SEARCH
« Illinois Supreme Court Sides with Rahm, Reverses Appellate Ruling | Main | Jay Carney Picked as New White House Press Secretary »
Thursday
Jan272011

GOP Congressman Mike Pence Rules Out 2012 Presidential Bid

Photo Courtesy - ABC News (WASHINGTON) -- Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind., announced in a letter to supporters on Thursday that he will not run for president in 2012, saying that his "calling is closer to home."

Pence had set a deadline of the end of the month to make a decision about his political future. His letter on Thursday suggests that he is leaning strongly toward running for governor of Indiana instead.

“In the choice between seeking national office and serving Indiana in some capacity, we choose Indiana,” Pence, said in the letter on behalf of himself and his wife, Karen. “We will not seek the Republican nomination for president in 2012.”

In the letter he said he would “be traveling across the state to listen and learn about how Hoosiers think we might best contribute in the years ahead.” He added that he would "make a decision later this year about what role we will seek to play."

Several high-profile conservative leaders had been encouraging Pence to seek the GOP presidential nomination, arguing that he would be a candidate who could unite disparate elements of the Republican Party.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Post:
 
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>






ABC News Radio