(WASHINGTON) -- The House Armed Services Committee released nine declassified transcripts of interviews conducted in connection with the Sept. 11, 2012 attack on the American mission in Benghazi, Libya. Four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens, were murdered in the assault.
The previously classified interviews were part of the committee's investigation into the actions of the U.S. Department of Defense before, during and after the attack. Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Maryland, said on Wednesday claimed the handful of released transcripts, "definitively show that Republican attacks against our nation's military servicemembers and former Secretary of State Clinton are completely unfounded and utterly offensive."
Critics have claimed the Obama administration legally muzzled the survivors of the terror attack, which the president and key aides -- as well as Mrs. Clinton -- initially blamed on a YouTube video to insulate the president from criticism during the 2012 election.
The interviews were conducted between January and April of this year, the committee said. The Department of Defense declassified the released transcripts at the committee's request.
"It's my hope that the Select Committee on Benghazi will choose not to tread this same ground, but will focus on more productive areas, such as whether the State Department is implementing the sound recommendations of the Accountability Review Board," Rep. Adam Schiff, D-California, said.
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio