SEARCH

Entries in YouTube (17)

Monday
May022011

Osama Bin Laden Dead: Web Users Celebrate With Fake Twitter, Facebook Accounts

NICHOLAS KAMM/AFP/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Even before President Obama pronounced Osama bin Laden dead, the Internet was buzzing with the news -- and in the hours that followed, the Web exploded as people celebrated and satirized the demise of public enemy No. 1.

As people around the world tweeted their excitement about bin Laden's death, Twitter said it had its highest sustained rate of tweets ever.

From 10:45 p.m. to 2:20 a.m. ET, Twitter users generated about 3,000 tweets per second, with a peak of 5,106 tweets per second at 11 p.m. ET, Twitter said in a tweet Monday.

On Facebook, the page "Osama Bin Laden Is DEAD" attracted more than 300,000 "likes" as people worldwide shared comments and links to stories and video.

The Facebook page went viral in the aftermath of Obama's announcement but, as Mashable notes, the page appears to have been created before the official announcement of the big news.

"Osama bin Laden has not been found and will never be found because he died a long time ago. This may be news to you because it wasn't in the news," the description of the page says. "His death is critical to the CIA because they want you to believe in this so called 'War on terror' which has made the world a more dangerous place. If Osama bin Laden was alive, he would've been found -- just like Saddam Hussein."

Within hours of the announcement, fake Twitter accounts for bin Laden attracted thousands of followers.

Twitter Account @OsamaInHell: 'Bedrooms Are Called 'Sleeper Cells' Here.' The account @GhostOsama got more than 25,000 followers. Its tweets pretended to be from a man who "was once the best Terrorist of all time!" One of the tweeter's first posts said, "Obama is using my death to assure his reelection." Later, the account posted, "Was just granted my 72 virgins, YES!"

Google Maps was flooded with enthusiasts using the popular mapping tool to find the exact spot bin Laden was killed. According to the Google Earth Blog (which is not officially affiliated with Google), the location is especially difficult to find online because the newest imagery from the area is only from 2005.

Though map users may have had a tough time locating the place of bin Laden's death online, they still had a good time mocking it. More than 30 people have posted fake reviews for "Osama bin Laden's Compound" on Google Maps.

On Yahoo, searches for Osama bin Laden spiked 98,550 percent Sunday. Searches for September 11 jumped 1,009 percent. Among the top questions being searched for on Yahoo! are "How did Osama bin Laden die," "How old was Osama bin Laden," "Is it Usama or Osama?" and "Is Osama Really dead?"

"Osama bin laden dead" was among the top rising terms on YouTube Sunday night, Google said in its YouTube Trends blog.

But Google said video watchers were also hungry for songs, including Toby Keith's "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue," "God Bless America," and Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the U.S.A." Another top trending video on Twitter was President George W. Bush's 2001 bullhorn speech from Ground Zero. Between 7:30 and 8:30 p.m. PT Sunday, there was a one million percent increase in Google searches for "bin laden," compared to earlier in the weekend, a company spokeswoman said.

Keynote Systems, a leading mobile and Internet performance monitoring company, said that soon after the announcement of bin Laden's death, top news sites (as well as their mobile sites) began to buckle under the strain of the unexpected traffic load. The company said that in the first 15 minutes after the news broke, it was as if a "flash mob" descended on mobile news sites. Unprepared for the onslaught of traffic, news sites slowed down and returned error messages, but they recovered quickly, Keynote said.

Akamai Technologies, Inc., a leading Web services company that monitors Internet traffic, said news of bin Laden's death led to a spike in Web traffic 24 percent above normal. On Sunday night around 11:40 p.m. ET, traffic peaked at about 4.1 million page views per minute, the company said.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Saturday
Mar262011

'Jessi Slaughter' Dad Charged With Child Abuse

Comstock/Thinkstock(MARION COUNTY, Fla.) -- The father of a Florida seventh grader whose profanity-laced video prompted online death threats last year has been arrested for allegedly assaulting his daughter.

Gene Leonhardt, 53, was charged by police in Marion County, Florida, with child abuse in the incident, which occurred last month.

According to the police report, first reported on the website Smoking Gun, the girl said she had been arguing with her father when he "punched her, causing her to have a bloody and swollen lips."

Leonhardt pleaded not guilty to the child abuse charge and was freed on $5,000 bond.

The girl, who goes by the screen name "Jessi Slaughter," saw her YouTube video rocket across the Internet last summer. In it, her rage boiled with violent threats and graphic language that she used against online tormentors she said were bullying her.

Her father also appeared on the video, angrily vowing to call the "cyber police" to get relief for his daughter.

She ended the video by giving the middle finger and blowing a kiss at the camera.

Jessi created an Internet firestorm when she posted the nearly five-minute video raging against online bullies who had called her names and accused a friend of raping her.

Once her story hit the message boards of 4chan, an infamous and anonymous network of Web savvy users, the threats against Jessi started coming fast and furious. Members of Anonymous, a group linked to 4chan, quickly joined in, as did users of the like-minded site Tumblr.

They posted her full name, address and home phone numbers and death threats began rolling in.

At the time, a Marion County Sheriff's Office spokesman said that detectives there were investigating the situation to look for evidence of cyberbulling and cyber-stalking.

Authorities got involved after a series of phone calls and emails were made, warning detectives that a young girl was possibly being exploited online.

Her video, as well as a follow-up video in which her father rages against her bullies, has been seen by millions. In the second video, as Jessi sobs in front of the camera, Gene Leonhardt warns viewers to leave his daughter alone.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Feb172011

Supporters of Convicted Killer Trying to Counter TV Movie

Photo Courtesy - Oli Scarff/Getty Images(SEATTLE) -- Friends and supporters of Amanda Knox are trying to counter an upcoming TV-movie about the convicted killer that is set to air on Monday.

Knox and former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito are currently serving time in an Italian prison for murdering and sexually assaulting Knox's roommate, Meredith Kercher, in 2007. Knox was sentenced to 26 years in prison, while Sollectico got 25 years. Both deny wrongdoing and are appealing their convictions.

Scenes from the movie trailer have upset both the Knox and Kercher families with graphic scenes portraying Kercher's sex assault and murder. Knox's lawyers filed a complaint Feb. 3, against Lifetime TV, YouTube and Google asking them to stop distribution of the video and to remove trailers from the Internet.

Knox's supporters have turned to posting a short YouTube video of their own, featuring a close-up of Knox while audio of her voice -- cracking and verging on tears -- is heard trying to explain to the court why she gave confusing statements to police in Perugia, Italy, during her nearly 50 hours of interrogation.

The video, created by "Friends of Amanda" and "Injustice in Perugia," ends with a full screen reading, "ENOUGH" and "Let them go."

YouTube has removed the trailers and Lifetime re-edited them, but so far has not agreed to pull the movie.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jan112011

Ted Williams: ‘My Daughter Hit Me’

Photo Courtesy - ABC News(LOS ANGELES) – Only a week after his overnight rise to fame, Ted Williams was picked up by the Los Angeles Police Department Monday night after a disturbance inside a Hollywood hotel.

Williams, the man with the “golden voice” who became an instant Internet sensation, told The Insider that his daughter, Jemay Williams, hit him with an ice bucket inside a room at the Renaissance hotel.

LAPD Spokesman Richard French said the investigation in ongoing and did not say that Williams had actually been arrested.

Williams, who was homeless before YouTube viewers caught on to his amazing voice, had previously battled drug and alcohol problems.
 
Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Dec282010

Students Horrified by Facebook Page to ‘Honor’ Classmate's Death

Photo Courtesy -- Getty Images(FORT SMITH, Ark.) – A Facebook page meant to honor an Arkansas teen after he died in a car accident was suddenly diluted with inappropriate and offensive material by the creator of the page, according to local ABC News affiliate KHBS-TV.

After Southside High School student Travis McAfee died in a car accident on Christmas Eve, more than 700 people liked a Facebook page entitled “In Loving Memory of Travis McAfee.” Soon after, however, the page administrator posted offensive images – some pornographic – and sexual slurs meant to make light of MacAfee’s death.

The creator also linked a YouTube video to the page. In the video, a man wearing sunglasses and a hat claimed to be the page administrator and expressed his feelings regarding McAfee’s death. "When I first heard that Travis passed away, I just couldn't stop help but laughing,” said the man. “I mean my lungs, still to this point, hurt from all the laughing I was doing."

Students have contacted local police regarding the incident.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio

Monday
Dec272010

Whistleblower Pilot Wants to 'Come Out of the Shadows'

Photo Courtesy - ABC News(SACRAMENTO, Calif.) -- The airline pilot who spoke out anonymously after he was reprimanded by the TSA for posting videos showing security flaws at a major airport said Sunday he may reveal his identity this week.

The 50-year-old California man told ABC affiliate KXTV in Sacramento that he hopes he will be able to "safely come out of the shadows."

The pilot's attorney told KXTV that the man still feared retaliation from the Transportation Safety Administration, but he wanted to keep his job as a pilot.

In an interview with ABC's World News last week, the pilot, who asked that his name and the airline he works for not be made public, said it was the "fallacy of the system" that inspired him to post the videos on YouTube.

Late last month, he took a series of videos with his cell phone to show major flaws he says still exist in airport security systems. The videos show how easily ground crews at San Francisco International Airport were able to access secure areas. "As you can see, airport security is kind of a farce. It's only smoke and mirrors so you people believe there is actually something going on here," the pilot says on one video.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio

Friday
Oct222010

Google Ordered to Name Anonymous Online Bullies

Photo Courtesy - Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Internet bullies, listen up. If a New York court ruling is any indication, your cloak of anonymity may be more transparent than you think.

In August, Carla Franklin, a 34-year-old New York business consultant and Columbia Business School graduate, filed legal documents asking Google to identify people who posted unauthorized videos of her on YouTube and called her a "whore."

This week a Manhattan judge ordered Google, which owns YouTube, to turn over identity and contact information for the person or persons who posted the videos and insults online.

A Google spokesman declined to comment, saying that the company does not discuss individual cases. But Franklin said that the court ruling gives Google a couple of weeks to give her the IP (Internet protocol) addresses, e-mail addresses and other information of the users responsible for the harassment. Once she has that information, Franklin said she plans to work with an investigator to track down the person she thinks is behind the online bullying.

Assuming Franklin is able to identify them, she said she hasn't fully decided on her course of action, but knows that she'll file a restraining order.

Cyber harassment has "gotten out of control," she said, adding that she hopes her case makes it easier for others to hold Internet bullies responsible for their harm.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio

Page 1 2






ABC News Radio