SEARCH

Entries in Attack (50)

Saturday
Jul132013

Attack Kills Seven UN Peacekeepers in Darfur

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(NYALA, Sudan) -- There has not  yet been a claim of responsibility in what is described as the deadliest attack on United Nations peacekeepers in Darfur. Seven peacekeepers were killed and another 17 U.N. workers were wounded in the attack.

According to BBC News, the attack occurred near a Undamid base at Manawashi, when the peacekeepers were about 16 miles from a second Unamid base at Khar Abeche. Unamid is a joint African Union and United Nations mission.

Officials did not release the names or nationalities of the victims.

The attack was the single deadliest on the international force in Sudan.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Sunday
Jun232013

American Citizen Among Those Killed in Pakistan Attack

George Doyle/Thinkstock(ISLAMABAD) -- An American citizen was one of 11 people killed in an attack in northern Pakistan on Sunday.

Authorities say Islamist militants wearing police uniforms opened fire on a base camp at Nanga Parbat, the ninth-highest peak in the world.

According to BBC News, the attack killed at least nine foreign tourists. The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, claiming it was in response to the killing of its second-in-command, Waliur Rehman, in a drone strike in May.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Saturday
Jun012013

Taliban Denies Responsibility for Attack on Red Cross

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(KABUL, Afghanistan) -- Just days after an attack on the International Committee of the Red Cross, the Taliban denied responsibility for the suicide bombing on Friday.

The Red Cross, which is one of the largest and most effective non-government organizations in Afghanistan, had been considered "off-limits." Because the Red Cross treats Taliban and civilian injuries alike, the Taliban says that their fighters were under orders not to attack Red Cross workers, says the New York Times.

The Taliban made a public statement last year praising the work done by the Red Cross, have instructed their fighters to allow Red Cross vehicles free passage in Taliban territory and have even given escorts to Red Cross workers in Taliban-controlled areas.

According to the New York Times, a Taliban spokesperson said that his organization “wants to clarify to everyone that it was neither behind the May 29th attack on the I.C.R.C. office in Jalalabad city nor does it support such attacks.”

It is not common to see the Taliban deny responsibility for an attack in this way, which raises additional questions. Not the least of those questions is who, if not the Taliban, was behind last week's attack and why they have not claimed responsibility.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Saturday
May042013

Five NATO Soldiers Killed in Southern Afghanistan

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(KABUL, Afghanistan) -- Five NATO troops were killed in an explosion in southern Afghanistan on Saturday.

The troops, members of the International Security Assistance Force, were killed by an improvised explosive device, according to a statement released by ISAF. NATO officials would not confirm the location of the explosion or the nationality of the troops who were killed.

Many of the troops in southern Afghanistan are British or American.

According to BBC News, the deaths bring to total number of coalition troops killed in 2013 to 47, including 37 Americans.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Nov012012

New Detailed Account of Benghazi Attack Notes CIA’s Quick Response

STR/AFP/GettyImages(WASHINGTON) -- Intelligence officials have disclosed a new detailed timeline of the attack on the American consulate in Benghazi, acknowledging the CIA played a greater role in responding to the attack than has previously been disclosed.  A senior U.S. intelligence official also insisted that the CIA security team that initially responded to the attack was not given orders “to stand down in providing support,” as had been suggested in media reports.

The timeline provided by a senior U.S. intelligence official gives the first precise account of how CIA security teams provided the first response to the Sept. 11 attack on the diplomatic mission in Benghazi, which killed four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens.

The attack has become a political hot potato in the presidential campaign, with conservatives accusing the administration of not being transparent.  The State Department has previously released a detailed account of the night’s events, but did not acknowledge a CIA role in the response.  The timeline given by a senior Intelligence official confirms that the facility previously described by the State Department as an annex, was in fact, a facility housing CIA security officers.  It does not provide any additional details on the current intelligence assessment that the attack was an opportunistic result of earlier protests that day outside the U.S. embassy in Cairo over an anti-Muslim movie.

The official says there was “no second guessing” of those on the ground in Libya by senior officials either in Libya or Washington.

“There were no orders to anybody to stand down in providing support,” said the official.  The official’s comments appeared to be a direct rebuttal of a Fox News report that CIA teams on the ground had been told by superior officers to “stand down” from providing security support to the consulate.

According to the official, upon learning of the attack at the consulate, the security team at the annex responded “as quickly and effectively as possible.”  The official described how the security team tried to rally additional support from local Libyan forces and heavier weapons, but that when that could not be accomplished “within minutes” they moved out to the compound. The official called the security team “genuine heroes” who risked their lives to save those at the compound.

According to the new timeline the annex received a call at 9:40 p.m. local time that the consulate was coming under attack. A team of six CIA security operatives left the annex for the mission within 25 minutes of that call.

Over the next 25 minutes the security team approached the compound and attempted to secure heavy weapons.  They encountered heavy enemy fire when they entered the consulate compound to locate Stevens and the other Americans who were there at the time of the attack.

At 11:11 p.m., an unarmed U.S. military surveillance drone arrived over the compound.  U.S. officials have told ABC News that the drone had been redirected to Benghazi from an ongoing mission elsewhere in Libya.

By 11:30pm, all of the Americans, with the exception of the missing Stevens, had left the compound in vehicles that immediately came under fire.

The annex itself came under sporadic small arms and RPG fire for the next 90 minutes before the attackers eventually dispersed.

At around 1 a.m. an additional CIA  team of about six security officers from the embassy in Tripoli had arrived at Benghazi.  U.S. officials have acknowledged that the embassy in Tripoli had chartered an aircraft to take the team to Benghazi.  The official disclosed the new detail that two U.S. military officers were part of the team that flew in from Tripoli.

Upon learning that the situation at the annex had calmed down, the team that came in from Tripoli initially wanted to focus their attention on locating Stevens, who had been taken to a local hospital.

When the team finally managed to secure transportation and an armed escort into Benghazi, they learned that Stevens  “was almost certainly dead and that the security situation at the hospital was uncertain.”  At that point they headed to the annex to help evacuate the Americans located there .

They arrived at the annex at  5:15 a.m.,  just before mortar rounds begin to hit the complex.  The attack killed two security officers, Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods, who were located on the annex’s roof.   Doherty had been part of the security team that had flown in from Tripoli.  The new attack on the annex lasted only 11 minutes.

Less than an hour later everyone at the annex was evacuated with the help of  "a heavily armed Libyan military unit."

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Oct232012

Email Alerts Describe Benghazi Consulate Assault Unfolding

John Foxx/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- A series of email alerts sent as Obama administration officials monitored the attack on the U.S consulate in Benghazi last month are the latest to shine light on the chaotic events that culminated in the death of U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

The names of the individual recipients of the emails, first reported by CBS News but independently obtained by ABC News Tuesday evening, are redacted. A source who requested anonymity said it appears they are sent by the State Department Operations Center to distribution lists and email accounts for the top national security officials at the State Department, Pentagon, the FBI, the White House Situation Room and the office of the Director of National Intelligence.

The first email, with a subject line of “U.S. Diplomatic Mission in Benghazi Under Attack,” sent at 4:05 p.m., about 25 minutes after the attack began, describes an assault on the compound by 20 armed people.

“The Regional Security Officer reports the diplomatic mission is under attack,” the email states. “Embassy Tripoli reports approximately 20 armed people fired shots; explosions have been heard as well.”

“Ambassador Stevens, who is currently in Benghazi, and four COM (Chief of Mission) personnel are in the compound safe haven,” the email continues. “The 17th of February militia is providing security support.”

The next email sent at 4:54 p.m. states that the shooting has stopped and the compound was cleared, adding that a response team was “onsite attempting to locate COM personnel.”

The third email updates officials that Ansar al-Sharia claimed responsibility for the Benghazi attack on Facebook and Twitter, and has threatened to attack the Tripoli embassy.

The timing of the emails is consistent with what a senior State Department official told reporters at a briefing on Oct. 9.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Sep142012

Taliban Kill 2 US Marines at US-British Base in Afghanistan; Prince Harry Safe

JOHN STILLWELL/AFP/GettyImages(HELMAND, Afghanistan) -- Taliban fighters Friday launched a complex and sustained attack on the large U.S.-British military base in Southern Afghanistan where Britain's Prince Harry is based, killing two U.S. Marines and injuring several others.

Taliban fighters attacked the coalition base at Camp Bastion-Camp Leatherneck in Helmand Province just before midnight local time with small-arms fire and rocket attacks, according to U.S. officials.

A U.S. official said Prince Harry is safe and was not affected by the attack. The British Defense Ministry said Friday that Prince Harry had been deployed to Camp Bastion along with his Apache helicopter unit. It is Prince Harry's second deployment to Afghanistan.

A Taliban spokesman had said days after the announcement of Harry's deployment that they would try to kill him while he's in Helmand Province.

"We will do our best to kill Prince Harry and Britain's other troops based in Helmand," Zabihullah Mujahid said. "It is not important for us to kidnap him. We will target him and we will kill him."

The coalition camp houses as many as 28,000 international troops. The British side of the base is known as Camp Bastion, the adjoining U.S. facility is called Camp Leatherneck. Defense officials say the casualties and damage to buildings and aircraft occurred on a Marine portion of the base located at Camp Bastion.

A Defense official said two Harrier fighter jets flown by U.S. Marines were damaged in the attack.

Master Sgt. Bob Barko Jr., a spokesman for International Security Assistance Force Joint Command, said a "follow-on assessment" of damage to the base is ongoing.

The attack was repelled, but it is unclear how many Taliban fighters might have been killed or wounded.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jun222012

Taliban Launches Deadly Assault at Afghan Lakeside Resort

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(KABUL, Afghanistan) -- Heavily armed Taliban insurgents stormed a popular lakeside hotel just outside of Kabul, Afghanistan, killing at least 18 people and wounding several more in a brazen overnight attack.

The assault, which lasted nearly 12 hours, began shortly before midnight on Thursday.  As many as eight insurgents, some reportedly disguised in burqahs, killed the security guards at the hotel, stormed inside and began firing at guests.

The dining hall was packed with civilians, including women and children.  The victims included the hotel manager, several private security guards and at least one police officer.

The Spozhmai Hotel, on Lake Qarghah, is a short drive outside of Kabul and is popular among Afghan officials and dignitaries looking to escape the blistering Kabul heat.

Once inside, insurgents battled security forces, then later Afghan police, with loud explosions and smoke emanating from the site throughout the night.  Journalists on the scene described having to shelter behind a small concrete barrier with gunshots whizzing overhead to escape being caught in the crossfire.

Some guests escaped by jumping out of second story windows and crouching in the lake to avoid detection.  Dozens of others were taken hostage by the insurgents before being released.  Witnesses describe seeing ambulances loaded with bloodied and wounded bodies being rushed to hospitals in Kabul.  NATO helicopters that circled overhead well into the night remained in place until the early afternoon.

Afghan commandos eventually raided the compound, killing the gunmen and releasing the remaining hostages.

The Taliban quickly claimed responsibility.  In a statement posted to their website, the group said insurgents targeted the hotel because it was a "hub of obscenity and vulgarity frequented by the lusty foreign and local top-level military and officials."  Other Taliban statements say the hotel was attacked because it was serving alcohol, something the Taliban fiercely oppose, and that its female staff members were subject to mistreatment.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai condemned the attack, which comes just one day after he warned Afghans in a nationally televised speech that insurgent attacks were on the rise.

This attack marks the end to a particularly violent week in the country.  On Wednesday, a suicide bomber on a motorcycle attacked a checkpoint in a busy market, killing 21 people, including three U.S. soldiers.  A day earlier, militants stormed a NATO base and attacked a police checkpoint in the country's south, wounding several U.S. troops.  And on Monday, three gunmen in Afghan police uniforms opened fire on coalition forces in Kandahar, killing one U.S. service member and wounding nine others.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
May162012

Another Grenade Attack in Kenya Kills at Least One, Injures Three

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(MOMBASA, Kenya) -- Local police in the coastal city of Mombasa say the latest grenade attack in the country since it sent troops into Somalia last year killed one and injured three others Tuesday night at a restaurant and sports bar. Kenya’s Daily Nation reports there were warnings in the last few months that the Bella Vista restaurant would be targeted.  A witness said the attackers in two cars opened fire first in the parking lot before lobbing three grenades toward the entrance of the building, killing a security guard.

Kenya police blame Somalia’s Al Shabab insurgents and sympathizers for the series of grenade attacks in Nairobi, Mombasa, and near the border with Somalia since last October.  Al Shabab has vowed reprisal attacks on Kenya.  Most of the attacks have been targeted at local Kenyans, though the U.S. Embassy recently warned of a possible attack on hotels or government buildings in Nairobi.

Also Tuesday, at the Dadaab refugee camp near the border with Somalia, a police officer was killed while escorting aid workers when his car was hit by an improvised bomb.  Security challenges in Dadaab are making it difficult for aid organizations working at the world’s largest refugee camp that most people now associate with last year’s famine in the Horn of Africa.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Feb142012

State Department Condemns Thailand Attack, Suggests Iran Link

US State Department(WASHINGTON) -- State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland condemned the explosions in Thailand Tuesday. Though she never offered a direct link, she drew a parallel between the blasts in Bangkok and the attacks on Israeli officials in India and Georgia, which Israel has blamed on Iran.  Nuland said it was reprehensible that states and nonstate actors (Hezbollah) resort to terrorism as “a legitimate foreign policy tool.”

She did not directly link Tuesday’s attacks in Thailand with Monday’s attacks against Israeli diplomats, as the blasts are currently under investigation.

“However,” Nuland said, “we do note that they come on the heels of other disrupted attacks that do have Iranian fingerprints on them.”

“What I would say is that with regard to this bombing, the incidents in Delhi, incidents in Georgia, while we will await the results of the investigations, these events do come on the heels of other disrupted attacks targeted at Israel and Western interests, including an Iranian-sponsored attack in Baku, Azerbaijan and a Hezbollah-linked attack in Bangkok, Thailand, before this,” she said.

So does that mean the United States agrees with Israel’s assertion that Iran is guilty?

“We seem to have an uptick in this kind of violence,” she said. “We’re concerned about it. Some of these have been linked to Iran. With regard to these recent ones, we’re going to await the results of the investigation, but we are looking at the links.”

So is it possible that Iran and Israel are engaged in a proxy war against each other?
"We are concerned about use of international terrorism by Iran or by anybody else against Israel or against any other innocents and about a spike in the number of incidents that we’ve seen,” Nuland answered.

But Nuland couldn’t escape the linkage language.

“The point is,” she said, “that it is not an accident, that we are now drawing connections, that we are concerned, all right, that we are concerned that there has been a recent aggressive spike in use of terror as a weapon.”

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio