SEARCH

Entries in KSM (2)

Wednesday
Apr042012

9/11 Mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed Charged Again

FBI/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- Terrorism charges were referred Wednesday against 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four others, restarting the process to have them tried before a military tribunal.

The terrorist known among intelligence officials as KSM faces a myriad of counts, including terrorism, hijacking an aircraft, conspiracy, murder and attacking civilians, according to a statement from the Department of Defense. Nearly 3,000 people died in the attacks on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and in a Pennsylvania plane crash on Sept. 11, 2001.

In addition to Mohammed, Walid Muhammed Salih Mubarak Bin Attash, Ramzi Binalshibh, Ali Abdul Aziz Ali and Mustafa Ahmed Adam al Hawsawi will all be tried by military tribunal and face the death penalty if convicted. They will be arraigned at the Guantanamo Bay prison within 30 days, the Defense Department said.

This is the second time the charges against Mohammed and his co-conspirators have been referred. Nearly four years ago the Obama administration decided to halt the military process to explore trying the suspects in civilian court, rather than a military tribunal.

After years of political wrangling between the administration and Congress, the case was transferred back to the military commission last year.

Attorney General Eric Holder told reporters then that despite the decision, he still believed a civilian court would have been the best mechanism for the men to face justice.

The American Civil Liberties Union, which has been critical of Guantanamo Bay and the military commission process, blasted Wednesday’s announcement, calling it a terrible mistake that promotes “second-tier justice” that undermines the U.S. justice system.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
May312011

New Charges for Accused 9/11 Mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed

FBI/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) –- The U.S. government re-filed charges Tuesday against alleged Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four other suspected conspirators, paving the way once again for the group to be tried in a military tribunal.

The group, which in addition to Mohammed includes Muhammad Salih Mubarak Bin 'Attash, Ramzi Binalshibh, Ali Abdul Aziz Ali and Mustafa Ahmed Adam al Hawsawi, will face eight charges ranging from conspiracy and murder in violation of the law of war to terrorism.

"The charges allege that the five accused were responsible for the planning and execution of the attacks on New York, Washington D.C. and Shanksville, Pa. that occurred on September 11, 2001," the Department of Defense said in a statement announcing the charges. "Those attacks resulted in the deaths of nearly 3,000 people."

Mohammed was originally scheduled to be tried by military tribunal after his arrest in 2003, but the charges against him and his alleged co-conspirators were dropped when the Obama administration attempted to move the proceedings to the civilian federal court system. But after an outcry from New York city officials, where the trial would've taken place, and a protest in Congress, the government reversed its position in April.

Mohammed confessed to his role in the most horrific terror attack in U.S. history in 2008.

President Obama, both as candidate and as president, strongly objected to the military tribunals set up by the Bush administration. In 2006, he said their structure was "poorly thought out" and immediately upon taking office, he signed an executive order to close the detainee center at Guantanamo Bay. He later said that the tribunals "failed to establish a legitimate legal framework and undermined our capability to ensure swift and certain justice."

When the government announced Mohammed and the others would be tried in military courts, rather than civilian courts, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said the Obama administration still intends to eventually close the detention center at Guantanamo Bay.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio