SEARCH

Entries in Abdel Basset al-Megrahi (4)

Sunday
May202012

Pan Am Bomber Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi Dies At 60

Manoocher Deghati/AFP/Getty Images(TRIPOLI) -- Libya’s Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, the only man convicted in the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, died in Tripoli on Sunday, according to published reports. He was 60.

Al-Megrahi was responsible for killing 270 people—including 189 Americans—in the plane bombing. He was later convicted by a special court in the Netherlands in 2002, and was released by Britain on compassionate grounds in 2009, sparking outrage among his victims’ families.

Al-Megrahi battled cancer and had been told he had only months to live.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Sep012011

Sen. Schumer Wants Lockerbie Bomber in Exchange for Libyan Aid

MANOOCHER DEGHATI/AFP/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Sen. Charles Schumer says it's time to play hardball with the new rulers of Libya.

The New York Democrat said Wednesday that if the Transitional National Council refuses to hand over Lockerbie bomber Abdel Basset al-Megrahi to the U.S., Washington should refuse to provide any financial aid to the TNC.

That’s not likely, however, since the Obama administration is preparing to release $1.5 billion in funds Gadhafi kept in the U.S. to the TNC while pressing them to review the al-Megrahi case.

Schumer, who complained two years ago when Scottish authorities released al-Megrahi from custody on compassionate grounds, said, "We put American lives and money on the line to help the Libyan people secure their freedom.  It’s time the Libyan government lives up to its commitment to create a free and accountable society by handing over al-Megrahi so that justice can finally be done."

Many of the 270 people killed when a bomb exploded on Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland in December 1988 were Americans returning home for Christmas.  Al-Megrahi, who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer, was the only person convicted in the bombing and is currently described as close to death at a villa north of Tripoli.

For now, the TNC refuses to give him up.  Libyan Justice Minister Mohammed al-Alagi said, "Megrahi has already been judged once and he will not be judged again.  We do not hand over Libyan citizens.  Gadhafi does."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Monday
Aug292011

Lockerbie Bomber Found in Libya; Won't Be Extradited to US

MAHMUD TURKIA/AFP/Getty Images(TRIPOLI, Libya) -- There seems to be little chance now that the only person tried and convicted for the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Scotland will be turned over to the U.S. for prosecution.

While the rebel-run Transitional National Council in Libya says it knows the whereabouts of so-called "Lockerbie bomber" Abdel Basset al-Megrahi, a representative for the group made it clear Sunday that "We will not give any Libyan citizen to the West."

Al-Megrhai was tried in Scotland for the terrorist bombing that killed 270 people, most of them Americans returning home for the Christmas holidays.  Two years ago, al-Megrahi was freed on compassionate grounds because his physician said he was dying of terminal cancer and only had a short time to live.

His release alone outraged the U.S. State Department and victims' families, but the most upsetting aspect of al-Megrahi's return to Libya was the hero's welcome he received from thousands upon arriving in Tripoli.

Two years later, al-Megrahi, who has always maintained his innocence, is still alive but said to be gravely ill.  CNN reports that he is in a coma and residing at his villa in Tripoli under the care of his family members, who say he is near death.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Aug252011

Lockerbie Bomber Keeping a Low Profile

This file photo dated Feb. 18, 1992 shows Libyan Abdel Basset Al-Megrahi escorted by security officers in Tripoli in Libya. Megrahi, jailed in 2001 over the bombing which killed 270 people, was freed in 2009 on compassionate grounds due to his terminal cancer. Photo by MANOOCHER DEGHATI/AFP/Getty Images(LONDON) -- It’s not just Gadhafi and family who have done a disappearing act. Convicted Pan Am 103 bomber Abdel Basset al-Megrahi seems to have gone missing, too.

Despite being handed a life sentence, the Lockerbie bomber was freed in 2009 when officials expected Megrahi had only months to live amid doctors' reports he had terminal cancer. Now, his neighbors in Tripoli tell the Daily Telegraph that he hasn’t been seen since the rebel advance into the city.
 
British Foreign Secretary William Hague has told the BBC that “if I was a Scottish minister I would be looking at this again and reviewing it to see what I could do. If in Scotland they want the active support of the UK government in seeking information about him and supporting any representations they want to make about him, they will certainly get that very energetic support."

The current British government was not in power when Megrahi was freed, and opposed the move.
 
Technically, Megrahi is still a Scottish prisoner released on license, and has to stay in contact with Scotland’s East Renfrewshire Council, which has tried unsuccessfully to reach him all week.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio