SEARCH

Entries in Restraining Order (3)

Friday
Dec282012

Ohio Student Wins Stalking Order Against Parents

Obtained by ABC(NEW YORK) -- A 21-year-old theatre student has obtained a civil stalking restraining order against her parents after convincing a judge that they attempt to control all aspects of her daily life.

Aubrey Ireland is a theatre major at the College-Conservatory of Music at the University of Cincinnati, often winning major roles in her school's musicals.  Her latest win wasn't at her prestigious music conservatory, but in court after she filed a civil stalking order against her parents.  

Earlier this month, Common Pleas Court Judge Jody Luebbers ruled in her favor, ordering that her parents must stay at least 500 feet from their only child until September 2013.

"They basically thought that they were paying for my college tuition and living expenses that they could tell me what to do who to hang out with ... basically control all of my daily life," Ireland told ABC News.

The dean's list student's complaints against her parents began when she realized they'd installed monitoring software on her computer and her phone.  They paid unannounced visits, traveling 600 miles from their home in Kansas, to meet with Ireland's department head.

They also accused their daughter of promiscuity, doing drugs and having mental issues to the point where they were considering going to court to order that she get treatment.

"My mom has always been very overly involved," Ireland said.  "I would have to get on Skype all the time to show them that I was in my dorm room, or there were nights I had to leave my Skype on all night and my mom would watch me basically sleep."

The student claims her parents, David and Julie Ireland, have been diagnosed with co-dependency disorder.  Her parents, however, say their daughter is just a good actor, and is lying.  They said she is "an only child who has been catered to all her life."

Because Aubrey has cut all ties with them in a very public way, they now want a refund of the $66,000 they've already paid toward her education.

"We're not bothering her," Julie Ireland said.  "We're not a problem."

But Aubrey said that taking the issue to court was a last resort.

"I never wanted this to happen, that's the last thing I wanted," she said.  "But I wasn't in control of my life at all anymore.  I knew that they were holding me back emotionally, mentally, and professionally and that it got to the point where that was basically my last option."

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Jan252012

Dad Gets Restraining Order Against Son’s Fourth-Grade Classmate

Creatas Images/Thinkstock(RIVERSIDE COUNTY, Calif.) -- The Riverside County, Calif., District Attorney is reviewing a classroom incident that led a man to get a temporary restraining order against a fourth grader who allegedly threatened his son with a knife.

The boy and the school district were officially served with the order Tuesday, said the father, Robert Casteel.

Capt. Danny Feltenberg of the Jurupa Valley, Calif., sheriff’s station, confirmed that a Riverside County court judge had agreed to Casteel’s request to order the boy -- whose name has not been released -- to keep at least 20 feet away from Casteel’s son, Christopher, 10.

Casteel, a 33-year-old nurse’s assistant living in Mira Loma, Calif., said Christopher told him Jan. 11 the other boy pulled a knife that morning in class and said he would “get you after school.”

“My son was terrified to go to school,” said Casteel. “I kept him home from school five days until I got the temporary restraining order.”

Feltenberg said he had never seen a restraining order against someone this young and involving school grounds, complicating enforcement and the legal issues involved.

A judge will review the case Feb. 8 and decide whether to make the restraining order permanent or rescind it.

The Jurupa Valley sheriff’s station’s investigation of the incident elicited conflicting stories, Feltenberg said.

“One side said the boy threatened Christopher, the other side said he didn’t, and there are witnesses on both sides,” he said.

Casteel said Christopher reported the incident to his teacher, whose response was minimal. When Casteel called the principal after Christopher got home, and the principal said she was on a conference call, he said. He called the cops, who located the boy and confiscated a small pocket knife from him, he said.

The boy was suspended for five days, Casteel said.

Bringing a knife to school is illegal, so the district attorney could decide to initiate juvenile legal proceedings against the boy, Feltenberg said.

Tamara Elzig, assistant superintendent for personnel of Jurupa Unified School District, would not comment on the incident or whether the boy had been suspended, citing confidentiality.

She said the situation was a first: “We’ve never dealt with this before in our district.”

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Dec132011

Granny Who Allegedly Shot Son-in-Law Sought Restraining Order

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(BROWARD COUNTY, Fla.) -- The 66-year-old grandmother who is under arrest after allegedly shooting her son-in-law at point-blank range outside her home in a Florida retirement community sought a restraining order against him the very next morning, according to court documents.

During a pre-scheduled pick up of her grandson, Cheryl Hepner waited outside her home Dec. 7 with the child's sleepover gear. When the 3-year-old's father, Sal Miglino, arrived she pulled a .22 caliber Beretta handgun from behind the bundle firing three shots, hitting him twice, according to the Broward County Sheriff's Office.

Expecting "something stupid to happen," as Miglino later told a 911 dispatcher, he'd switched his iPhone video camera to record -- and captured his attempted murder on tape.

Hundreds of pages of court records obtained by ABC News outline the two years of bitter divorce proceedings between Miglino and Hepner's daughter, and include details of a previous restraining order filed against Miglino by Hepner and his estranged wife, as well as the order the mother-in-law sought the next day.

After he was shot, Miglino pounced and wrestled the gun away from Hepner, then drove away while calling for help, according to police. Hepner, too, had called police, but with a different version of events.

The bullets hit Miglino in the shoulder and rib cage. He was treated for his wounds at a local hospital and released.

Hepner was arrested for attempted murder and denied bail following the incident, but her attorney claims that she is innocent and a victim of domestic violence rather than a perpetrator.

Investigators tell ABC News that police now believe Hepner tried to lure her son-in-law inside her home, allegedly to murder him with fewer witnesses present.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio