(WASHINGTON) -- The Department of Homeland Security issued a statement on Friday in regards to the decision made by the government of the United Kingdom to raise that country's domestic terror threat level to "severe."
Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said in the statement that the U.S. government has not received any "specific, credible threat to the U.S. homeland." Still, Johnson noted, militants from the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria have shown the intent and capability to capture American citizens overseas, making them an "active and serious threat."
Johnson points out the action that the DHS has taken in recent weeks, including enhanced security at overseas airports and increased tracking of foreign fighters traveling to and from Syria. "Additional security measures" are also under consideration, he said.
Johnson expressed deep concern about the ongoing situation in both Iraq and Syria, saying that the DHS will "continue to evaluate and adopt serious and prudent homeland security measures as the situation warrants."
Earlier on Friday, the FBI noted that the United Kingdom's decision was not based on a specific threat. White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest echoed that sentiment, saying that he didn't "anticipate at this point that there is a plan to change" the U.S. terror threat level.
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio