SEARCH

Entries in Jack Conway (2)

Thursday
Oct282010

Anti-Rand Paul Robocall Targets Kentucky Seniors

Photo Courtesy - Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- Republicans are inflamed at a robocall being made to veterans near Ft. Knox and Ft. Campbell, telling them that GOP Senate candidate Rand Paul wants to close bases and bring troops back from Afghanistan.

Kay Stanton, a veteran, said she received the call on Oct. 26, exactly a week before the general election. The message didn’t say who it was from, but it identified veterans as the target group. The message stated that Paul “was wanting to bring troops from Afghanistan and they were there because of 9/11. They also mentioned that he wanted Ft. Campbell to be closed,” said Stanton, who is a registered Republican and voted in the primary.

Catherine Kerney, whose husband was a veteran, said she received the same call.

ABC News has not heard the audio of the call. The message urged seniors to call a number bearing a North Dakota area code. The number is registered to “Voter Contact” but it doesn’t go through.

Democratic candidate Jack Conway’s campaign denied the call came from them and so far no organization has taken credit for it.

In an e-mail to supporters, the National Republican Senatorial Committee blasted the robocall as a “dirty trick” and “dishonorable tactic.”

“These tactics are unethical and underhanded -- just what we should expect from a desperate career politician,” the NRSC said in an e-mail to supporters.  

Paul and Conway have sparred on the U.S. handling of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, although both agree that former President George W. Bush was correct in invading the country after the Sept. 11 attacks.

The Libertarian-leaning conservative candidate, however, has stayed mostly silent on the future of troops in Afghanistan, leading some to question whether he wants to pull troops out of the country.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Oct282010

Senate Hopeful Jack Conway Condemns Rand Paul 'Thug'

Photo Courtesy - Conway for Senate(LOUISVILLE, Ky.) -- Jack Conway, the Democratic Senate candidate in Kentucky, condemned the men caught stomping on the head of a liberal activist at a Democratic rally in Louisville.

The encounter, between supporters of Conway’s opponent, Republican Rand Paul, and the MoveOn activist, who was dressed as a Paul supporter, was captured on video outside a debate this week in Lexington and went viral on the Internet.

On Wednesday night, Conway criticized the apology offered by Paul’s camp.

“Rand Paul and his campaign have given a half-hearted sort-of apology," Conway said.  "That’s what they’ve done.  And that thug, his Bourbon County chairman, who stomped on this woman’s head, you know what he said this morning?  He said he stomped because he had a bad back and couldn’t reach down.  That’s what he said!”

Conway also tried to push the incident as a women’s issue.

“If you’re a woman in the commonwealth, you have a clear choice," Conway said.  "Let me step back here for a second.  I saw the video of what happened outside of our debate Monday night, and I was horrified.”

“Never -– I don’t care if you’re in politics, I don’t care what you’re in -- but never is it appropriate for a man to drag a woman to the ground and use physical violence against her, ever,” he said.

Later, Conway told reporters that Paul needs to give back a reported $1,950 donation from Tim Proffit, the man who admitted to stomping on the woman’s head.  The Louisville Courier-Journal is reporting that Paul is reneging on a promise to return the money.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio