SEARCH

Entries in Photographs (3)

Thursday
Sep292011

US Consulate Guard Charged with Trying to Pass Defense Info to China

George Doyle/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- A former guard who worked for the U.S. consulate in Hong Kong has been charged with attempting to pass national defense information to the Chinese government.

Bryan Underwood, a former U.S. Marine who worked as a contract guard at the consulate, allegedly tried to pass photographs and other national defense information to the Chinese government since March 2011.

Underwood, 31, was initially charged with making false statements to the FBI, according to an indictment sealed on Aug. 31.  According to that indictment,  “Underwood, did knowingly and willfully make a materially false, fictitious, and fraudulent statement and representation...to an FBI representative that he was intending to assist the FBI when he wrote a letter stating his ‘interest in initiating a business arrangement’ with a certain entity, when in truth and in fact the defendant knew at the time he made the statement that it was false.”

He was initially arrested on Sept. 1 and pleaded not guilty before Judge John Facciola.  Underwood was released from custody under his own personal recognizance but failed to appear at his next court hearing on Sept. 21.  The FBI subsequently located Underwood in Los Angeles and arrested him Saturday.

Underwood was charged in a superseding indictment -- unsealed Wednesday -- with allegedly trying to pass photographs and other defense information to the Chinese government.  According to U.S. officials, he allegedly reached out to the Chinese while he was in China.  One source alleged that Underwood might have been trying to provide bugging locations where Chinese officials could monitor conversations at the U.S. consulate.

It is unknown how much money Underwood allegedly was seeking from China for the photos.  Calls to his attorney in the federal public defenders office were not returned.

A court appearance will be set at a later date.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Monday
May022011

White House to Release Photo of Osama bin Laden's Corpse?

AFP/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- The Obama administration has photographs of Osama bin Laden’s dead body and officials are debating whether to release them to the public, officials tell ABC News.

“There’s no doubt it’s him,” says a U.S. official who has seen the pictures and also reminds us that Osama bin Laden stood at six-foor-four.

The argument for releasing them: to ensure that the public knows and can appreciate that bin Laden is dead. There's skepticism throughout the world that the U.S. government claim that it killed bin Laden is true.

The argument against releasing the pictures: they’re gruesome. Bin Laden is said to have a massive head wound above his left eye where he took a bullet, with brains and blood visible.

In July 2003, the U.S. government released photographs of Saddam Hussein’s dead sons Uday and Qusay Hussein but not until after they had been touched up by a mortician.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Monday
Nov152010

Mom Allegedly Sent Lewd Pics to Son's Teen Friend

Photo Courtesy - Houston County Sheriff's Office(HOUSTON) -- Lori Darling David, 37, is facing accusations of e-mailing nude photos of herself to her son's 16-year-old friend.

According to ABC News affiliate KTRK, authorities say the Katy, Texas, woman sent the teen sexually explicit text messages and e-mails, as well as lewd photographs of herself.

She is charged with two counts of online solicitation of a minor.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio