SEARCH

Entries in Resign (9)

Thursday
Jun212012

Sen. Rubio Calls for AG Holder to Resign

Joe Raedle/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., became the second senator to call for Attorney General Eric Holder to resign over the Fast & Furious gun-walking scandal.

“Yes, I do at this point, I do,” Rubio answered when asked at The Christian Science Monitor breakfast in Washington, D.C., Thursday morning if the attorney general should go. “I think we’ve now reached a point of no return on this issue.”

Rubio said yesterday’s decision by the administration to invoke executive privilege was “the last straw,” for him.

“I don’t know how the attorney general can continue to exercise that office with any level of credibility after the decision that was made yesterday,” he said.

“I think he’s, they’ve, been given multiple opportunities to answer very legitimate questions that the Congress has. We know for a fact that something they told the Congress was not true. And now, I think it’s very legitimate for the Congress to inquire as to why we were told something that wasn’t true," Rubio said. "And they refuse to provide materials to prove that.”

Earlier this month, Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, became the first senator to call for Attorney General Eric Holder to resign. Holder had been testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee where Cornyn expressed his views that the attorney general has not been honest and has been overly political.

In the House of Representatives, more than 50 Republicans that have called for Holder’s resignation.  Yesterday the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform voted to find Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt of Congress for failing to provide documents to congressional investigators from the Fast and Furious scandal.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Aug042011

Congressman David Wu Resigns

Alex Wong/Getty ImagesWASHINGTON – Congressman David Wu has released a statement confirming his decision to resign, effective August 3 at 11:59 p.m.

The statement was released after notifying Oregon Governor John Kitzhaber and House Speaker John Boehner of his decision.

He says that “serving as a U.S. Congressman has been the greatest honor of my life,”  but goes on to say that “however great the honor and engaging the work, there comes a time to hand on the privilege of elected office—and that time has come.”

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jun282011

Two Herman Cain Staffers Resign from Campaign

EMMANUEL DUNAND/AFP/Getty Images(MANCHESTER, N.H.) -- Herman Cain’s New Hampshire campaign director -- and only staffer in the state -- Matt Murphy, has resigned, Cain’s Communications Director Ellen Carmichael has confirmed to ABC News.

According to the Union Leader, Jim Zeiler, a campaign regional director, has also resigned.

Murphy told the Union Leader he resigned last Friday due to strategic differences, noting there was no “ill will” toward the Republican presidential candidate.  

“There was a strategic difference and I left the campaign because of those differences.  The differences involved the New Hampshire strategy and how much investment the campaign should put into New Hampshire,” he told the Union Leader.

Carmichael gave this statement to ABC News regarding Murphy’s departure: “Matt's time at Friends of Herman Cain ended amicably and we are in touch still with him.  We are announcing a new hire in the coming days and we are excited about continuing to expand our operations in New Hampshire and across the U.S.”

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jun162011

Anthony Weiner Telling Friends He Plans to Resign

Andrew Burton/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Embattled New York Democrat Congressman Anthony Weiner is telling friends he will resign his seat in Congress, ABC News has learned, bowing to growing demands that he step down because of his sexting scandal.

A source said Weiner called House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and Rep. Steve Israel, chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, Wednesday night while they were at a White House picnic to inform them he would resign Thursday.

The married congressman's career began unraveling last month when a now infamous photo of a man's crotch ended up on his public Twitter feed. After days of awkward denials and claims he had been hacked, Weiner admitted not only to sending that picture, but also to exchanging explicit messages and photos with several women online.

"I take full responsibility for my actions," Weiner said at a press conference on June 6. "The picture was of me, and I sent it."

Just two days after the press conference, ABC News learned that Weiner and wife Huma Abedin -- a top aide to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton -- are expecting the couple’s first child.

"I love my wife very much, and we have no intention of splitting up over this," Weiner said at the press conference, days before news surfaced of his wife’s pregnancy.

On Monday, the U.S. House approved Weiner's request for a temporary leave of absence. A day earlier, the Congressman said he was "seeking treatment" for an undisclosed condition at an unknown location outside New York.

His resignation comes amid mounting pressure from leaders of both political parties.

President Obama echoed the sentiments of a number of top Democrats this week when he told NBC’s Today, "If it was me, I would resign."

House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, joined his counterpart, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., this week in calling for Weiner’s resignation.

Earlier this month, the Congressman admitted to accidentally sending a lewd photo to a woman, Seattle college student Gennette Cordova, who was following him on Twitter.

At his June 6 press conference, Weiner said he had "inappropriate" electronic relationships with six women over three years. One of those women, 26-year-old Meagan Broussard of Texas, provided ABC News with dozens of photos, emails, Facebook messages, and cell phone call logs that she said chronicled a sexually-charged electronic relationship with Weiner that rapidly evolved for more than a month. Weiner confirmed that Broussard was one of the women with whom he sexted.

Since the controversial photo popped up last month, other pictures were exposed, including one of the Congressman posing in a mirror at the members-only House gym, and another purported to be a nude photograph of Weiner's genitalia.

Police in New Castle, Del., investigated Weiner's online communication with a 17-year-old Delaware girl, but the lawyer for the girl's family said there was nothing salacious or inappropriate in the tweets. The girl, whose identity has been confirmed by ABC News but is being withheld due to her age, has commented publicly on Twitter that she had been in direct contact with the congressman. Through a spokesperson, Weiner admitted that he exchanged messages with the girl but added "his communications with this person were neither explicit nor indecent."

Once considered a rising star in the Democratic Party and one of the House Democrats' most popular members, many considered Weiner a leading candidate for mayor of New York City.

A poll earlier this month by local news network New York 1 and Marist College found 56 percent of registered voters in New York's 9th congressional district believed Weiner should stay in office. Thirty-three percent said at the time that Weiner should immediately resign, while 12 percent were undecided.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Monday
May022011

Apologetic John Ensign Bids Farewell to the Senate

Scott J. Ferrell/Congressional Quarterly/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- An apologetic Sen. John Ensign, R-Nev., Monday bid farewell to the Senate one day before his resignation takes effect on Tuesday.

During the two week congressional recess that ended Monday, Ensign announced that he would leave office early due to the “continued personal cost” of the fallout from an extramarital affair he had with the wife of his former top aide. The affair became the source of a criminal and ethics investigation. While Ensign announced earlier this year that he would not seek re-election in 2012 and the Justice Department dropped its probe into payments he made to his former staffer, the Senate Ethics Committee continued to plow ahead with its investigation. Ultimately, Ensign opted to step aside early.

“We’ve accomplished a lot,” Ensign said Monday on the Senate floor, touting -- among other things -- his record as an advocate for education reform.

When he came to Capitol Hill, Ensign said, “I simply wanted to make a difference in this great country. Throughout the years, I may have lost my naivete, but I never lost my idealism.”

“Unfortunately I was blind to how arrogant and self-centered I had become. I did not recognize that I thought mostly of myself,” he said. “This is how dangerous the feeling of power and adulation can be.”

Unlike in his resignation statement issued late last month, Ensign on Monday apologized to his Senate colleagues and to his family. In addition, he described how his personal experience had taught him to forgive others. He recounted how he had once called on former Sens. Ted Stevens and Larry Craig to resign, but later apologized to them and asked for their forgiveness.

“I hope that I can now show mercy to people who come into my life who truly need it,” Ensign vowed.

Last week Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval appointed Rep. Dean Heller to fill Ensign’s seat.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio 

Friday
Apr222011

Ethics Committee Calls Ensign Resignation 'Appropriate;' Investigation Continues

Scott J. Ferrell/Congressional Quarterly/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- The bipartisan Senate Ethics Committee released a statement Thursday on the impending resignation of Sen. John Ensign, R-Nev., early next month.

The statement, issued from committee co-chairs Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., and Johnny Isakson, R-Ga., says that Ensign “made the appropriate decision” in resigning. But it also suggests that the Committee, which has been investigating him for 22 months, would continue and complete its work. The conventional wisdom is that once a member resigns, investigations stop. Apparently not in this case.
 
The full statement reads, “The Senate Ethics Committee has worked diligently for 22 months on this matter and will complete its work in a timely fashion. Senator Ensign has made the appropriate decision.”

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Apr212011

Nevada Sen. John Ensign to Resign Amid Ethics Investigation

Scott J. Ferrell/Congressional Quarterly/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- Sen. John Ensign, R-Nev., will announce Friday that he plans to resign from the Senate in May, according to a statement released by his Senate office.

Ensign announced earlier this year he would not seek re-election for a third term in 2012. His extramarital affair with the wife of his former top aide was the source of both criminal and ethics investigation. Last December, the Department of Justice dropped its investigation related to payments he made to his former staffer. He is, however, still a subject of a Senate Ethics Committee investigation. Ensign's statement Thursday night makes clear that investigation was ongoing and that the committee recently hired an outside counsel. There is a lot of speculation that the timing of his immediate retirement, first reported by Nevada reporter John Ralston, is related to this investigation.

“While I stand behind my firm belief that I have not violated any law, rule, or standard of conduct of the Senate, and I have fought to prove this publicly, I will not continue to subject my family, my constituents, or the Senate to any further rounds of investigation, depositions, drawn out proceedings, or especially public hearings.  For my family and me, this continued personal cost is simply too great," said Ensign in the paper statement.

There is also speculation that Republican Gov. Brian Sandoval will appoint Rep. Dean Heller, R-Nev., for the remainder of Ensign’s term. Heller would have to stand for election in November of 2012. There would also have to be a special election to replace Heller.

There are already at least two Democrats actively running for the Senate seat.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Monday
Apr182011

Key Conservative Obama Supporter Douglas Kmiec Resigns 

Alex Wong/Getty Images for Meet the Press(WASHINGTON) -- The U.S. ambassador to Malta, Douglas Kmiec, a key conservative supporter of President Obama, resigned his post last week following a State Department Office of Inspector General’s report accusing him of spending too much time writing and speaking about his own Roman Catholic beliefs rather than on embassy business.

“My actions have been confined to the ministerial. You deserve better, but until these rigid, and rigidly narrow, perspectives are overcome, you and the President are being deprived of the intelligent insight of much of your Embassy’s work,” he wrote in a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton over the weekend.

Ambassador Kmiec, a well-known conservative commentator, originally supported Republican Mitt Romney’s bid for president in 2008 but became a key Catholic supporter of Barack Obama after Romney dropped out. He was nominated as ambassador to Malta in July 2009.

The State Department IG report earlier this month determined Kmiec’s “outside activities have detracted from his attention to core mission goals” at the embassy.

In his resignation letters to President Obama and Secretary Clinton, obtained by the National Catholic Reporter, Kmiec was unrepentant.

“An unfortunate OIG report published last week claims that high standard unmet on the unsupported speculation that someone doing as much writing as I have done could not have also been devoted to the embassy mission. The contrary proof, Madame Secretary, is in the strength of our embassy. Our work is careful, thorough, and timely, and I am fully apprised of all of it, and of course, fully supported by men and women of great dedication and ability,” he wrote to Secretary Clinton.

Ambassador Kmiec suggested in his resignation letter that the Inspector General’s criticism of his work was payback for a 1989 position he took while working the Office of Legal Counsel, in which he argued the IG’s work must be limited to investigating waste, fraud, and abuse.

Kmiec’s resignation is effective August 15 or, as he put it in his resignation letter “on the feast of the Assumption, 2011.”

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Monday
Jan102011

Under Pressure, Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction Resigns

Photo Courtesy - SIGAR dot mil(WASHINGTON) -- Under pressure, the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction, Maj. Gen. Arnold Fields (Ret.), came to the White House Monday and resigned.

Fields delivered the message to Special Assistant to the President for Afghanistan and Pakistan Doug Lute.

“He told us that since the administration is transitioning to a new phase in Afghanistan, he thought it was a good time to step down,” a White House source said, insisting Fields was not forced out.

Last fall, a bipartisan group of senators -- calling the Special Inspector General’s office a “failing organization” -- pushed for President Obama to fire Fields and replace him “with an individual who will oversee the significant organizational change needed within the SIGAR to provide adequate oversight of the billions of dollars of spending on reconstruction in Afghanistan.”

The office is responsible for monitoring the $56 billion sent to Afghanistan since 2002 for humanitarian and non-military development programs.

“It has been clear for several months that SIGAR’s mission is not being served effectively,” wrote Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., Susan Collins, R-Maine, Tom Coburn, R-Okla., and Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa.  “It is for this reason that we have concluded that SIGAR would be better served with new leadership.”

The senators said they were “disappointed” by the Obama administration’s “ongoing failure to take decisive action to make changes at SIGAR.”

Fields was appointed by President Bush in June 2008. The White House on Monday credited Fields’ team with helping to “lead the effort to provide comprehensive and independent oversight of fiscal initiatives in Afghanistan....As he moves on to new challenges, he can do so confident in the knowledge that the president and the American people owe him a debt of gratitude for his courage, leadership and selfless service to our nation.”

At a hearing in November, the three-star general said he built the organization up from nothing to 123 people.

“My leadership has been referred to as inept,” Fields said at the time. “That’s the first time.”

Said McCaskillon  Monday evening, “Mr. Fields simply was not the right person for this very difficult job.  I hope that his departure will allow the agency to turn over a new leaf and finally begin to do the important contracting oversight work we so desperately need.”

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio