper" serial killer, in hopes that someone will recognize their faces and contact investigators.

Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said during a press conference Thursday that investigators are asking the public to help identify the 160 women in the photos to determine whether they are still alive.

The photos show women ranging from teenagers to those who look as if they're in their 60s. Some are smiling, others appear to be unconscious.

"These people are not suspects," Beck said of the photos. "We don't even know if they are victims....We certainly do not believe that we are so lucky or so good that we know all of the victims. We need the public's help."

Beck also cautioned the public that some of these photos span back decades, and that these women "will have changed, aged."

Homicide Detective Dennis Kilcoyne, who headed the team that tracked down suspected "Grim Sleeper" Lonnie David Franklin Jr., would not comment on the nature of the photographed women's "lifestyle or situation." He did acknowledge that the L.A. Police Department was showing only the women's faces, which was "indicative of the content in the photos."

"Our best wish is that we get a phone call from each and every one of the them and that everyone is OK," he said.

Detectives also encouraged any of the women who are still alive to come forward and explain how they came to be photographed.

Franklin, a 57-year-old mechanic, was charged with 10 counts of murder and one count of attempted murder in July for the infamous "Grim Sleeper" slayings in Los Angeles. He is accused of murdering 10 young women between 1985 and 2007 in South Los Angeles.

When detectives searched Franklin's home and surrounding property, they found more than 1,000 photos and hundreds of hours of home video footage in his procession.

Franklin pleaded not guilty to the charges on Aug. 23, 2010, during a court appearance. He remains in custody.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio 







ABC News Radio