SEARCH

Entries in Man (10)

Wednesday
Sep282011

Arkansas Toe Sucker Nabbed

Conway Police Dept.(CONWAY, Ark.) -- Arkansas cops have arrested a 50-year-old man they say approached two women and harassed them about sucking their toes.

Local reports say Michael Wyatt, 50, was arrested in Conway Monday after two would-be victims picked him out of a police lineup. He was charged with two counts of misdemeanor harassment, and is behind bars in Faulkner County jail on nearly $1,300 bond.

Wyatt, of Vilonia, Ark., was convicted of felony terroristic threatening in 1992 and served a year in prison for telling a Faulkner County woman he wanted to cut off her feet and suck her toes while she bled to death.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jul262011

Missing Texas Man Found Alive in Manhole

Kevin Gonterman, 25, went missing in League City, Texas, on Saturday, July 23. He was found, alive but bitten by snakes and dehydrated, in a manhole near his home on July 25. (Courtesy of Texas Equusearch)(LEAGUE CITY, Texas) -- A mentally ill Texas man who was reported missing when he left home following a dispute with his girlfriend was found down a manhole, alive but dehydrated and suffering from multiple snake bites.

An incident report from the League City Police Department described 25-year-old Kevin Gonterman as "an intoxicated adult male with paranoid schizophrenia" who "ran away from home after getting into an argument."

Gonterman left his League City home around 4:30 p.m. Saturday. He was found around 10:30 a.m. Monday, but it took rescuers several hours to remove him from the manhole, which was located in a wooded area about half a mile from his home.

Frank Black, who led a team of volunteer rescuers from Texas Equusearch, a nonprofit group that searches for missing people all across the nation, told ABC News that Gonterman's mother contacted his organization on Sunday night. They started searching around 9:30 a.m. Monday.

"We got a call from the family of the man...and they told us that he had some problems with his girlfriend and he ran out the house and [was] possibly suicidal," Black said.

While League City police were reaching out to Gonterman's associates and checking his place of business, about 18 searchers from Texas Equusearch gathered with maps and ATVs to begin searching the wooded area near Gonterman's home.

About 45 minutes into the operation, searcher Robert Powell called Black with news.

"He said 'I found him.' I said 'dead or alive?'" Black recalled. "He said, 'he's alive but in bad shape.'"

The missing man was lying in the bottom of a manhole that was about 30 feet deep and about 30 inches wide. Gonterman was curled up on the ground and didn't appear to be moving.

The Houston Fire Department was called, and it took them several hours to remove Gonterman from the manhole. During that time, the man was speaking "incoherently," Black said.

He was transported to Memorial Hermann Texas Medical Center in Houston. A hospital spokesman last night said Gonterman was in good condition.

Rescuers believe Gonterman may have fallen down the hole as he walked across the wooded field in the dark. The manhole had no cover, Black said.

One person said Gonterman had been bitten by snakes "at least 5 times," apparently by venomous cottonmouth water moccasins, Black added.  

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jun302011

Man Gets Past Airport Security; Boards Flight with Fake ID and Pass

Creatas/Thinkstock(LOS ANGELES) -- The Transportation Security Administration is facing many questions Thursday after a Nigerian man was arrested for getting past security and onto a flight at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport with false documentation.

In a court document obtained by ABC News, an FBI agent who arrested Olajide Oluwaseun Noibe says he was able to board Virgin America Flight 415 to Los Angeles last Friday with a fake ID and stolen boarding pass.  The crew aboard the flight became suspicious they had a stowaway sitting in row three and turned Noibe over to authorities in Los Angeles, but for some reason he was released.

Noibe was then arrested on Wednesday at Los Angeles International Airport when he tried to get on a Delta flight bound for Atlanta.  After searching his bags, FBI agents say they found 10 boarding passes -- all apparently stolen.

Noibe is due in court in Los Angeles Friday.

Following the incident, the TSA said, "Every passenger that passes through security checkpoints is subject to many layers of security including thorough physical screening at the checkpoint.  TSA’s review of this matter indicates that the passenger went through screening.  It is important to note that this passenger was subject to the same physical screening at the checkpoint as other passengers."

The agency added that it could not "comment further on the specifics of the case given the ongoing FBI investigation."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Jun222011

US Airways Allows Man in Underwear to Fly

US Air(SAN FRANCISCO) -- At a time when airport behavior is closely scrutinized for anything unusual, passengers on a recent US Airways flight were surprised to find a fellow traveler dressed only in a blue bra and underwear, a sheer white sweater, black platform heels and stockings. The passenger was a man.

Jill Tarlow, an Arizona woman who was on board the June 9 flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Phoenix sent a photo of the unidentified passenger to the San Francisco Chronicle. She said that despite other passengers' complaints regarding the man's attire, he was allowed to board.

US Airways declined comment to ABC News, but spokeswoman Valerie Wunder told the Chronicle that employees acted correctly by not removing the man from the flight.

The incident came just days before 20-year-old University of New Mexico football player Deshon Marman made headlines when he was booted off a US Airways flight after airline personnel approached him about his pants sagging too low. Marman was arrested on June 15 after being told to get off the plane. He claims that his pajama bottoms were loose, but that just the top of his underwear were in public view.

Veteran flight attendant Mark Gentile, currently a US Airways union rep for the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA MEC, said that this case of the lingerie-wearing man is "certainly one of the most bizarre."

"I could see how someone could take offense to it because you're sitting inches away from someone on an aircraft and people respect their privacy and don't want to have that invaded," he said.

Gentile, who has been a flight attendant for 34 years, said that passengers behaving in bizarre ways is not uncommon.

"I'm surprised there aren't books written on the situations that occur...I don't think you could dream up this particular one," he said, recalling a time in his career when he witnessed a man try to use a closet as a bathroom on a redeye flight. "There's always something new that comes up."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Monday
May092011

Police Hope to Resume Search for Man Missing in Wilderness

Comstock/Thinkstock(RENO, Nev.) -- Authorities hope to begin searching again for the husband of a Canadian woman who was found alive Friday after surviving nearly seven weeks alone in the Nevada wilderness.

Albert and Rita Chretien's van became hopelessly stuck in the mud miles from any major road in mid-March. On March 22, after days being stuck, Albert decided to go to find help.

Despite a search of three states and more than 3,000 square miles, there is still no sign of him. Authorities hope to resume the search Monday if weather permits.

Rita Chretien was found Friday by hunters. She had lost 30 pounds and doctors said she was days from death.

At a press conference Sunday, the couple's son said Rita Chretien rationed the bits of food she had and drank melted snow to survive. The 57-year-old Chretien built a fire pit near the van, but it was too wet to start a blaze. She huddled in her van, stuffing pages of an old phone book in the window cracks to keep the frigid air out. She spent those 48 days reading her Bible and other books.

The couple's journey began on March 19, when they left their home in British Columbia for a 1,200 mile road trip to Las Vegas.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Apr072011

The Oldest Known Gay Man?

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- Archaeologists in the Czech Republic have unearthed the grave of what may be the remains of the oldest known homosexual or transgender man.

The prehistoric body dates to the Copper Age -- or 2,900 to 2,500 years ago -- and was buried in a manner that was typically reserved for women.

The skeleton was found on its side, facing east, and was surrounded by domestic jugs, objects previously seen only in female graves. An oval, egg-shaped container, usually associated with female burials, was also found at the feet of the skeleton.

"From history and ethnology, we know that people from this period took funeral rites very seriously, so it is highly unlikely that this positioning was a mistake," lead archaeologist Kamila Remisova Vesinova told the U.K.'s Telegraph.

Men of the period were buried with weapons -- stone battle axes and flint knives -- none of which were found in the Czech grave.

Vesinova concluded that the grave represents "one of the earliest cases of what could be described as a 'transsexual' or 'third gender grave' in the Czech Republic."

Not everyone is so convinced.

"He's clearly being singled out. They're making a statement by not putting any of these male identity markers in the grave," Bettina Arnold, a professor of anthropology at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, told ABCNews.com. "But what made this individual different? Was it their sexual orientation? That's a little tricky."

Some initial media reports suggested that the remains belonged to a "caveman." But by the Copper Age, 5,000 years ago, Europeans weren't cave-dwellers at all, said Arnold. They were "sedentary agriculturalists" – farmers.

Homosexuality, as Westerners think of it today, comes with a lot of added societal baggage that wouldn't resonate at all with prehistoric man, Arnold said. She pointed to examples of "gender transformers" across most ancient societies. Some Native American tribes, for example, have room for as many as seven different genders.

Men in many cultures throughout history have occupied a sort of liminal space between the two sexes: They would dress and act like women, but that behavior would have no bearing on their sexual orientation or who they slept with.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Apr052011

Georgia Man Sentenced for Tattooing Toddler Son

WSB-TV Atlanta(FLOYD COUNTY, Ga.) -- A Georgia man has been fined $300 and sentenced to 12 months of probation for tattooing his toddler son. Eugene Ashley, 26, pleaded guilty Monday to giving his three-year-old son a tattoo on his shoulder in 2009 that said "DB" -- short for "Daddy's Boy." Ashley pleaded guilty before the case could be heard by a jury.

Floyd County District Attorney Leigh Patterson called the tattooing of the boy "egregious," the Rome News-Tribune reported.

Patterson told the paper that it would have been difficult to take the case to a jury. "I don't know if we would be able to elicit a testimony from a child," Patterson told the Rome News-Tribune.

The boy's mother, Amy Ashley, was not cooperative and refused to testify. She was the only witness other than the victim, Patterson said. George Hawkins, the boy's uncle, has custody of the now five-year-old child.

Eugene Ashley--– who is not the child's biological father, but adopted him when he and Amy Ashley were married -- is not allowed to see the child. The boy's mother, Amy Ashley, struggles with drug addiction and also lost custody, Hawkins said.

The boy received the tattoo sometime between January and May 5, 2009, according to court documents. Officials from Georgia's Department of Family and Child Services noticed the tattoo while visiting the family's home, where the couple lived with their four children. 

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Mar232011

Elderly Man and His Dog Rescued off Coast of Mexico

ABC News(ENSENADA, Mexico) -- A 77-year-old man and his dog are safe after being stranded several days in high seas off the Mexican coast.

The U.S. Coast Guard rescued the man and dog from a disabled sailboat about 120 miles off the coast of Ensenada in Baja California Monday.

Shortly after 1 p.m., amateur HAM radio operator Rex Weinheimer picked up a mayday call over a HAM maritime network in Stonewall,Texas, near Austin.

"I heard someone calling, but I couldn't make it all out," Weinheimer told ABC News.  "The communications were so horrible that I could not tell the mental state or anything.  The signal would come up then drop out."

After 10 minutes of disrupted communication, he determined one person was aboard the disabled vessel.  Weinheimer said he also gathered that the boat was floating at sea in rough weather with broken sails and lines.

A commercial freighter, about an hour from the sailboat at the time of the call, was the first to make an attempted rescue, but rough seas prevented the freighter from getting close enough to the sailboat.

The HAM operator notified the U.S. Coast Guard, who dispatched a MH-60 Jaywhawk helicopter and a C-130 Hercules plane.

The rescue team battled 12-15 foot swells and high winds to reach the boater.

A Coast Guard swimmer eventually evacuated the man and his dog from the boat.  Both remained "calm considering being hoisted up in a helicopter at hurricane force wind," according to U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Henry Dunphy.  "The dog sat on the man's lap the whole flight back to San Diego."

Dunphy told ABC News the man, who wasn't identified, had no recollection of how many days he had been at sea.  The boat had set sail from Ventura, California.  Because he lacked food and supplies, the man and dog apparently had been at sea for several days, possibly headed to Tahiti, according to the rescue crew.

He was taken to a San Diego hospital for a medical examination.  Dunphy says both the man and his dog were fine.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Nov162010

Grey-Haired Bank Robber in California Baffles FBI

Photo Courtesy - ABC News(SAN DIEGO) -- The FBI and police in California are searching for the "geezer bandit," an apparently grey-haired elderly man who has committed armed robberies at 11 banks, the latest on Friday in Bakersfield.

The elderly persona -- whether real or donned for the robberies -- may be one reason why the bandit has been so successful. "People may think that because of his overall appearance he may not be as threatening," said FBI special agent Darrell Foxworth in San Diego. "But you have to keep in mind that he's an armed bank robber. And he has threatened tellers with the use of that gun -- we have photos where he is actually pointing a gun at a teller."

Foxworth said "witnesses described him as wearing a Halloween-like old man mask. Whether he's actually an elderly man or someone wearing some type of disguise is something we're considering as part of the investigation. We have not limited ourselves in any way."

The first 10 robberies in San Diego County and the most recent in Riverside County share characteristics with Friday's heist in the town of Bakersfield, according to the FBI. In these episodes, which took place from August 2009 through June 2010, the robber showed a demand note, asked for cash, pointed a revolver at tellers, and threatened them with a gun if they did not comply.

There is a $20,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the "geezer bandit." Witnesses described the robber as white, male, apparently 60-70 years old, 6 feet tall and approximately 190 pounds.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio

Saturday
Nov132010

Proposal Rejected, Man Attempts to Run Down Girlfriend

Photo Courtesy - ABC News(PICO RIVERA, Calif.) -- A California man's rage at having his marriage proposal rejected by his girlfriend almost turned deadly this week when he tried to mow her down with his car.

Mario Francisco Hernandez, 22, showed up at a Burger Stop restaurant in Pico Rivera, Calif., this week with flowers and "Will you marry me?" written on his car. His girlfriend apparently said no.

After approaching the 21-year-old mother of his two children, Hernandez then returned with his 1987 Toyota Supra and, according to Det. Gabriel Ramirez of the L.A. County Sheriff's Department, "tried to run over the female with the vehicle."

Witnesses reported that the car blew out two tires after jumping the curb and barely missed a pedestrian.

Det. Ramirez, who knows the couple, said that they have been through hard times. The couple has two children, a 5-year-old son and a 3-year-old daughter, and with low income, the family has been living with Hernandez's parents.

Hernandez will be arraigned Monday. He faces a charge of assault with a deadly weapon.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio