SEARCH

Entries in Senator (3)

Friday
Oct262012

Sen. Harry Reid Hospitalized After Car Accident

Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call(LAS VEGAS) -- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., was hospitalized briefly Friday after his caravan was involved in a six-car crash in Nevada, but his condition is “good” and he does not have life threatening injuries.

“Senator Reid’s condition is good,” Karen Gordon of the University Medical Center in Las Vegas confirmed to ABC News.

“He experienced rib and hip contusions and has been cleared for release by the doctors,” Sen. Reid’s office said in a statement. Some of Senator Reid’s detail and a staffer had minor injuries in the accident and were evaluated at UMC.

The crash happened shortly after 4 p.m. Eastern Time while his caravan of four cars was driving on I-15 northbound hear Sahara. Reid is a member of the Congressional leadership so he gets a security detail.

Reid, according to aides, was just taken to the hospital “as a precaution” and walked in on his own. He was wearing his seat belt at the time of the accident, according to an aide. He has since been released from the hospital.

Earlier Friday Reid had delivered the keynote address at the dedication of the National Atomic Testing Museum. Reid’s wife was not with him during the accident, she was at an event with first lady Michelle Obama in Nevada.

The Reid family has been prone to accidents and health related incidents in the last few years.

In March of 2011 Reid’s wife and daughter were hospitalized after their own, and very serious, car crash in Northern Virginia. His wife was hospitalized with a broken back and neck after a truck slammed into the back of the minivan they were riding in.

In addition, Senator Reid in May 2011 slipped in the rain in Washington, DC and dislocated his shoulder and had a bump over his left eye.

Not an accident, but another health related incident, Mrs. Reid was also diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer in September of 2011 but is so far making a full recovery.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
Jan302012

Senator Booted From Restaurant Over ‘Homophobic’ Views

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(KNOXVILLE, Tenn.) -- A Knoxville, Tenn., restaurant owner has drawn cheers and jeers for refusing to serve a state senator whose beliefs she viewed as homophobic.

Republican state Sen. Stacey Campfield told ABC News he went out to brunch at The Bistro at Bijou restaurant on Sunday with some friends after doing a radio show, but the owner of the restaurant quickly approached him, refusing service.

“We were just standing there waiting for a table, and this woman came up to me saying, ‘I’m not serving you, I’m not serving you, you hate gay people,’” Campfield said. “‘I said ma’am I’m not a homophobe,’ and I offered to send her links from the CDC website to back up what I said about homosexuality being a dangerous lifestyle, and being a risky behavior.”

Martha Boggs, the owner of the Bistro at Bijou, located on Gay Street, said that she saw Campfield walk in and thought immediately that he was not welcome in her restaurant because of his comments on homosexuality.

“It was one of those spur-of-the-moment things. I didn’t think about what I was doing, but all I did was look at his smug face, and told myself I do not want to serve him. His comments have gone from stupid to dangerous and I think someone needs to stand up to him,” Boggs said.

At the heart of the spat between Boggs and Campfield were the senator’s recent comments that heterosexual sex was safer than homosexual sex, and recently proposed legislation that K-8 schools should only teach about heterosexual sex to students. Boggs said his comments were inappropriate, while Campfield, who is straight, said Monday that his opinion is backed up by research from the Center for Disease Control.

“I was talking last week on a radio show and I said the homosexual lifestyle is a dangerous lifestyle. There are heterosexuals in Africa that do have it (AIDS), but the odds of a person getting AIDS in America is much less unless you’re having sex with a high-risk group,” Campfield said.

Campfield referred to CDC statistics, which, according to data from 2008, show that 54 percent of HIV cases diagnosed that year were from same-sex contact among males, while 32 percent was contracted from heterosexual sexual contact. Neither the CDC nor Campfield addressed female homosexual behavior.

On the radio show, however, Campfield said that it was “virtually impossible” to contract HIV/AIDS through heterosexual sex.

“My understanding is that it is virtually -- not completely, but virtually -- impossible to contract AIDS through heterosexual sex...very rarely [transmitted],” he said.

Boggs said she was happy to stand up to him.

“The most dangerous statements he made was that it’s virtually impossible for people to get AIDS through heterosexual sex, and I told him to leave because I was defending the rights of the community and pointing out to an elected official how inappropriate his opinion was. I think Mr. Campfield is a bully so I just stood up to a bully.”

Campfield said he didn’t take the incident too seriously and wouldn’t file any discrimination complaint, but thought it illustrated a problem with the other political party.

“I sort of laugh about that kind of stuff, and view it as another example of the left saying they’re open to people with divergent points of view until someone has a different point of view,” he said.

Following the confrontation, Boggs took Facebook, writing, “I hope Stacy (sic) Campfield now knows what it feels like to be discriminated against.”

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Nov302010

McCain Wants Heads to Roll for Wikileaks, Others Say Not Likely

Photo Courtesy - ABC News(WASHINGTON) -- Sen. John McCain demanded Tuesday that top brass be disciplined for the massive security breach of classified documents that are now spilling out of the Wikileaks website, but former Washington officials said it's unlikely that anyone will be held accountable beyond the lowly private who is now in jail.

"Let's go back to the principle of need-to-know. Why would a private first class have access to all of this information? Somebody is responsible for that and it isn't just the private first class. They should be held accountable for a change," McCain, R-Ariz., told ABC News.

Wikileaks' release of the latest tranche of secret diplomatic cables spurred federal agencies to launch investigations, promises of improved regulations, and vows to prosecute Army Private Bradley Manning and Wikileaks' director Julian Assange.

Manning has been held in a Quantico, Va., brig awaiting court martial since July, but no senior officials or military officers have taken responsibility for the historic security breach and none have been threatened with losing their jobs.

"We probably are not going to see heads roll," said Gen. Jack Keane, a retired four star general and former Acting Army Chief of Staff. "The supervisors in this case will likely get a pass because this is a major deception."

The military says it will not comment on who, if anyone else might be held responsible until it completes an ongoing investigation.

Manning is alleged to have downloaded vast numbers of secret diplomatic cables and military documents while working as an intelligence analyst, committing the greatest security breach in U.S. history using little more than a memory stick and a Lady Gaga CD.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio