SEARCH

Entries in Arrest (22)

Sunday
Mar032013

British Nurse Arrested in Connection to Cannibalism Case

Gilberto Valle (Image Credit: Myspace)(NEW YORK) -- As the trial of the police officer accused of planning to cannibalize a number of women continues in New York, police in Great Britain said they have arrested two men believed to be associated with the case.

Authorities in the county of Kent, in southeast England, said two men, ages 57 and 30, had been arrested in connection with the Gilberto Valle case in New York.

Valle, 28, has been dubbed the “cannibal cop” after his alleged plans to cook and eat as many as 100 women were thwarted by a joint investigation between the FBI and the New York Police Department.

Dale Bolinger, 57, identified himself to British media as the person who had been arrested. The nurse, who lives in Canterbury, allegedly boasted to Valle that he had eaten two people.

While a jury in New York heard how Bolinger, who allegedly posted under the username “Moody Blues,” was a mentor to Valle,  the 57-year-old dismissed his alleged comments of cannibalism as fantasy.

“I have to leave it to the police,” he told the Kentish Gazette.

Valle, of Forest Hills, Queens, was charged last year with one count of conspiracy to commit kidnapping, according to a federal criminal complaint, as well as using the National Crime Information Center database to access unauthorized data. He was arrested after his wife allegedly discovered evidence of his intended cannibalism on his computer.

Kathleen Mangan-Valle, 27, was the government’s first witness in her husband’s trial. She told the jury she fled the family’s home with their 1-year-old daughter after she became aware of  his plans.

A federal complaint alleges that Valle exchanged electronic messages with an unnamed co-conspirator “about kidnapping, cooking and eating body parts of [Victim 1].” Prosecutors say that one of the women Valle allegedly discussed eating matches the description of his wife.

Authorities allege that in addition to conspiring to kidnap “Victim 1,” he had discussed plans to “kidnap, rape, torture, kill, cook and eat body parts of a number of women.” He is accused of creating computer files pertaining to “at least 100 women and containing at least one photograph of each woman.”

Valle’s trial is scheduled to resume on Monday. If convicted, he could face life in prison.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jan292013

Oompa-Loompas Arrested in UK for Assault

Photodisc/Digital Vision/Thinkstock(LONDON) -- Police in Norfolk, England, say two men dressed as Oompa-Loompas from the book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory have been arrested on suspicion of assault.

The BBC reports a 28-year-old man was mugged on Dec. 27 by two men whose faces were painted orange and hair was dyed green.  A third man was also arrested for his involvement in the attack, but he was not dressed as a character from Roald Dahl's 1964 children's book.

The victim suffered cuts, a head injury and two black eyes.  The attackers are officially charged with causing grievous bodily harm.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Nov292012

Alleged Bosnian War Criminal Arrested in Upstate New York

Photodisc/Digital Vision/Thinkstock(UTICA, N.Y.) -- Federal law enforcement Wednesday arrested a man they say is wanted in Bosnia and Herzegovina for war crimes he committed nearly 20 years ago.

A native of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Suleman Mujagic, 50, now faces extradition and charges that stem from his actions during a 1995 battle in which he was commanding a platoon in the Army of the Autonomous Province of Western Bosnia.  The charges allege Mujagic, a lawful U.S. resident living in Utica, N.Y. at the time of his arrest, murdered a captured soldier and tortured another captured soldier, both fighting on behalf of the army of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
Nov192012

US Marine Arrested in Okinawa for Allegedly Trespassing

Stockbyte/Thinkstock(TOKYO) -- A U.S. marine was arrested in Okinawa on suspicion of trespassing over the weekend -- the third time an American serviceman has been linked to an alleged crime in Japan's southernmost island in a month.

This time, police say 1st Lt. Tomas Chanquet snuck into an unlocked room drunk and slept there until the resident spotted him.

The incident Sunday comes weeks after U.S. airmen reportedly assaulted a local teenager.

In October, two navy sailors were arrested for allegedly raping a young woman after a night of drinking.  The U.S. enforced curfews for all military personnel in response, but critics say that's done little to keep residents safe.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Sep142012

Arrest Made in Attack on US Consulate in Libya

GIANLUIGI GUERCIA/AFP/Getty Images(BENGHAZI, Libya) -- There were a number of developments in Libya Thursday as the search for the killers of U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans continued.

Libya's prime minister told Christiane Amanpour, Global Affairs Anchor of ABC News, that at least one arrest has been made in the attack on the consulate in Benghazi last Tuesday that officials believe had been planned for weeks.

Meanwhile, Attorney General Eric Holder said the FBI has already opened an investigation into the attacks and will be interviewing survivors in Libya.

More is being learned about the siege, which was described as nearly a five-hour gun battle.  Additional security eventually regained some control while employees escaped the consulate.  It was also nearly 12 hours before Ambassador Stevens' body was returned by local Libyans who had carried him to a hospital in an effort to save him.

In addition to Stevens, Sean Smith, a Foreign Service information management officer, died in the attack.

On Thursday, the names of the other two Americans were revealed: former Navy SEALs Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
Aug062012

Man Arrested for Throwing Bottle on Olympic Track

Cameron Spencer/Getty Images(LONDON) -- An Olympics that has gone off with nary a disruption got its first taste of unruly behavior Sunday from a fan who threw a beer bottle onto the Olympic track moments before the much-anticipated men’s 100m track final was set to begin.

As racing stars Usain Bolt, Justin Gatlin and Yohan Blake took their marks to claim their spots in Olympic history, a beer bottle sailed from the stands, landing just behind the runners’ starting blocks as the announcer called “set.”

The man, whom police did not identify, was immediately apprehended and arrested on suspicion of creating a public nuisance, a spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said.  He remained in police custody overnight and was expected to appear in court today.  If charged, he could face a prison sentence, fine, or both, since creating a public nuisance is a common law offense in the United Kingdom.

Police said the man had been shouting in the stands before he threw the bottle.  The race went on as planned, and the victor, Jamaica’s Usain Bolt, said he was not aware of the distraction at all.

The man who finished in third place, American Justin Gatlinsaid, said he was aware of the ruckus but did not think it  had an impact on the race.

In a strange coincidence and turn of bad luck for the suspect, Dutch bronze medal-winning judo competitor Edith Bosch tweeted that she had punched a “drunken” man.

“A drunken guest throws a bottle for me on the track! I have beaten him … unbelievable! #angry #disrespectful,” Bosch posted in Dutch, according to the New Zealand Herald.

She later told Dutch television reporters that she had seen the suspect acting in an unusual way before he threw the bottle.

“I had seen the man walking around earlier and said to people around me that he was a peculiar bloke,” she said. “Then he threw that bottle and in my emotion I hit him on the back with the flat of my hand.”

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jun152012

Tennessee Teen Arrested for Murder of Irish Student in Tokyo

Kevin Horan/Stone(TOKYO) -- Japanese police have formally arrested a Memphis, Tenn., teenager in connection with the murder of an Irish exchange student in Tokyo last month.  Richard Hinds, 19, is suspected of killing Nicola Furlong, 21, in her hotel room in the Shinjuku area, on May 24.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police Department told ABC News Hinds has admitted to strangling Furlong, but told investigators he had no intention to kill.

Hinds and 23-year-old American James Blackston had already been in custody on suspicion of molesting Furlong’s female friend, also an Irish national, inside a taxi the night of the murder.

Police say they decided to additionally charge Hinds with the killing after reviewing Furlong’s autopsy and examining surveillance footage from inside the hotel, though investigators would not elaborate on details.

Furlong was found strangled to death at the Keio Plaza Hotel following a night out with friends, attending a concert for rapper Nicki Minaj.  Police say a hotel employee went to check on Furlong’s room after hearing a loud noise and found her lying on the floor, with Hinds standing nearby.

Furlong was studying in the city of Takasaki, about 60 miles northwest of Tokyo.

Hinds is a well known Christian musician in the Memphis area, but had travelled abroad to work as a backup dancer to a Japanese R&B artist, according to ABC News affiliate WPTY-TV in Memphis.  He planned to return home on June 20, before he was arrested.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jun152012

Japanese Cult Member Katsuya Takahashi Arrested After 17 Years

Photodisc/Digital Vision/Thinkstock(TOKYO) -- The last remaining fugitive of the doomsday cult responsible for killing 13 people in Japan’s worst domestic terror attack has been arrested, ending an intense manhunt that gripped the nation for more than a week.

Katsuya Takahashi, 54, was arrested at a comic book café in the Tokyo neighborhood of Kamata Friday morning, after an employee spotted him and called police, according to broadcaster NHK.  He had been on the run for 17 years.

Takahashi’s capture ends a nationwide manhunt that began on June 3 after the arrest of another cult member, Naoko Kikuchi, who reportedly lived with him between 2001 and 2006.  The information Kikuchi shared with police helped investigators close in on Takahashi’s trail.

Thirteen members of the Aum Shinrikyo cult, including founder Shoko Asahara, have already been sentenced to death for their crimes.  In March 1995, the group unleashed sarin nerve gas on five trains in the Tokyo subway in a coordinated attack that killed 13 commuters and injured thousands more.

Police say Takahashi had been working for a construction company using a false name and had been living in a company dormitory south of Tokyo.  He went missing the day after Kikuchi was arrested, but he was spotted on surveillance camera at a local bank a few days later.  Police released hundreds of fliers with Takahashi’s photo, eventually leading to his arrest on Friday.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
Jul182011

Scotland Yard Chief Resigns as UK Phone Hacking Scandal Grows

Dan Kitwood/Getty Images(LONDON) -- The growing phone hacking scandal in the U.K. has prompted the head of the famed Scotland Yard to resign.   

Sir Paul Stephenson, chief of London’s Metropolitan Police, announced his resignation Sunday amid speculation some of his officers accepted bribes from tabloid reporters in exchange for news tips, as well as because of his admitted links to a former News of the World editor he had hired for a public relations job.  That former editor, Neil Wallis, was arrested last week in connection with the phone hacking scandal.  Stephenson has denied any wrongdoing.

Earlier Sunday, Rebekah Brooks, the 43-year-old executive who ran media mogul Rupert Murdoch’s British tabloids, was arrested at a London police station in connection with the scandal after voluntarily arriving to answer questions about it.  Brooks, who herself resigned Friday as head of Murdoch's News International, was later released on bail.

The scandal broke almost two weeks ago when it was revealed that reporters working for Murdoch allegedly hacked the voicemail account of Milly Dowler, a British teen who was murdered in 2002.  The reporters allegedly deleted messages, leading the victim’s family to believe their child was still alive.

Brooks has denied knowing anything about reporters hacking phone accounts.

On Saturday, Murdoch took out an ad in every London newspaper to apologize for the scandal.  The ad, which Murdoch signed, read, “The News of the World was in the business of holding others to account.  It failed when it came to itself.  We are sorry.”

Murdoch shut down the profitable tabloid last Sunday in the wake of the scandal.  On Friday, Murdoch personally apologized to Milly Dowler's family.

Murdoch is scheduled to testify before Britain’s Parliament Tuesday and answer questions from lawmakers about the scandal.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jun212011

Police Nab Teen in England Believed to Be Behind LulzSec

Digital Vision/Thinkstock(LONDON) -- A teenager believed to be a main player behind the hacking group LulzSec has been arrested in England, according to Scotland Yard.

The 19-year-old, who has not been identified, was detained in Wickford, Essex after a joint operation by the FBI and Scotland Yard.  He is being held at a police station in London where he is being questioned.  No charges have yet been filed.

LulzSec has taken credit for cyber attacks on various websites, including ones belonging to Sony and the U.S. Senate.  Just last week, the group claimed responsibility for an electronic attack on the CIA's public website.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio