(SAN FRANCISCO) -- A gas leak near the Moscone Center on Sunday slowed traffic and forced hundreds of people to evacuate their homes and businesses.
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the leak was reported just after 12 p.m., near the intersection of Fourth Street and Folsom Street. Officials say that the leak was caused when construction workers accidentally cut a Pacific Gas and Electric Company gas line. Workers arrived on scene Sunday to dig below the street to shut off the line, completing that task shortly before 3 p.m.
Between 300 and 400 people were evacuated from the area, so that crews could shut off the leak and avoid a fire or explosion.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio