SEARCH

Entries in Avoids Salary Arbitration (6)

Thursday
Jul242014

Avalanche Sign O'Reilly to 2-Year Contract

Dave Sandford/Getty Images(DENVER) -- The Colorado Avalanche signed center Ryan O'Reilly to a two-year contract Wednesday that keeps the 23-year-old in Colorado through the 2015-16 season and avoids arbitration.

O'Reilly won the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy, which is given to the player that best exemplifies gentlemanly conduct, and also led the team with 28 goals last last season.

"We are pleased to have Ryan under contract," Avalanche executive vice president of hockey operations Joe Sakic said. "We are looking at the upcoming training camp and season with a lot of excitement."

ESPN.com's Scott Burnside reports the contract contains a cap hit of $5.8 million in the first year and $6.2 million in the second year.

O'Reilly was selected by the Avalanche with the 33rd overall pick in the 2009 NHL Draft. During his five seasons in Colorado, O'Reilly has played in 345 games, recording 73 goals and 191 points.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Monday
Feb172014

Reddick Agrees to One-Year Deal with A's

Robert Binder/MLB Photos via Getty Images(PHOENIX) -- Outfielder Josh Reddick agreed to a one-year, $2.7 million contract with the Oakland Athletics Sunday, avoiding salary arbitration.

"It's a huge weight off my shoulders," Reddick said. "We battled with negotiations but I had all the confidence in the world that we weren't going to make this a nasty court affair. They made it clear that they weren't going to do that. From the get-go it was very comforting for me. Happy to have that out of the way now and get back to playing ball."
                                                                                                               
The soon to be 27-year-old Reddick hit .226 with 12 home runs and 56 RBIs last season, while dealing with a injured right wrist that sent him to the disabled list twice. He had offseason surgery on the wrist and seems to be feeling much better.
                                                                                                                       
Reddick was acquired by the Athletics in 2012 in a trade with the Boston Red Sox. During his two seasons in Oakland, Reddick has played in 270 games compiling a .236 average, 44 home runs, 141 RBIs and 139 runs scored.
                                                                                                                                                
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio
Saturday
Feb082014

Cubs Agree to One-Year Deal with Jeff Samardzija

Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images(CHICAGO) -- The Chicago Cubs agreed to a one-year, $5.345 million contract with starting pitcher Jeff Samardzija Saturday.

The deal means the Cubs avoid going to arbitration with Smardzija. It's also the second straight year he's signed a one-year deal with the team.

The 29-year-old right-hander pitched 213.2 innings last season compiling an 8-13 record, a 4.34 ERA, 1.35 WHIP and 214 strikeouts.

The Cubs have now signed all their players that were arbitration eligible. The team still hasn't gone to arbitration since Theo Epstein became the team president in 2011.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Saturday
Jan182014

Chris Davis Agrees to One-Year Contract with O's

Robbie Rogers/MLB Photos via Getty Images(BALTIMORE) -- First baseman Chris Davis reached a one-year, $10.35 million agreement with the Baltimore Orioles allowing him to avoid salary arbitration.

The deal means Davis more than triples his 2013 salary of $3.3 million and puts him behind Nick Markakis ($15 million in 2014) and Adam Jones ($13 million) as the third highest paid player on the team.

Davis had a breakout season last year. He led the majors with 53 home runs while hitting .286 with 138 RBIs and finishing third in the American League MVP voting.

The 27-year-old Davis joins pitchers Tommy Hunter, Bud Norris, Brian Matusz and Troy Patton as players that avoided arbitration with the Orioles.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Friday
Feb012013

Pirates Reach Deals with Walker and McDonald

Paul Spinelli/MLB Photos via Getty Images(PITTSBURGH) -- The Pittsburgh Pirates reached one-year contracts with second baseman Neil Walker and pitcher James McDonald Thursday, avoiding salary arbitration with their final two eligible players.

Walker will get $3 million while McDonald gets $3,025,000.

The 27-year-old Walker hit .280 with 14 homers and 69 RBIs in 129 games last season.

McDonald, who started last season in the starting rotation, pitched well in the first half of last season, but had a 7.52 ERA after the All-Star break and was removed from the starting staff.

He is expected to be the teams third starter this season behind A.J. Burnett and Wandy Rodriguez.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

 

Thursday
Jan312013

Chase Headley Agrees to One-Year Contract With Padres

Jason Wise/MLB Photos via Getty Images(SAN DIEGO) -- Third baseman Chase Headley agreed to a one-year, $8.5 million contract with the San Diego Padres Wednesday, avoiding salary arbitration.

Headley will make $5.1 million more than he did last season.

"The process of arbitration is never that easy, and in this case, it's a good raise," Padres general manager Josh Byrnes said. "We're happy it's done. Chase earned his salary."

Headley had a breakout season last year. He hit .286 with a career-high 31 homers and he led the National League with 115 RBIs. Headley also won a Silver Slugger award and a gold glove, while finishing fifth in the NL MVP voting.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio