Facebook

Twitter

iTunes

RSS

 

RSSTwitter

Local Updates from ABC News Radio for New York.

Tuesday
Sep022014

Woman Driving Child Charged with DWI

(SUFFOLK COUNTY, N.Y.) -- A woman was arrested after driving while intoxicated with her 3-year-old child in the car on Monday night.

Suffolk County Police say Joanna Pagan, 32, was near exit 49 North on the Long Island Expressway when she was pulled over for failing to stay in lane.

Pagan was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated with a child passenger 15 years old or younger, aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle and endangering the welfare of a child.

No injuries were reported and the child is in the custody of a family member.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Sep022014

De Blasio: Sandy Recovery Exceeds Labor Day Goals

(NEW YORK) -- New York City has approved the start of construction for 535 homes and sent 543 reimbursement checks through the Build it Back Program, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Tuesday. The progress exceeds the mayor's goals of the Hurricane Sandy recovery overhaul he began earlier this year.

The Office of the Mayor reports out of the 535 construction starts, 68 homes are fully complete and over $9 million in reimbursements has gone out to homeowners who completed repairs themselves.

When Mayor de Blasio took office in January, no design or construction had began nor reimbursement given to the homeowners hit hardest by the 2012 hurricane, according to the Mayor's Office. This past spring, Mayor de Blasio overhauled the recovery with the Build it Back program and aimed for 500 construction starts and 500 reimbursement checks by Labor Day.

“It was simply unacceptable that not a single homeowner had gotten relief as of the beginning of this year,” the mayor said in a statement. "We know there’s much more work ahead—and we’re committed to continuing to speed up recovery so that every homeowner gets the relief they need.”

The Mayor's office reports approximately 3,000 homeowners have signed Option Selection Agreements and over 1,200 homeowners have started design since January.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Sep022014

AG Labor Day Report Highlights $17 Million in Worker Restitution 

(NEW YORK) -- New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman released a Labor Day report Monday, highlighting more than $17 million in restitution for nearly 14,000 workers.

The data, titled "Standing Up For Working New Yorkers," showcases the office's work over the past three years and features statistics including a $2 million recovery in state penalties.

"Vigorously enforcing our labor laws to protect workers’ rights is an essential component of our commitment to enforcing one set of rules for everyone," Schneiderman said. "Depriving workers of their wages or other lawful benefits hurts families and communities, and creates an unfair advantage for employers that disregard the laws. This report demonstrates my office’s aggressive enforcement to protect workers’ rights; it shows that my office will use every tool at its disposal to do so."

The report also emphasizes action taken for fast-food workers and car wash employees, with $958,000 secured for more than 2,000 workers in the restaurant industry and an additional $2,425,000 for 1,018 car wash workers.

For more on the review, visit the Attorney General's website.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Monday
Sep012014

Big Bust: $2 Billion Atlantic City Hotel to Close Tuesday

(NEW YORK) --  Atlantic City's landmark Revel Hotel is closing its doors this week, after failing to bring a much-needed boom to the region.

The $2 billion hotel and casino opened in 2012 with 3,800 hotel rooms, many overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, along with 10 freshwater and saltwater pools, restaurants, nightly entertainment and a spa.

However, it was plagued with financial troubles from the beginning, and declared bankruptcy twice before announcing it would close this Tuesday at 5 a.m.

Owners said they were unable to find a buyer for the hotel.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Monday
Sep012014

Joan Rivers Remains Unconscious; Family Hopeful

(NEW YORK) -- Joan Rivers has been unconscious since she was hospitalized last week, however, her daughter is hopeful that the 81-year-old comedian will recover from her illness.

"Thank you for your continued love and support," Melissa Rivers said in a statement today. "We are keeping our fingers crossed."

Her mother arrived at Mount Sinai Hospital last Thursday after an emergency call that she was in cardiac arrest at an Upper East Side clinic, Yorkville Endoscopy, sources said.

Doctors are intentionally keeping her sedated and under close supervision until they're more comfortable with her condition, which remains "serious."


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio