SEARCH

Entries in IHOP (4)

Wednesday
Sep072011

Carson City IHOP Shooting 'Not Unlike 9/11,' Sheriff Says

Scott Olson/Getty Images(CARSON CITY, Nev.) -- The sheriff of the Nevada town where a gunman shot up an IHOP restaurant with an assault rifle said Wednesday that the murderous carnage "was not unlike 9/11."

Carson City Sheriff Ken Furlong spoke after a third member of the Nevada National Guard died of her injuries from Tuesday's attack, bringing the death toll to five. The dead include gunman Eduardo Sencion, who shot himself.

Furlong said Wenesday that his city would always remember the senseless shooting that took five lives, but that the community would heal and move on.

"Yesterday in Carson City was not unlike 9/11. Families, communities, and the entire nation have been affected by what happened here," Furlong said. "We're a resilient society. We rebuild, but we don't forget."

Furlong said the investigation had determined that Sencion had not singled out the guardsmen, who were sitting together at a table at the rear of the restaurant, because civilians were also shot in equal numbers. Sencion walked to the middle of the restaurant where he began shooting toward the back of the room, where the Guard members were sitting, Furlong said.

Nevertheless, the base commander said that after the shooting he had issued an order for soldiers to not wear their uniforms off base, and extra security was added to the base.

Furlong said Sencion, 32, had a history of mental illness. He said Sencion was carrying an AK-47 style assault rifle, but also had a pistol and an additional rifle in his van. Furlong said the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is looking into how Sencion got the weapons.

Sencion, who was born in Mexico, was a U.S. citizen who had been here for a long period of time and had no criminal history, Furlong said. The only record police have of him is of three pawn transactions over the past year. Investigators don't believe he engaged with anyone else prior to the shooting, and have found no apparent ties between Sencion and the IHOP or neighboring businesses.

Witnesses reported that Sencion may have been shouting things while shooting, but Furlong noted that many of them were severely traumatized and those accounts have not been confirmed yet.

He said there were no security cameras that had footage of the rampage, which began just before 9 a.m. Tuesday.

Investigators are talking to Sencion's family members about potential mental illness. Furlong said the family is cooperating and is grieving.

Furlong released the names of and information about some of those killed, including National Guard members Major Heath Kelly, 35, Sgt. First Class Christian Riege, 39, Sgt. First Class Miranda McElheney, 38, and civilian Florence Donovan Gunderson, 67. The Guard members were at an offsite staff meeting, while Gunderson was eating at the restaurant with her husband, a former Marine Corps member, who was also injured.

Kelly, a decorated artillery officer, served in Iraq during 2004 and 2005 and lived in Reno with his wife and children.

McElheny, whom Furlong called a "fast riser," was a medical, dental, and human resources specialist who had served for 14 years.

Riege, of Carson City, served in Afghanistan from 2009-2010 and served in the Navy for two years. He was a father of three and an avid fitness buff.

Some of the survivors' injuries were "extremely life threatening," Furlong said.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Sep072011

Were National Guard Members Targeted in Nevada IHOP Shooting?

ABC News(CARSON CITY, Nev.) -- Investigators looking into the shooting rampage at a Carson City, Nevada IHOP restaurant Tuesday that left five dead, including the shooter, and seven wounded are trying to determine whether the man targeted a group of National Guard personnel in the restaurant, police said.

Of the 12 people shot in the rampage, five were National Guard members who were sitting together, all in uniform, in the back of the restaurant.  Three of the service members died, police said.

Because of where the Guard members were sitting and the fact they were in uniform, investigators say it appears the shooter -- Eduardo Sencion, 33, a Carson City resident who worked in nearby Tahoe and had no criminal history -- could have targeted them, Carson City Sheriff Kenny Furlong said Tuesday evening.

"Information suggests at this point in time that the National Guard members were sitting all the way into the restaurant along the southeast side and that Sencion entered through the front doors and traveled all the way through the restaurant to the back area," Furlong said.

"Obviously when five out of 11 of the victims are uniformed National Guard members, that's taking a priority interest in our agency," he said.

Investigators are still trying to determine what motive there might have been for the shooting rampage, the sheriff said.

"There has been some suggestion by his family members that there is some mental health issues that we are going to have to look into," Furlong said.

Sencion allegedly walked into the restaurant shortly before 9 a.m. brandishing an AK-47 and started shooting, then ended it by shooting himself in the head, police said.  He was taken to a hospital where he died three hours later.

Carson City Chief Deputy Jack Freer said the people wounded at the IHOP were taken to Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno and a hospital in Carson City.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Sep062011

IHOP Shooting Rampage: Guard Members Among Dead

ABC News(CARSON CITY, Nev.) -- A gunman opened fire at a Carson City, Nev., IHOP restaurant, killing three people -- including two National Guard members -- and wounding nine others before he ended the carnage by shooting himself, police said.

The gunman, whom police have identified as Eduardo Sencion, shot himself in the head with an automatic rifle at the restaurant. He was taken to a hospital where he died three hours later.

At least five of the people the Sencion wounded were members of the National Guard, a spokesman for the Nevada National Guard said. Two of those members died.

Carson City Chief Deputy Jack Freer said that the nine people wounded at the IHOP were taken to Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno and a hospital in Carson City. He said the condition of those nine people are unknown.

Sencion, a 33-year-old Mexican-born U.S. citizen with no criminal history, arrived at the IHOP in a blue minivan just before 9 a.m. and was seen running into the restaurant, police said.

Preliminary information was that Sencion was an ex-employee of the pancake house, but police now say that they can't confirm that about the Carson City resident.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Sep062011

Nevada IHOP Shooter 'Down,' Police Say

ABC News(CARSON CITY, Nev.) -- Police say a gunman who shot at least eight people Tuesday morning at the Carson City International House of Pancakes is "down," according to The Record-Courier.

Early reports indicate that three people are dead as a result of the shooting and that two were uniformed military members. The exact condition of the suspect was not immediately clear.

The shooting occurred just before 9 a.m. and prompted authorities to call in at least four helicopters and shut down a local highway.

This is a developing story...

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio