SEARCH

Entries in Newsmax (2)

Tuesday
Dec132011

Trump Backs Out of Debate, Floating Independent Bid

Mike Stobe/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Donald Trump has backed out of moderating a Republican debate because, he says, he’s still considering running for president as an independent candidate.

In a statement on Tuesday, Trump said that GOP candidates are “very concerned” that he will announce an independent candidacy after The Apprentice ends, and that they won’t agree to a debate with him unless he rules that out -- which he won’t do.

“It is very important to me that the right Republican candidate be chosen to defeat the failed and very destructive Obama Administration, but if that Republican, in my opinion, is not the right candidate, I am not willing to give up my right to run as an Independent candidate,” Trump said in his statement. “Therefore, so that there is no conflict of interest within the Republican Party, I have decided not to be the moderator of the Newsmax debate.”

Here’s Trump’s full statement:

"The Republican Party candidates are very concerned that sometime after the final episode of The Apprentice, on May 20th, when the equal time provisions are no longer applicable to me, I will announce my candidacy for President of the United States as an Independent and that, unless I conclusively agree not to run as an Independent, they will not agree to attend or be a part of the Newsmax debate scheduled for December 27, 2011. It is very important to me that the right Republican candidate be chosen to defeat the failed and very destructive Obama Administration, but if that Republican, in my opinion, is not the right candidate, I am not willing to give up my right to run as an Independent candidate. Therefore, so that there is no conflict of interest within the Republican Party, I have decided not to be the moderator of the Newsmax debate. The American people are embarrassed by the gridlock currently taking place in Washington. I must leave all of my options open because, above all else, we must make America great again!

I would like to thank Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum for having the courage, conviction, and confidence to immediately accept being a part of the Newsmax debate. I believe this would not only have been the most watched debate, but also the most substantive and interesting debate!"

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Dec062011

Bachmann Says Questions of Bias Delay Trump Debate Decision

Justin Sullivan/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Michele Bachmann on Tuesday said fears that Donald Trump might be too biased in favor of one GOP candidate have delayed her decision to participate in an upcoming presidential debate moderated by the real-estate tycoon and reality-TV star.

“We’re still in the process of looking at it,” Rep. Bachmann said on CBS’s Early Show, reflecting comments the campaign has made previously to ABC News.

The Minnesota congresswoman said “one concern” about participating was an announcement Trump made that he is close to endorsing a candidate. Trump has also hinted that he might yet run as a third-party candidate against the Republican nominee.

“One concern is he’s already leaning towards a candidate,” she said. “So there’s questions about objectivity.”

Some outlets have erroneously reported that Bachmann already said she would participate; she has not.

Bachmann, who has met with Trump several times, said Tuesday, “I have great respect for him.”

The debate sponsored by the conservative magazine Newsmax is slated for Dec. 27, a week before the Iowa caucuses.

Many GOP mandarins, including former George W. Bush advisers Karl Rove and Ari Fleischer, have been critical of Trump’s involvement and called on the candidates not to participate.

Already, Rep. Ron Paul and former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman have said they will not participate. Only former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum have signed on.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio