SEARCH

Entries in Statement (3)

Monday
Apr092012

George Zimmerman Releases First Public Statement About Trayvon Martin Case

ABC News/Orange County Jail(SANFORD, Fla.) -- After weeks of silence and seclusion, George Zimmerman has released a public statement about the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, referring to incident as a "life altering event" on his website, therealgeorgezimmerman.com.

In a statement on the site, which Zimmerman's attorneys have confirmed to ABC News belongs to him, the 28-year-old wrote, "As a result of the incident and subsequent media coverage, I have been forced to leave my home, my school, my employer, my family and ultimately my entire life."

Zimmerman says his website gives him an outlet to speak directly to his supporters. On the site he created a PayPal account where he also asks supporters to donate to his legal fund and living expenses. However, the site has been unavailable intermittently throughout the day.

These first public comments come as the special prosecutor investigating the shooting decided against empaneling a grand jury to seek an indictment against Zimmerman. The decision to forego a grand jury precludes a first-degree murder charge, but prosecutors insist that was never a viable option. Charges against Zimmerman, if filed, could come within days.

"The state must go forward and be able to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt," said Angela Corey, the special prosecutor assigned to the case, in a statement.

Corey, a state's attorney based in Jacksonville, took over the case three weeks after the Feb. 26 shooting. Her team has had to re-investigate virtually the entire case from scratch after a string of alleged police missteps.

Zimmerman told police that he shot the 17-year-old teen in self-defense. His attorneys tell ABC News they plan on invoking Florida's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law, which would be a tough defense for Corey to overcome.

"It makes the case, in general, more difficult than a normal criminal case," Corey recently told ABC News.

Hal Uhrig, Zimmerman's attorney, in a statement to ABC News called Corey a "fair" prosecutor, adding, "We are hopeful she sees the clear evidence, applies the law and declines to prosecute."

As Corey's investigation continues, Sanford remains a city on edge. Earlier protestors demanding Zimmerman's arrest blockaded the Sanford police department, forcing its closure for several hours. Emergency operation centers opened in three counties in anticipation of possible unrest as the days continue to drag on without an arrest.

"Are we are a kindling box? Sure," said Sanford mayor Jeff Triplett in an interview Monday. "But we plan for the worst and hope for the best…and so far all the protests so far have been absolutely peaceful."

In the first meeting of the Sanford city commissioners since the former police chief was publicly rebuked via a vote of no confidence, tensions continued to simmer over how the city has handled the investigation and response.

A black veteran yelled at commissioners, "If Zimmerman don't get arrested, I really believe there's going to be some retaliation … because we failed to take responsibility in Sanford."

The heated rhetoric forced one Zimmerman family member to lash out in a letter obtained by Daily Caller written to Attorney General Eric Holder. After citing the U.S. Department of Justice's published definition of a "hate crime," the Zimmerman family member wrote that there is "no other explanation for Holder's failure to authorize arrests of New Black Panther Party members other than the fact that Holder himself is black."

As a city, state and nation continue to fixate on this case, the Martin family says they remain hopeful that Zimmerman will be arrested. A statement from family attorney Benjamin Crump states that the family is "hopeful that a decision will be reached very soon to arrest George Zimmerman and give Trayvon Martin's family the simple justice they have been seeking all along."

video platform video management video solutions video player

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Sunday
Mar042012

CVS Releases Statement Regarding Drug Mistake

Comstock/Jupiterimages/Thinkstock(CHATHAM, N.J.) -- Parents in Chatham, N.J., are expressing outrage and concern after a CVS pharmacy mistakenly gave them a drug used to fight cancer instead of fluoride pills for their children’s teeth.

The parents who came to the CVS pharmacy on Main Street were actually bringing home tamoxifen—a powerful drug to fight breast cancer.

Somehow, the mix up went on undetected for at least two months and maybe longer.

“It’s something that’s very disheartening to see that happen and who knows what else they did wrong,” said parent Davin Clark.

For its part, CVS Caremark released this statement to ABC News:

“The health and safety of our customers is our highest priority and we are deeply sorry for the mistake that occurred at our Chatham, NJ pharmacy. Beginning last week, we have contacted or have left messages for every family whose child was dispensed a 0.5 mg fluoride prescription from our Chatham location within the past 60 days.

Fortunately, most of the families we have spoken to did not indicate that their children received any incorrect pills. We will continue to follow up with families who believe that their children may have ingested incorrect medication.

CVS/pharmacy has industry-leading pharmacy systems and processes designed to enhance the safety of the prescription filling process, including inventory controls that keep similar-looking medications in separate areas, such as fluoride tablets and tamoxifen. We are actively investigating this matter to determine how the mistake occurred in order to take corrective actions to prevent this from happening again.

Prescription errors are a rare occurrence, however since any process involving people is not immune from the possibility of human error, we are committed to continually improving quality measures to help ensure that prescriptions are dispensed safely and accurately.”

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jan112011

Family of Jared Lee Loughner Releases Statement

Photo Courtesy - Getty Images(TUCSON) -- The parents of alleged Tucson shooter Jared Lee Loughner have finally made a statement to the public.

Since Saturday's shooting rampage, Randy and Amy Loughner have sealed themselves inside their suburban Tucson home, blocking access to the front door with a piece of wood to presumably keep people off their property.

On Tuesday, Andrew Harrison Sowards and Jeremy (Eric) Voss, both of the public defender's office, emerged from the Loughner's home to release a statement on behalf of the Loughner family.

The statement, in paper form, reads as follows:

This is a very difficult time for us.  We ask the media to respect our privacy.  There are no words that can possibly express how we feel.  We wish that there were so we could make you feel better.  We don't understand why this happened.  It may not make any difference, but we wish that we could change the heinous events of Saturday.  We care very deeply [about] the victims and their families.  We are so very sorry for their loss.
Thank you.
The Loughner Family


Voss advised reporters that there will be no public, in-person statements from the Loughner family in the "foreseeable future."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio