(NEW YORK) -- Arthur Ochs Sulzberger, the former publisher and chairman of the New York Times, died Saturday at his home in Southampton, New York. He was 86 years old.
Sulzberger took over as publisher of the paper and as chairman and C-E-O of the New York Times Company in 1963, guiding it to international prominence during his 34 year tenure.
His son, and current Times chairman and publisher Arthur Ochs Sulzberger Jr. said in a statement, “Punch, the old Marine captain who never backed down from a fight, was an absolutely fierce defender of the freedom of the press.”
President Obama expressed his condolences to the Sulzberger family, releasing a statement saying, “…Arthur helped transform the New York Times and secure its status as one of the most successful and respected newspapers in the world…[His] legacy lives on in the newspaper he loved and the journalists he inspired. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.”
He is survived by his son and grandchildren.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Entries in New York Times (4)
(NEW YORK) -- New York Times reporter Anthony Shadid, considered one of the greatest foreign correspondents of his generation, died Thursday while covering the conflict in Syria. He was 43.
A two-time Pulitzer Prize winner, Shadid, who was an American of Lebanese descent, sneaked into the country a week earlier to cover the resistance movement that has been in a life-and-death struggle with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's regime over the past year.
According to the Times, Shadid died as the result of an asthma attack that his father, Buddy Shadid, said was brought on by walking behind horses that were used by guides that allowed him and photographer Tyler Hicks to slip into Syria from Turkey.
Hicks, who brought Shadid's body back to Turkey, said the correspondent actually suffered two asthma attacks over the past week, the second of which was so severe that it killed him.
Shadid, who regularly reported from war zones, including Iraq and Libya, seem to relish danger even as he was shot in the West Bank a decade ago and was kidnapped in Libya last year during the uprising against the late Col. Moammar Gadhafi.
Praising Shadid, Times publisher Arthur Sulzberger said in a statement, "Anthony was one of our generation's finest reporters. He was also an exceptionally kind and generous human being. He brought to his readers an up-close look at the globe's many war-torn regions, often at great personal risk. We were fortunate to have Anthony as a colleague, and we mourn his death."
Shadid leaves behind a wife and two children.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
(NEW YORK) -- The New York Times sent an email out to 8.6 million people Wednesday erroneously informing them they had canceled home delivery of the newspaper.
Some who received the email had registed on NYTimes.com in the past, but had never subscribed to the at-home newspaper delivery.
The email, titled “Important information regarding your subscription,” read: “Our records indicate that you recently requested to cancel your home delivery subscription. ... We do hope you’ll reconsider. As a valued Times reader we invite you to continue your current subscription at an exclusive rate of 50% off for 16 weeks.”
The Times apologized for the mistake, and tweeted: “If you received an email today about canceling your NYT subscription, ignore it. It’s not from us.”
The Times sent out a second email three hours after the first that read: “This e-mail was sent by us in error. Please disregard the message. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.”
Originally, Times spokeswoman Danielle Rhoades Ha said the email was spam. But spokeswoman Eileen Murphy clarified later that the email was sent not by the third party Epsilon Interactive, the service the Times uses to communicate with subscribers, but accidentally by a Times employee, according to the paper.
“We regret that the error was made, but no one’s security has been compromised,” Murphy said, according to the Times.
Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio
(NEW YORK) -- A war photographer for The New York Times, the only woman in a group of four journalists captured in Libya last week, said that she was sexual assaulted and threatened with death by Libyan soldiers while in captivity.
Lynsey Addario and her colleagues were released into the custody of the Turkish Embassy in Libya Monday, after a six-day ordeal. The team was detained last Tuesday when pro-Gadhafi forces stopped their car at a checkpoint near the war-torn city of Ajdabiya.
The soldiers pulled them out of the car and the group tried to make a run for it. The soldiers quickly caught them and considered shooting them, they told the Times. But the soldiers instead chose to detain them after realizing they were Americans.
Addario's shoelaces were removed and a soldier used them to bind her ankles, she said. Once immobile, the soldier punched her in the face, laughing as he struck her. The soldier then groped her breasts, setting off two days of disturbing sexual assaults by a series of armed men, she said.
As the fighting in Ajdabiya died down, the group was transported out of town. On the way, one soldier threatened to decapitate photographer Tyler Hicks; another stroked Addario's head and threatened her with death.
Addario and Hicks, along with Times Beirut bureau chief Anthony Shadid and reporter Stephen Farrell, who was captured by the Taliban in 2009 and rescued by British commandoes, were slowly transported to Tripoli.
They passed through pro-Gadhafi checkpoints along the way. At each stop, new batches of soldiers beat them up, they told the Times. They spent one night in the vehicle in which they were being driven and another in a prison cell before being flown to Tripoli Thursday, where they were held at a safe house.
It took three more days in Tripoli to negotiate their release, according to the Times.
Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio