SEARCH

Entries in Megabus (2)

Friday
Aug032012

Megabus Crash in Illinois: At Least One Dead, Dozens Injured

ABC(LITCHFIELD, Ill.) -- At least one person was killed after a double-decker Megabus crashed Thursday on a highway between Chicago and St. Louis, the bus company said.  More than 30 others were hospitalized.

Illinois State Police said the dead passenger was a woman who had been seated in the front upper section of the bus, above the driver.

Authorities told ABC News that they believed the cause of the wreck was a blown tire.

The bus, which had 64 passengers listed on its manifest, according to the state police, slammed into a concrete bridge support on Interstate 55 Thursday afternoon near the town of Litchfield, Ill.  The company said it was headed to St. Louis and then Kansas City.

Thirty ambulances, five helicopters and seven fire departments were sent to the scene, the state police said.

A spokesperson for St. Francis Hospital in Litchfield told ABC News that it had received 21 patients.

Three other passengers were taken to Staunton Hospital and another three to Hillsboro Hospital.  In addition, some passengers were taken to Memorial Hospital in Springfield.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

The bus, according to a Megabus spokesperson, was traveling along a route between Chicago, St. Louis, Columbia and Kansas City.  Litchfield, the site of the wreck, was about 55 miles north of St. Louis.

The National Transportation Safety Board said it was monitoring the situation, but had yet to make a decision on whether to launch a full investigation.

In a statement, Megabus said: "Safety remains our number one priority.  The throughts and prayers of our entire staff go out to the passengers involved.  Megabus.com will continue to provide more details as they become available."

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Dec232011

Student Loses $172K Violin on Bus

Nichola Evans/Stockbyte(BOSTON) -- It might end up being the most costly trip Mu-Chen Hsieh ever takes. The violin student, who is studying at the New England Conservatory in Boston, left her most prized possession, an 1835 Italian-made violin worth $172,000, in the overhead compartment of a Megabus after her trip from Boston to Philadelphia on Tuesday night.

“It was a long ride, and I was really tired, and that’s why I forgot it. And then I realized it about 30 minutes afterwards,” the 19-year-old told ABC News Philadelphia affiliate WPVI-TV.

The violin on loan from the Chi Mei culture foundation of Taiwan was already back on the road by the time Hsieh figured out what had happened. Police were eventually able to track down the bus Hsieh was on, but did not find the violin.

“[The foundation is] concerned that someone may have possession of [the violin] and may not know what they have,” Lt. John Walker told WPVI-TV.

Hsieh was traveling to Philadelphia to spend the holidays with her host family; now all she wants for Christmas is to have her violin returned.

“I really hope that the person that took it can give it back to me so that I can continue my studies,” Hsieh said.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio