SEARCH

Entries in Boko Haram (7)

Sunday
Apr292012

Attackers Open Fire and Bomb Bayero University in Nigeria; Six Dead 

AMINU ABUBAKAR/AFP/GettyImages(NEW YORK) -- At least 16 people are dead and six others are in serious condition after gunmen attacked a university in Kano, Nigeria, the BBC reports.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack at Bayero University, where a Christian worship service was underway, but the militant group known as Boko Haram is active in the city, and has recently attacked churches, the BBC says. In addition to firing guns, police said the attackers used small explosives inside soft drink cans, a method known to be used by Boko Haram, according to the BBC.

Police are searching for the assailants.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Mar082012

Two Western Hostages Killed During Attempted Rescue in Nigeria

Jupiterimages/Thinkstock(LAGOS, Nigeria) -- A Briton and an Italian man, who were kidnapped by militants in Nigeria last year, were killed in a rescue attempt on Thursday.

British Prime Minister David Cameron and Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan confirmed the deaths in a rescue operation conducted by forces from both countries. The two leaders say the decision was made to rescue Christopher McManus, 28, and Franco Lamolinara, 47, because they believed the men were in imminent danger, reports BBC News. Italian authorities say they were unaware of the military action that left one of their citizens dead.

The men were working as engineers on a building project for the Central Bank in Birnin Kebbi, a city in northern Nigeria, when they were kidnapped in May by Boko Haram militants. Boko Haram has been responsible for several bombings in the country, with the worst one occurring on Christmas Day at multiple locations, resulting in dozens dead. The Islamic group, whose name means "Western education is a sin," are said to have killed McManus and Lamolinara during the rescue attempt.

The captors were reportedly caught after a heavy gun battle.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Saturday
Jan212012

Update: Explosions Kill At Least 120 in Nigerian City 

ABC News Radio(KANO, Nigeria) -- At least 120 people were killed from explosions in the northern Nigerian city of Kano on Friday.

Bombs exploded in several locations in the second-largest city including police stations and government offices.The government have confirmed seven deaths but witnesses and the Red Cross say hundreds are dead with a total so far of 120 though the number continues to climb.

Islamic militant sect, Boko Haram claimed responsibility for the attacks which involved at least two suicide bombers.

A television reporter with a private television station Channels TV was shot and killed by unknown gunmen outside the Kano State Government house where he had gone to interview people following the explosions. The station confirmed the death of 31-year-old Eneche Akogwua, a Kano correspondent.

The Kano State Government issued a 24-hour curfew following the attacks.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Saturday
Jan072012

20 Killed in Nigerian Sectarian Violence

ABC News(ABUJA, Nigeria) -- Nearly 20 people were killed in new attacks from Islamist sect Boko Haram in Nigeria.

BBC News reports that the attack occurred at a townhall in Mubi in Adamawa state where Christian members of the Igbo group were meeting on Friday. Boko Haram is also believed to have killed six people during a church service in Gombe on Thursday.

The Islamist group have escalated attacks around the country over the past few months with the most deadly being the coordinated Christmas Day attacks on churches across the country resulting in the death of over 40 people and injuring dozens.

Following the Christmas day bombings, the radical sect warned Christians living in the northern part of Nigeria and considered mainly Muslim areas, to leave and return to the south. The group also called Muslims living in the south to return to the north.

The attacks come a week after President Goodluck Jonathan issued a state of emergency in Yobe and Borno states as well as other states where Boko Haram is believed to be operating from.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Sunday
Nov062011

US Embassy in Nigeria Warns of Possible Attacks in Abuja

ABC News Radio(ABUJA, Nigeria) -- On Saturday, the U.S. Mission in Nigeria issued an emergency message warning U.S. citizens of possible terror attacks in the country's capital of Abuja.

The warning comes a day after bomb and gun attacks in Damaturu in Yobe State which left dozens dead and scores injured. The Islamic sect known as Boko Haram carried out the deadly attacks and are believed to have recently attacked neighboring Borno State.

The U.S. embassy warned of possible attacks at hotels in Abuja including Nicon Luxury, the Sheraton Hotel, and the Transcorp Hilton Hotel. The embassy cancelled scheduled events in the possible target locations and advised citizens to avoid the hotels.

Boko Haram claimed responsibility for the Damatur attack and further attacks may be planned as Muslims celebrate the festival of Eid al-Adha.

In a statement, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned the attacks and called for an end to the violence and reiterated, "his firm conviction that no objective sought can justify this resort to violence."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Saturday
Nov052011

At Least 50 Killed After Bomb and Gun Attacks in Nigeria

ABC News Radio(DAMATURU, Nigeria) -- At least 50 people were killed in a series of bomb and gun attacks in the Nigerian town of Damaturu on Friday.

Red Cross officials report that many people fled their homes following the attacks in Yobe state on military buildings, churches and police headquarters. The attacks began at 6:30 p.m. and continued throughout the night with gun battles between the attackers and security forces.

According to BBC News, the attack is believed to have been carried out by the Islamist Boko Haram group which has carried out similar attacks in the past including a recent suicide bomb attack at a military headquarters as well as bombings on buildings in the city of Maiduguri in nearby Borno state.

State officials say they are still trying to determine the amount of casualties.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jun162011

Explosion in Nigerian Capital Kills At Least Two

ABC News Radio(ABUJA) -- On Thursday, a suspected suicide bomber died in an explosion at the police headquarters in the Nigerian capital of Abuja.

According to NEXT, a car that was following the convoy of Inspector General of Police Hafiz Ringim into the headquarters parking lot exploded after a traffic warden redirected it away from the convoy.

Two people including the warden are confirmed dead. The number of fatalities is expected to rise; dozens were injured and the number of people who were in the parking lot at the time of the explosion is unknown. A Red Cross spokesperson informed the BBC that they recovered four bodies at the scene. Police said at least 33 cars were destroyed and 40 others received minor damage.

No group has claimed responsibility, however, BBC reports that officials say they believe that Islamist group Boko Haram is involved. The group claimed responsibility for bombings on the day of President Goodluck Jonathan's inauguration in May. On Tuesday, the Nigerian police chief said he would send more troops to the group's base in the north of the country.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio