SEARCH

Entries in Indy 500 (1)

Thursday
May052011

Donald Trump Cancels Indy 500 Appearance

Matthew Cavanaugh/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- With Donald Trump’s announcement on Thursday that he is canceling plans to be the pace car driver at the Indianapolis 500 later this month, he offered his clearest indication yet of his timeline for his presidential announcement.

According to a statement from representatives for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Trump informed officials there “that he may be announcing shortly his intention to run for the office of President of the United States, and therefore he thought it would be inappropriate to drive the Pace Car for the 100th anniversary running of the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday, May 29.”

Trump has previously said he would use the season finale of The Celebrity Apprentice on May 22 to reveal the time and place of an announcement that he will -- or will not -- jump into the Republican nominating contest.

As Trump adviser and special counsel, Michael Cohen, told ABC News, “due to FEC rules and regulations, Mr. Trump cannot make his decision until his hit television show aired its finale.” Trump has also vowed to make his decision public prior to June.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio