(SAN BERNARDINO, Calif.) -- Officials say three members of a San Bernardino family died Friday when they were checking out downed power lines in their backyard. Officials say high winds overnight knocked down tree limbs and power lines in the area.
Local reports say there were small fires on the lawn and the homeowner went outside to inspect them. The fires were apparently caused by the downed wires. When the man came into contact with the lines, he was killed. Apparently the man inadvertently touched the 16,000 volt line and died first. His wife rushed out to help him, not realizing what had happened. She too was immediately electrocuted. That scenario played out one more time when their 21-year-old son was also killed. They are identified as 44-year-old Steven Vego, 43-year-old Sharon Vego and their son, Jonathan Cole.
Two other family members, a 10-year-old boy and a 17-year-old girl, were in the house and are uninjured. They were in the care of other family members on Saturday.
Steven Vego's brother, Frank, was furious on Saturday, telling ABC News affiliate KABC-TV that this is the second time the line has come down on the house. Southern California Edison is investigating.
Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio