SEARCH

Entries in The View (6)

Monday
Sep242012

Obama to Work with Kids After Presidency, He Tells "The View"

ABC/Donna Svennevik(NEW YORK) -- After his presidency is finished --whether it is this year or in 2016 -- President Barack Obama said Monday that he would like to work with kids in the next phase of his life.

Obama was asked during a taping of ABC’s The View Monday in New York City what he sees himself doing after he is no longer president.

“Well, you know, first things first here,” Obama said to laughter. “There’s all kinds of things I want to do in the second term, uh, putting folks back to work, making sure our schools are up to snuff.”

“And then?” Barbara Walters, host of the show, said.

“You know, in a post-presidency, the thing that I think I would enjoy most is spending time working with kids,” Obama said. “I love teaching, I miss teaching, and you know, I’m not sure it would necessarily be in a classroom, but the idea of being able to go around in various cities and helping to create mentorships, and apprenticeships, giving young people the sense of possibility and opportunity, and using whatever spotlight I can shine to show how much incredible talent there is out there.”

Obama said that one of the things he has most enjoyed about being president is meeting smart, energetic young people who have ideas for making a better world. He hopes to work with more young people after his term -- or terms -- are finished.

“So making sure that we’re reaching all those kids and giving them a sense, here’s what’s possible to you, let’s open up some doors for them, something along those lines, I think I’d really enjoy doing,” Obama said.

 

Obama appeared on the show with his wife, Michelle Obama, who also discussed her plans.  Both she and President Obama reiterated that she would not be making any bid for public office.

“She should run for office, but she says she doesn’t want to,” the president said.

“Yeah, no,” the first lady said to laughter.

“I mean, Michelle would be terrific,” the president said, “but temperamentally I just don’t think…”

“No, it’s absolutely true,” Michelle continued. “It takes a lot of patience to be the president of the United States, and I’m not that patient.”‘

The first lady said that she enjoyed being able to hand-pick projects she’s passionate about, and would continue focusing on helping veterans returning from war and their families in the coming years.

The full episode of The View will air Tuesday at 11 a.m. EST.


Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jun262012

Rielle Hunter Says She Doesn't Believe in Infidelity

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- Rielle Hunter and John Edwards have ended their controversial affair after she released a tell-all memoir that contained negative comments about his marraige Elizabeth Edwards, who is now deceased after losing her battle to cancer.

Hunter said today that one reason they split up was because she was "no longer interested in hiding."  The former mistress dropped her bombshell during an interview with ABC News' George Stephanopoulos on Good Morning America.

"We are a family, but as of the end of last week John Edwards and I are no longer a couple. Not at all," she said. When asked if she still loved Edwards, Hunter replied, "I do."

Stephanopoulos asked if Edwards still loved her and she said, "You have to ask him. I think he does. I mean I feel that he does."

The interview began with Stephanopoulos asking Hunter, who gave birth to a girl named Frances Quinn with Edwards, whether knowing what she knows now, would she do it all again.

"Would I do that again?" repeats Hunter almost incredulously. "No way. Absolutely not."

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Hunter's announcement came out the same day her revealing memoir What Really Happened: John Edwards, Our Daughter and Me was released.

The book revealed that Edwards had several mistresses before her, but it also angered people for her harsh criticism of Edwards' wife Elizabeth, who was dying of cancer at the time of their affair. Elizabeth Edwards has since died of the disease.

Hours after the GMA appearance Hunter sat down with the five female hosts on the ABC talk show The View where she insisted: "I'm a mom, I'm not a mistress," and "I'm not a big believer in infidelity."

Her comments got a very pointed reception on the show. Host Whoopi Goldberg asked Hunter how she could "trash a dead lady," referring to Elizabeth Edwards.

Hunter describes Elizabeth Edwards in her book as "crazy," and a "venomous" "witch on wheels" who is given to fits of "rage."

"I wrote the book to tell the truth," Hunter replied. "What I was told about their marriage along the way, my experience of that – I was truthful about."

Hunter was also asked if she didn't believe in infidelity how she could approach the former senator when they first met with, "You are so hot."

"I didn't feel that was a come-on," Hunter said, adding that the comment "just flew out of my mouth." Hunter said the couple has been worn down by the scrutiny and pressure brought on by their high profile affair that began while Edwards was running for the 2008 presidential nomination.

"For me, for my part in it, it's because I'm no longer interested in hiding, hiding our relationship," she said. "I don't know if you've noticed, but we've had a lot of media scrutiny. It's complicated and it's hard. It wears you down after a while."

Hunter, 48, wouldn't say whether one of them made the break.

"That's private. We decided together to end it. It's hard. It's painful," she said.

She rejected a suggestion that the relationship may have been a mistake.

"I know many things in the relationship were a mistake but I don't regret loving him," she said.

Hunter said that people should read the book before criticizing her.

"There is so much misinformation and distortion about this story and people form opinions without knowing what really happened," she said.

"The public persona of John Edwards and Elizabeth Edwards -- and me, for that matter -- are so wrong. I think that it helps that we all are real humans and we all are not perfect," she said. "I don't think it serves the kids, including my own daughter, to have people that their father is a demon, when he's not, and that Elizabeth was a saint, because she wasn't, and that I'm a homewrecker. It doesn't serve anybody."

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
Mar052012

Sandra Fluke: Rush Limbaugh's Apology Doesn't Change Anything

ABC/Barwall Productions(NEW YORK) -- The Georgetown law student who drew an apology from Rush Limbaugh this weekend after the conservative radio host called her a "slut" on his show said that his public apology wasn't sufficient during an appearance Monday on ABC's The View.

"I don't think that a statement like this issued, saying that his choice of words was not the best, changes anything, and especially when that statement is issued when he's under significant pressure from his sponsors who have begun to pull their support," said Sandra Fluke, 30-year-old student.

Limbaugh called Fluke a "slut" and a "prostitute" on his show last week after hearing her testify to Congress arguing that her university's health insurance should cover contraception for female students.

On Saturday, he wrote an apology after several sponsors pulled their advertising from his program in response to the Fluke comments. 

video platform video management video solutions video player

"My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir," Limbaugh wrote in a released statement. "I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices."

Fluke said she has not heard from Limbaugh personally, but added that she's not hoping to speak with him.

"The statements he's made about me over the air are personal enough, so I'd rather not have a personal phone call with him," Fluke said.

On his program on Friday, two days after he sparked the furor, Limbaugh repeatedly told his listeners that Fluke has "so much sex she can't afford it." President Obama called Fluke to offer his support that day, and Limbaugh mocked the president for placing the call.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Sunday
Feb262012

Missing Black Teen Found Hours After Being Featured on 'The View'

Comstock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Missing New York teen Mishell DiAmonde Green has been found and reunited with her family hours after she was featured on ABC's The View, last week.

An anonymous viewer who recognized 16-year-old Mishell's profile from the segment immediately called the Black and Missing Foundation to report her whereabouts, which led to her recovery at a shelter called Safe Horizon for victims of violence in New York City.

Green disappeared Sept. 8, 2011 while heading to an after-school program called "The Door" in the Soho area of New York City.

While Green has not yet disclosed what happened to her after she went missing, her family said "Mishell is safe and out of harm’s way."

"We thank all who lifted your hearts and voices in prayer, who posted reports, who told about her disappearance, who called us with suggestions, and who were there," Green's family said in a statement."Thank you to The View for providing a platform that gave Mishell's story the media attention needed for her recovery."

The View segment featuring Green aired on Feb 24. It was the second in a series of segments titled “The View on Crime: Missing Black Children.”

According to FBI figures, nearly 40 percent of all missing persons are people of color, but critics say that the most media attention is reserved for white women.

"This reunion proves how vital national media coverage is in finding missing persons," said Derrica Wilson, Co-Founder, President and CEO of Black and Missing Foundation, Inc. who also appeared on The View segment. "As an advocate for missing persons of color, it is our mission to help bridge the gap in the disparity of coverage of our missing persons."

Green's Family and Wilson are scheduled to appear live Monday, Feb. 27 exclusively on The View where they will discuss the recovery of Mishell Green.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Sep272011

Biden, on 'The View,' Disputes White House Sexism Claims

ABC/Donna Svennevik(NEW YORK) -- Vice President Joe Biden on Tuesday disputed the controversial characterizations of the Obama White House made by author Ron Suskind in his new book, Confidence Men, that depicted a bastion of sexism that was insulated from a diversity of opinions.

“I don’t know who they’re talking about,” Biden said on The View of former White House aides who reportedly told Suskind that the administration fostered a hostile work environment for women. “Obviously, they didn’t talk to Michelle Obama or Jill Biden. Because if there’s sexism in the White House, the person engaging in it is in trouble.”

The vice president made the comments during an appearance on ABC's chat show to talk about his nearly two-decade campaign to end violence against women.

“I’m not suggesting there’s not some instance where a staffer thought they were not treated well,” Biden said. “But look at the high-ranking staff on my staff, on the president’s staff -- 70 percent of the high-ranking people on my staff...they’re all women. I literally, when this came out, I asked them, I asked them had they seen it. And nobody is aware.”

Biden also strongly pushed back on Suskind’s suggestion that President Obama only received advice from an isolated, exclusive group.

“When the president and I agreed that I’d be on the ticket...the one thing I asked, and he’s kept it this promise, was that I’d be the last guy in the room -- literally the last in the room on any major decision. I can tell you without fear of contradiction that he has -- he seeks opinions from everyone in his inner circle,” Biden said.

“I have a bad reputation for being very blunt and straight, and I have made clear to the president my views. And on 85 percent of what he’s asked my opinion on, we’ve agreed,” he said.  ”I’ve been here for eight presidents. There are only two I knew who seemed totally prepared to listen to an alternative view. And if you made the better case they say, ‘Ok, I understand that.’ He’s one of those guys.”

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Monday
Sep122011

Dr. Phil: George and Cindy Anthony Divided over Casey’s Innocence

Cindy and George Anthony, parents of Casey Anthony, are the first to leave the courtroom, with their attorney Mark Lippman, after their daughter was found not guilty in her first-degree murder trial, at the Orange County Courthouse, in Orlando, Fla., Tuesday, July 5, 2011. (Hand Out/ABC News)(NEW YORK) -- George and Cindy Anthony are divided over daughter Casey Anthony’s role in two-year-old Caylee’s death and Cindy Anthony is “very much” in denial, Phil McGraw said on The View Monday.

The first part of McGraw’s two-part interview with George and Cindy Anthony will air Tuesday on the Dr. Phil show. It is the first interview for the parents of Casey Anthony since their 25-year-old daughter was acquitted of murdering Caylee.  McGraw told the ladies of The View that Caylee’s grandparents said they still don’t know what happened to the toddler and they have not seen or talked to their daughter since she was acquitted.

He said the two are divided over whether their daughter could have murdered Caylee or dumped the little girl’s body in the woods.

“They have a very different view of that.  He [George Anthony] is very critical.  She [Cindy Anthony] seems to make an excuse at every turn,” McGraw said.

“They question themselves every minute of every day.  What did we fail to see? What could we have done differently? Their position is up until the pregnancy, she was showing reasonably normal behavior and then it began to change,” McGraw said.

In one clip from the interview played on The View, McGraw asks George Anthony about whether he had any role in Caylee’s death.  Defense Attorney Jose Baez argued throughout the trial that George Anthony helped dispose of Caylee’s body after the child accidentally drowned.

Cindy Anthony defended her husband from those claims.

“George would never have put us through those six months of not knowing where Caylee was if he knew where Caylee was because I watched his heart break every single day and I watched him as frantic as he was,” Cindy Anthony told McGraw.

In another clip from the interview, McGraw asks the Anthonys whether they believe Casey Anthony drove her white Pontiac Sunfire with a dead Caylee in the trunk.  The prosecution argued that Casey Anthony’s car trunk smelled like death and that a strand of Caylee’s hair was found in the trunk, as well as high levels of chloroform.

Cindy Anthony told McGraw, “Truthfully, to this day, I don’t know, to be honest.”

George Anthony said, “Do I want to believe that Caylee was back there?  I don’t want to believe it, but I’m going by what investigators have told me.  All I know is that Caylee is not with us anymore.”  

Cindy Anthony famously told a 911 operator that it smelled like there had been “a dead body in the damn car” while reporting her granddaughter’s disappearance in July 2008. Caylee had been missing for 31 days before authorities were alerted. McGraw said that when he pressed the Anthony couple about their behavior during those 31 days that they went without seeing Caylee, they told him that they believed Casey Anthony was keeping Caylee from them out of spite.

“She [Cindy Anthony] got to a point where she believed that Casey was keeping Caylee away from her on purpose, but she said my mind never went to the fact that she could have done something to her,” McGraw said.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio