(COLEVILLE, Calif.) -- One person was killed and six people were injured Friday after a propane gas leak ignited in a military housing neighborhood in Coleville, Calif.
The leak ignited due to “unknown causes,” U.S. Marine Corps Captain Nicholas Mannweiler said in a news release.
Two of the six injured suffered serious injuries and were flown to area hospitals with third degree burns and shock.
The identity of the one fatality is being withheld until next of kin can be notified.
The blast, which occurred at 8:45 p.m. on Friday, damaged seven homes in the community that is comprised of members of the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center Bridgeport.
Thirty-eight families were evacuated from the housing complex after the blast.
Mannweiler said he expects damage assessment and repair actions to be taken in the next few days.
The Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center Bridgeport trains service members in high altitude and cold weather combat techniques.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio