SEARCH

Entries in Maid (10)

Tuesday
May152012

Dominique Strauss-Kahn Files $1M Suit Against NYC Hotel Maid

Jim Spellman/Wire Image(WASHINGTON) -- On the day he may well have been sworn in as the new president of France, former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn filed a million dollar countersuit against the New York City hotel maid whose accusation of attempted rape cost him his job and derailed his political aspirations.

In court papers filed in the Bronx, Strauss-Kahn said he suffered “grievous harm” to his personal and professional reputation, “emotional distress” and financial hardship because of what he called Nafissatou Diallo’s “malicious and wanton false accusation.” 

It was a year ago Diallo accused Strauss-Kahn, once one of the world’s most prominent bankers, of trying to sexually assault her inside room 2806 at the Sofitel in Times Square.  Criminal charges were dismissed when prosecutors came to question Diallo’s credibility.

“Ms. Diallo’s conduct,” Strauss-Kahn’s lawsuit said, “was so outrageous in character, and so extreme in degree, as to go beyond all possible bounds of decency, and to be regarded as atrocious, and utterly intolerable in a civilized society.”

Diallo’s attorneys, Ken Thompson and Douglas Wigdor, called the countersuit a “desperate ploy” in a statement provided to ABC News.

“One year to the day of his brutal sexual assault of Ms. Diallo,” they wrote, “this is yet another example that personifies Strauss-Kahn’s misogynistic attitude.”

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Aug302011

Dominique Strauss-Kahn Visits IMF, Apologizes for Scandal

Harold Cunningham/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- Dominique Strauss-Kahn paid a visit to the Washington D.C. headquarters of the International Monetary Fund Monday to say farewell to staffers and to meet with his successor, less than a week after New York prosecutors dropped all criminal charges against him.

William Murray, a spokesman for the IMF, said Strauss-Kahn met with current managing director Christine Lagarde and other staffers.

One IMF staffer told AFP that Strauss-Kahn addressed employees and said he wanted to “apologize to those who have been hurt” by the scandal.  The staffer said the former IMF head said he was sorry the case had a negative impact on the organization.

Strauss-Kahn resigned as the head of the IMF in May after he was charged with attempted rape and criminal sexual contact in connection with an alleged attack on a Manhattan hotel maid.  All criminal charges have been dismissed, but Strauss-Kahn still faces a civil lawsuit filed by his accuser.

Strauss-Kahn, a leader in France's Socialist Party, has expressed a desire to return home, but it’s unclear if he still intends to run for president in an effort to unseat incumbent Nikolas Sarkozy.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Aug232011

Prosecutors File Motion to Dismiss Strauss-Kahn Charges

Shannon Stapleton-Pool/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- New York prosecutors on Monday asked a judge to dismiss sexual assault charges against former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn, citing questions about his accuser's truthfulness.

Strauss-Kahn had been accused of sexually assaulting Sofitel Hotel maid Nafissatou Diallo in May.

In a 25-page motion filed with Judge Michael Obus, prosecutors said "evidence gathered in our post indictment investigation severely undermined her reliability as a witness in this case."

During the investigation into the incident, prosecutors say, Diallo presented three different versions of the alleged assault and lied under oath.  Her credibility "cannot withstand the most basic evaluation," prosecutors said in the motion.

"If we do not believe her beyond a reasonable doubt, we cannot ask a jury to do so," Assistant District Attorney Joan Illuzzi-Orbon said.

Obus is not expected to rule on the dismissal request until Tuesday, when Strauss-Kahn is scheduled to appear in court, possibly for the last time related to these charges.

Diallo's attorney says his client is "devastated" by the decision to abandon the criminal case.

Kenneth Thompson said he still believes there is sufficient physical evidence to overcome any doubts prosecutors have about the hotel maid's credibility.  He told ABC News that Monday's meeting involving three prosecutors from the office of Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance, Thompson and Diallo "was hostile."

"Joan Illuzzi basically told Ms. Diallo that they were dismissing the case, claiming because she lied to them," Thompson said.  "They totally disrespected Ms. Diallo by walking out on her while she was trying to ask them a question."

The district attorney's office by practice does not comment on meetings between lawyers.

Strauss-Kahn had long maintained he was innocent of the charges.

"We have maintained from the beginning of this case that our client is innocent," Strauss-Kahn's lawyers, William W. Taylor and Benjamin Brafman, said in a statement.  "We also maintained that there were many reasons to believe that Mr. Strauss-Kahn's accuser was not credible.  Mr. Strauss-Kahn and his family are grateful that the District Attorney's office took our concerns seriously and concluded on its own that this case cannot proceed further.  We look forward to attending the hearing on Tuesday."

In what may have been a last-ditch attempt to change the anticipated outcome of the crumbling case, lawyers for Diallo had earlier filed a motion to disqualify Vance from the case.

"The Manhattan District Attorney has denied the right of a woman to get justice in a rape case.  He has not only turned his back on this innocent victim but he has also turned his back on the forensic, medical and other physical evidence in this case," Thompson said in a statement Monday afternoon.

In the filing to disqualify Vance, Thompson said Vance "has sabotaged defendant Strauss-Kahn's prosecution."  He said Vance's handling of the case "has been inadequate and troubling."

Thompson accused Vance's office of treating his client "abusively."  He said the office failed to refute a New York Post article that called Diallo a hooker.

Thompson also claimed the DA's office was predisposed to dismissing a case it once called "strong."  He says an assistant district attorney told Diallo's counsel, "No one with half a brain would ever put her on the stand."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jul292011

Maid in Dominique Strauss-Kahn Case Holds Press Conference

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- Nafissatou Diallo continued her recent campaign Thursday to defend her honor against allegations that she was lying about being sexually assaulted by former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn.

Since Diallo accused Strauss-Kahn of forcing her to perform oral sex last May in the luxury New York hotel where she worked as a maid, the 32-year-old immigrant from Guinea has faced allegations that she was trying to shake down her alleged attacker for money, and that she's led a shady past that included being a prostitute.

Prosecutors in the case, who re-interviewed Diallo extensively earlier this week, have also cast doubts about her story, leading Strauss-Kahn to be freed from house arrest while he awaits trial.

After giving interviews to ABC News and Newsweek magazine to dispel notions she was making the story up, Diallo appeared at a news conference Thursday with community and religious leaders to issue a short statement that suggested she had unfairly become the perpetrator rather than a victim.

Among other things, Diallo said, "I hear a lot of bad things that they're calling me.  That's why I have to be here and let people know that a lot of things they say about me is not true."

The maid also said that she's been through a lot and that she cries every day.

Meanwhile, Strauss-Kahn's next court date is scheduled for August 23.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Jul062011

Maid in Strauss-Kahn Case Sues over Prostitute Allegations

Shannon Stapleton-Pool/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- The hotel chambermaid at the center of the case involving sexual assault charges against former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn (DSK) has sued The New York Post for calling her a prostitute.

The 32-year-old immigrant from Guinea contends the newspaper is guilty of libel for recently publishing stories and headlines that screamed, "DSK Maid a Hooker," "DSK ‘Refused to Pay’ Hooker Maid for Sex" and "She Saw Johns While in DA Protection!"

The maid claims the newspaper knew the information was false and printed it anyway, adding, "In an apparent desperate attempt to bolster its rapidly plunging sales, Defendant New York Post ran a series of defamatory articles."

According to the lawsuit, the maid, who worked at Sofitel Hotel in Manhattan where she claimed Strauss-Kahn tried to rape her, accused the Post of subjecting her to "humiliation, shame, scorn, emotional injury, embarrassment, loss of standing in the community, loss of self-esteem, public disgrace, severe and extreme emotional distress and ridicule throughout the world."

Prosecutors are said to have found holes in the alleged victim's accusations against Strauss-Kahn, who was freed from house arrest last week and could soon have all the charges against him dropped.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jul052011

French Writer to Sue Dominique Strauss-Kahn for Alleged Rape

Harold Cunningham/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- A French journalist and writer is expected to file a lawsuit Tuesday in connection with an alleged rape attempt by Dominique Strauss-Kahn in 2002, according to several media reports.

Tristane Banon, now 32, has accused Strauss-Kahn of attempting to assault her when she interviewed him for her first book, Admitted Mistakes, in Paris when she was 22 years old.

Meanwhile, U.S. prosecutors will proceed in this country with their investigation into the alleged rape of a hotel maid by Strauss-Khan, the former International Monetary Fund chief, as fresh revelations emerged in recent days that she has lied to prosecutors and to a grand jury.

"Our prosecutors from the Manhattan D.A.'s office will continue their investigation into these alleged crimes and will do so until we have uncovered all relevant facts,'' Cyrus Vance, a prosecutor in the case, said.

The New York chamber maid that accused French economist Strauss-Kahn of raping her in his Manhattan hotel room has cheated on her taxes, lied about a previous experience of rape in her native Guinea and might have been looking to profit off of her case against the French politician, according to the prosecutors handling her case.

Details that have emerged about the unnamed chamber maid may irrevocably damage the district attorney's case against Strauss-Kahn, who was recently released from house arrest when details of his accuser's past and shaky account of what happened between the two in at the Sofitel Hotel emerged last week.

The blow to the prosecution came after a three-page letter they sent to the Strauss-Kahn's defense attorneys disclosed lies and inconsistencies in the maid's past, along with discrepancies in her account of what occurred after she left Strauss-Kahn's hotel suite May 14.

After details of the maid's checkered past and inconsistent account of events were revealed to the court, Strauss-Kahn appeared before a Manhattan judge Friday where he was released on his own recognizance, and the stiff home confinement bail conditions imposed on him were lifted.

In addition to cheating on her taxes and lying about her income, there are also reports of several bank accounts in the maid's name with large sums of money, though she initially told investigators the hotel was her only source of income.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jul012011

Ex-IMF Chief Strauss-Kahn's Accuser Under Fire

JEWEL SAMAD/AFP/Getty ImagesUPDATE: Dominique Strauss-Kahn has been released without bail. Developing...

(NEW YORK) -- Manhattan District Attorney's investigators have uncovered significant issues with the account of the maid who claimed she was assaulted in a New York City hotel room by the former head of the International Monetary Fund, Dominique Strauss-Kahn, ABC News has learned.

Discoveries that the Sofitel hotel maid considered financial gain, had questionable relationships with at least one alleged drug dealer and other issues in her past prompted prosecutors to present their findings to the defense and represent a backdrop to a bail modification hearing Friday, according to law enforcement officials and other people familiar with the case.

While prosecutors were initially extremely confident in their case after Strauss-Kahn's May 14 arrest, as soon as they realized it was unraveling, they did what was proper and contacted the defense.  Senior prosecutors met with lawyers for Strauss-Kahn and provided details about their findings, ABC confirmed.

It is likely the strict terms of Strauss-Kahn's bail will be relaxed by Judge Michael Obus at Friday's Manhattan State Supreme Court hearing, law enforcement sources said.

The unraveling of the case was first reported Thursday by The New York Times, which noted that the prosecution and defense are engaged in conversations that could result in dismissal of serious charges against Strauss-Kahn.  ABC News subsequently confirmed that information.

The holes in the credibility of the housekeeper led prosecutors to doubt much of what the accuser has told them about the circumstances of the case or about herself, ABC News has confirmed.

The Times noted that among the discoveries, "one of the officials said, are issues involving the asylum application of the 32-year-old housekeeper, who is Guinean, and possible links to criminal activities, including drug dealing and money laundering."

Prosecutors from the office of District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr., plan to tell the court that there are problems with their case, ABC News has learned.  More details are expected to be presented to the judge, two persons involved in the case acknowledged.

According to The Times, "the woman had a phone conversation with an incarcerated man within a day of her encounter with Mr. Strauss Kahn in which she discussed the possible benefits of pursuing the charges against him.  The conversation was recorded."

That man, as The Times reported, had been arrested on charges of possessing 400 pounds of marijuana.  He was among a number of individuals who made multiple cash deposits, into the woman's bank account.

According to The Times, an official told the newspaper that "she told investigators that part of her application for asylum included a previous rape, but there was no such account in the application.  She also told them that she had been subjected to genital mutilation, but her account to the investigators differed from what was contained in the asylum application."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Monday
Jun062011

Dominique Strauss-Kahn to Be Arraigned on Sexual Assault Charges

JEWEL SAMAD/AFP/Getty ImagesUPDATE: Dominique Strauss-Kahn entered a plea of “not guilty” Monday to multiple charges of allegedly sexually assaulting a hotel room maid at a posh Manhattan hotel last month.

(NEW YORK) -- The former head of the International Monetary Fund, who is accused of sexually assaulting a maid last month in his New York City hotel suite, will be back in court Monday to be arraigned.

Dominique Strauss-Kahn is expected to plead not guilty to the charges stemming from the May 14 incident at the Sofitel Hotel. The 62-year-old faces seven counts, including attempted rape, criminal sexual assault, and unlawful imprisonment.

His lawyers appear to be preparing to defend him by asserting the sex was consensual and by seeking to discredit the accuser, a 32-year-old immigrant from Guinea.  The defense team has also hired private detectives to scrutinize the woman's story and her past.

Just the same, the maid's head lawyer has hired two high-powered attorneys to repel any assault on her reputation and credibility.

Strauss-Kahn has been awaiting the court appearance in a luxury townhouse in lower Manhattan where he's under house arrest.  He was released from jail on May 20 on $1 million bail.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Jun012011

Egyptian Banker Charged with Sexually Abusing Maid Arraigned

Brand X Pictures/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Mahmoud Abdel Salam Omar, the Egyptian former bank chairman who was arrested at a New York hotel earlier this week for allegedly sexually abusing a maid, was arraigned in Manhattan Criminal Court Tuesday night.

The judge presiding over the arraignment set Omar's bail at $50,000 bond or $25,000 cash.  The 74-year-old was also ordered to surrender all of his travel documents.

The case was adjourned until June 3, allowing Omar time to hire a private lawyer.  He was represented by an attorney from Legal Aid Services at his arraignment.

Omar was arrested Monday morning at Pierre Hotel on charges of sexual abuse, unlawful imprisonment, forcible touching and harassment.

According to sources, the executive was clad in pajamas when he answered the door to let the 44-year-old maid into his room.  Sources told ABC News that when the maid arrived, Omar asked her to leave the tissues he had requested on a table inside his room.  Once she was in the room, he allegedly closed the door and locked it.

Omar then allegedly grabbed the maid, kissed her and fondled her breasts and buttocks.  She fought him off and, according to sources, told him she wasn't there for that.  He then grabbed her again.  This time, sources say, he rubbed up against her and she again resisted him.  He then asked for her phone number.  She gave him a false number, and he let her out of the room.

Omar now heads El-Mex Salines Co., a solar salt producer in Egypt.  He had been chairman of the Bank of Alexandria, sources said.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
May312011

Egyptian Banker Arrested on Sex Crime Allegation by Maid at NY Hotel

Digital Vision/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- A prominent, 74-year-old Egyptian former bank chairman, Mahmoud Abdel Salam Omar, was arrested at New York's Pierre Hotel Monday morning in connection with an alleged sex assault Sunday on a 44-year-old room maid.

The attack allegedly took place when the woman delivered tissues Omar requested to his room.

The incident recalled allegations against another international finance official at a New York City hotel earlier this month.  On May 14, a maid at the Sofitel Hotel claimed former International Monetary Fund leader Dominique Strauss-Kahn sexually assaulted her in his Manhattan hotel suite.  Strauss-Kahn is under house arrest in New York as his case proceeds.

Omar was arrested on charges of sexual abuse, unlawful imprisonment, forcible touching and harassment.

According to sources, the executive was clad in pajamas when he answered the door to let the maid in.  He then allegedly groped her breasts and tried to kiss her before she fled.

Sources told ABC News that when the maid arrived, he asked her to leave the tissues on a table inside his room.  Once she was in the room, he allegedly closed the door and locked it.

Omar then allegedly grabbed the maid, kissed her and fondled her breasts and buttocks.  She fought him off and, according to sources, told him she wasn't there for that.  He then grabbed her again.  This time, sources say, he rubbed up against her and she again resisted him.  He then asked for her phone number.  She gave him a false number, and he let her out of the room.

"Experienced NYPD detectives found the complainant to be credible," said New York Deputy Police Commissioner for Public Information Paul Browne, who promised "further details" upon Omar's arraignment.

Omar now heads El-Mex Salines Co., a solar salt producer in Egypt.  He had been chairman of the Bank of Alexandria, sources said.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio