SEARCH

Entries in Mass Murder (2)

Wednesday
Apr112012

Mass Murderer Charles Manson Up for Parole

California Department of CorrectionsUPDATE: Mass murderer Charles Manson was denied parole Wednesday by the California parole board.

(LOS ANGELES) -- A California parole board will meet on Wednesday to determine if mass murderer Charles Manson could be considered "suitable" for parole.

Manson has been denied parole 11 times over the years and his several violations of prison rules do not bode well for any hopes of freedom.  He is serving a life sentence for seven murders in a 1969 killing spree in Los Angeles.

"We do not expect that Manson will show up.  He has not shown up for several of his latest hearings, since 1997," California Department of Corrections spokesman Luis Patino told ABC News.  "He told his counselor that he did not plan on attending."

Manson has been less than a model inmate.  He has violated several rules in the five years since his last parole hearing, California Department of Corrections spokeswoman Terry Thornton told ABCNews.com.

He has been caught in possession of a weapon, threatened a peace officer, and has been caught twice with contraband cellphones in the past three years, Thornton said.

Manson placed calls and messaged people in California, New Jersey, Florida, British Columbia and elsewhere, Thornton said.  The incidents, in 2009 and 2011, are still under investigation and Thornton could not comment on how he obtained the phones.

Those present for the hearing will include a commissioner, deputy commissioner, attorneys for both sides and family members of Manson's victims.

Attorneys from both sides will give presentations and read any documents by victims' relatives or other interested parties.  They will also go over Manson's prison records.

The hearing could last anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours, Patino said.  Then, the commissioners will go into closed deliberations and a decision is expected later in the afternoon.

The commissioners will decide if Manson is suitable or unsuitable for parole.  Once they make that determination, it could be upheld, denied or sent back by the governor to the full board of parole.  Even if Manson were granted parole, by law no formal decision would be made for 90 days.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
Aug082011

Ohio Gunman's Final Victim Was 11-Year-Old Child He Hunted Down

Comstock/Thinkstock(COPLEY, Ohio) -- The final victim of the rampaging Ohio gunman who killed seven people was an 11-year-old boy he hunted down, killing him in a neighbor's basement where he was hiding.

The gunman was identified Monday as Michael Hance, 51.

All but one of the victims' identities were released Monday with most of them being relatives of his girlfriend, Rebecca Dieter, who were in town from Kentucky for a family reunion they were planning on attending later in the day.

Rebecca Dieter was the only survivor of Sunday's shooting rampage. Police said she suffered multiple gunshot wounds.

Hance became the eighth casualty when he was killed by police officer.

Copley Police Chief Michael Mier told ABC News that police are baffled by the shooting spree which has stunned the town of 17,000 people, about 40 miles south of Cleveland.

"I don't think we can tell you with any degree of certainty yet why this happened," Mier said.

The most troubling part of the carnage, however, was Hance's apparent determination to kill Scott Dieter, his girlfriend's 11-year-old nephew.

What police have determined so far is that Hance shot his girlfriend at her home where he was also living. He shot five people outside an adjacent house: Rebecca Dieter's brother Craig Dieter, 51, Russell and Gudrun Johnson, their granddaughter Autumn Johnson, 16, and a teenager whose identity wasn't released because his family wasn't yet notified.

It appears the gunman then pursued at least two people through neighboring backyards: Bryan Johnson, 44, and little Scott Dieter.

Police said the two split up and ran in different directions. Hance chose to keep pursuing Bryan Johnson, who he quickly shot and killed. Hance then doubled back and went hunting for the boy, who had sought protection in a neighbor's house.

A woman had let Scott Dieter into her house and hid with him in her basement along with her own children and boyfriend, in an effort to protect him. Police say Hance forced his way into the basement and shot the child, but did not attempt to hurt anyone else.

While Hance was forcing his way into the home, a 911 call from the woman recorded the family's terror. In the call, a child can be heard crying in the background and the woman cries, "We are so scared," as the shooter enters her house.

After shooting Scott Dieter, Hance exited the house where he was confronted by a police officer and a civilian who was a former police officer. Mier said the officer asked Hance to drop his weapon, but shot him when Hance refused to comply.

Mier said that everything indicates that it was the police officer who shot and killed the gunman. 

Rebecca Dieter, the lone survivor, is in the hospital but police said her condition has not been released and they have not been able to interview her yet.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio