SEARCH

Entries in Bomber (2)

Monday
Jul252011

Norway Shooting Survivor: 'They Just Fell, Lifeless'

Verard M. Aas/presse30.no/Getty Images(OSLO, Norway) -- Swimming 100 meters off the shore of Utoya island in Norway, Kristoffer Nyborg was relieved when he saw a policeman approaching a group of terrified teens on the shore. Gunfire had erupted on the island just moments before, and Nyborg had already seen children murdered. He thought that at least the group on the shore would be safe.

"But then he took out his weapon and executed them," Nyborg said.

Nyborg, 24, had been working at the Norwegian Labour party youth camp Friday when a gunman wearing a police uniform, identified by authorities as 32-year-old Anders Breivik, opened fire on the defenseless youths. Before it was over, at least 68 people would be killed.

In an interview with ABC News, Nyborg said that the shooting started just after there had been a group talk about a deadly bombing in Oslo just a few hours before -- also the work of Breivik, according to police.

Nyborg saw kids running and shouting about a shooter so he ran as well. When he came across a group of 10 youths, they tried to make their way to the shore. Before they made it, Nyborg said he saw three girls gunned down in the distance.

"It wasn't like the movies where you see blood," he said. "There was no blood. They just fell, lifeless."

When his group made it to the shore they joined approximately another 20 children, aged 13-19. In a snap decision, he told them they had to swim to save their lives. Nyborg led the youths into the water, but a handful were too panicked to get in.

Then he saw the man in the police uniform approach the kids left on the beach. "I thought they were all saved," he said. After the man opened fire into the group, he turned his weapon on Nyborg and the other swimmers.

Nyborg said he thought he was going to die and he saw at least one girl swimming with him sink below the surface after bullets ripped through the water all around them.

Despite his efforts, Nyborg said only he and three others made it all the way to the closest shore. The rest grew too tired and turned back to the island -- back to the massacre. He said he doesn't know if any of them made it out alive.

Breivik, who posted an extreme right-wing online manifesto, appeared in his first court hearing Monday and confessed he was behind the bombing and the shooting. He said he was not guilty, however, and that he was trying to change Norwegian society for the better by attacking the Labour party for "treason."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Jul132011

Explosions Rock India's Financial Capital Mumbai

ABC News(MUMBAI) -- Bombs rocked Mumbai and killed more than 20 people in jewelry and financial districts in the first major terror attack since Islamist gunmen from Pakistan killed 175 in a multi-day attack in November 2008.

Indian officials said the blasts had killed 21 people and wounded more than 100, and that the toll was expected to rise. The Indian government did not assign blame for Wednesday's attack. It has blamed the Pakistani-based militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba for the 2008 Mumbai attack -- for which the Indian government says there was Pakistani support.

The Pakistani government was quick to issue a statement condemning Wednesday's attack.

A bomb exploded in Mumbai's jewelry market at around 7 p.m. local time, followed quickly by a second blast in the Opera House business district, and a third bomb in a crowded central Mumbai neighborhood. At least one of the explosions reportedly involved a vehicle bomb.

The U.S. Consulate in Mumbai released a statement reminding U.S. citizens "to exercise prudence," to monitor the news, and to follow directions from Indian officials. "At this time, there is no reason to suspect that U.S. citizens were the target of the attacks," said the statement, "and there are no reports of U.S. citizens killed or injured as a result of these attacks."

In a statement, President Obama condemned the bombings, calling them "outrageous," and pledged U.S. support for the Indian government. "The American people will stand with the Indian people in times of trial," said the president, "and we will offer support to the India's efforts to bring the perpetrators of these terrible crimes to justice."

On November 26, 2008, 10 Pakistani terrorists entered Mumbai from the sea and began conducting assaults on civilian targets throughout the city, including a hospital, a train station, two luxury hotels, a bar popular with foreigners and a Jewish community center. They killed civilians with automatic weapons and explosives and took hostages. By November 29, all but one terrorist had been killed by Indian security forces.

The sole surviving attacker, Ajmal Kasab, told Indian authorities that Lashkar-e-Taiba (LET) was behind the attacks. Kasab was found guilty of murder and dozens of other charges and has been sentenced to death.

Pakistani-American David Headley, born Daood Sayed Gilani, pled guilty in 2010 to helping the LET plan the attacks. Headley made numerous trips to Mumbai to scout the locations. Both Indian and U.S. investigators said that Headley told them the ISI helped LET plan the terror operation. Testifying at the federal trial of Tahawwur Rana, his alleged coconspirator, Headley said the leadership of the ISI was not involved in the Mumbai attack planning, but testified that some ISI agents were involved. Rana was convicted of providing support to LET but acquitted of any role in the 2008 Mumbai attacks.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio