SEARCH

Entries in Abduction (3)

Wednesday
Jan092013

Family of Abducted US Reporter in Syria Pleads for Answers

Nicole Tung(NEW YORK) -- James Foley's family is making an all-out media push to get answers about the 39-year-old freelance journalist's abduction in Syria last Thanksgiving.

Foley, who was working for The Global Post, was reportedly driving his car in Idlib Province when men brandishing knives allegedly forced him out of the vehicle and kidnapped him.

Last week, Foley's family held a press conference to read a statement about his abduction and on Tuesday, his mother, Diane, appeared on NBC's Today to ask for information about where her son might have been taken.

Diane explained that her son was an objective reporter who "really cares, particularly about the vulnerable ones, the children in the midst of the war, and the civilians in the midst of it all."

Foley's brother, Michael, added, "He’s an innocent journalist who is doing his job, and to appeal to the people that are holding him, to release him safely, to release him unharmed."

While covering the civil unrest in Libya nearly two years ago, Foley was abducted and held by government forces for six weeks.

However, Diane said that kidnapping was different because Foley was taken in full view of others.  In Syria, all the family can go by is hearsay.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Saturday
Aug132011

American Abducted in Pakistan 

Photos.com/George Doyle/Thinkstock(LAHORE, Pakistan) -- An American citizen was abducted by gunmen Saturday from his house in the Pakistani city of Lahore.

BBC News reports that the man, identified by the U.S. embassy as Warren Weinstein, was taken from his home by eight kidnappers who attacked his house in the early morning hours.

Weinstein was living in Pakistan for seven years and was due to return to the U.S. on Aug. 15.

U.S. embassy spokesman Alberto Rodriguez announced that the organization is working closely with Pakistani authorities on the case.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio´╗┐

Wednesday
Feb162011

Mother Recounts How She Fled to Japan with American Son

Photo Courtesy - Getty Images(TOKYO) -- A bold-faced lie and a fake name for her child was all it took for a Japanese mother to abduct her American son to her native country.

"It was very easy to me," she said.

The 37-year-old mother, who detailed the 2008 abduction of her child away from his American father under the condition that her name not be used, told ABC News that she knowingly lied to obtain new passports to get out of the country and that, to her knowledge, no one at the Japanese consulate made any effort to make sure she was telling the truth.

"They just, how do you say, didn't notice," she said, even laughing as she talked about outsmarting the system.  "Maybe it was just kind of lucky."

The story provides a rare, inside look at a frustrating diplomatic tangle been two political allies who have spent years in discussions which have produced little action.

The woman's son, Wayne Sawyer, an energetic 4-year-old boy who now speaks virtually no English, is one of hundreds of American children taken to Japan by a parent who seeks refuge in the government's refusal to recognize U.S. child custody laws.

"You wonder, 'What's he going to think?'" Wayne's father, 47-year-old Scott Sawyer said.  "He can't fight back.  I'm a grown adult.  I can fight back.  I can go to Congress.  I can do all these things, and fight for him.  I'm not the victim here.  He is.  Every child who's been kidnapped is a victim here."

Among the circles of left-behind parents in the U.S., many of them fathers, Japan is known as a safe haven for parental abductions.  Once in Japan, the parent who abducted the child is protected by their government's unwillingness to sign the Hague Convention, a treaty that provides for the return of abducted children to the other parent.

The State Department has tried for years to negotiate Japan's signature on the Hague Convention and to try and resolve some of the 321 cases that have been filed with the department during the last 17 years.  But not one child has ever been returned to the U.S. from Japan through diplomatic measures.

"It should not be a diplomatic issue.  We have laws that need to be enforced," Sawyer said.  "My child should not be in Japan, and is in Japan as a result of criminal activity.  And that's what has to be straightened out here.  It's not for a diplomat to go and decide that."

In the case of Sawyer's ex-wife, she admitted to ABC News that she told the Consulate General of Japan in San Francisco that she lost her Japanese passport, when in reality, she had surrendered it in accordance with a U.S. court order.

Though the mother initially declined to tell ABC News how she got the passport for her son -- saying she would release the information when he was an adult -- she eventually admitted to using the fake name.  Documents obtained by ABC News show she requested Wayne's passport using the first name Issa, a name that Sawyer says has never been associated with the boy.  She used her maiden name as his last name.´╗┐

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio