SEARCH

Entries in Buckingham Palace (16)

Wednesday
May012013

Queen of England Hiring New Chef

TOBY MELVILLE/AFP/Getty Images(LONDON) -- The queen of England is looking for a new sous chef for Buckingham Palace. In an ad posted on the Royal Household’s job site, the chef is required to have a catering certification and work 45 hours a week for $36,000 a year.

The royal salary range is low according to Indeed.com, which places the average sous chef salary in the U.S. at $47,000.

Accommodations are offered for the royal chef job, but the candidate “must be willing to spend approximately three months of the year away from London working at other UK residences.”

“From state banquets for 200 to lunches for two; and from canapé receptions for 800 to staff restaurant meals; our chefs prepare it all to the same exceptional standards,” the ad reads.

In addition to traveling and preparing meals, the chef would also be required to train junior chefs and be in charge when working in smaller locations.

The candidate must have menu planning experience, organizational skills, a “pro-active attitude” and a passion for food.

Applications are due by May 10.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Sunday
Feb032013

British Police Arrest, Taser Man Outside Buckingham Palace

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- British Police arrested a man outside Buckingham Palace after he was holding a knife to his throat Sunday.

The incident occurred right before noon.

Authorities said the man had two knives. When the man was challenged by police, he acted aggressively and a “taser was discharged.”

The man’s identity has not been released.

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip were not at the palace at the time of the incident.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Aug222012

Nude Photos of Prince Harry Surface Online

Stuart Wilson/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Pictures of a naked Prince Harry at a Las Vegas hotel that surfaced online are real, Buckingham Palace has confirmed.

TMZ posted photos overnight of the prince playing pool in a hotel suite room fully naked.  In one of the photos, reportedly taken on Friday, Harry is seen standing and covering his genitals with his hand.  An unidentified woman, who also appears to be naked, is standing behind him.

In another photo, the 27-year-old prince is bear-hugging a naked woman.

Prince Harry has been on holiday with friends, letting off steam before the next phase of his military duties, sources told ABC News.

The palace said it won't be making any further comments about the nude photos.

"Everybody knows better than to party naked in a room full of strangers without confiscating the cellphones.  That's just Hollywood 101," said ABC News public relations consultant Howard Bragman of Reputation.com.  "There's always deniability, but once the photos are taken, you're caught."

Harry's time in Las Vegas had been low-key.  Harry and Olympic gold medalist Ryan Lochte faced off Monday in a swimming battle at a pool party, according to video obtained by the New York Daily News. The impromptu faceoff occurred at the XS Nightclub pool at the Wynn Hotel.  Lochte can be seen in the video raising his hands in victory, just as if he'd defeated former rival Michael Phelps for gold.

Harry, third in line to the British throne, has been in Vegas since the weekend.  The prince was spotted on Saturday chilling out a few bungalows away at a pool party Jennifer Lopez hosted at MGM Grand's Wet Republic, according to People magazine.

video platform video management video solutions video player

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Jun202012

Vacancy Listed for House Manager at Buckingham Palace

Comstock/Thinkstock(LONDON) -- Fancy a job working for the British royals?  Well, you may be in luck -- there's a freshly listed $78,000-per-year vacancy for a house manager at Buckingham Palace.

The queen is currently seeking a master of the household’s office, who will support the delivery of hospitality services at all the royal U.K. residences, according to the Royals website.  As stated in the advertisement -- which says the position pays £50,000 per year -- the job involves overseeing events, predominately at Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and St. James’s Palace, and leading, managing and motivating a team of highly trained staff.

The highly sought-after position requires a great deal of hospitality experience.  The listing mentions that applicants should have senior or general management level experience at a five-star establishment.

And whoever gets this coveted position will be responsible for managing a budget of £1.8 million (about $3 million).

However, the financial situation for the Queen -- who is the world’s largest personal landowner -- isn’t quite what it used to be.  The budget for the royal household shrunk this year to $57.8 million, down from $62.8 million last year.  This could lead to some creative corner-cutting in this newly offered role.

Applicants had better hurry and get their resumes in order though -- the closing date for the listing is July 4.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
Feb062012

Queen Elizabeth II Celebrates 60 Year Anniversary

John Stillwell - Pool/Getty Images(LONDON) -- In 1952, the woman known today as Queen Elizabeth II was just Elizabeth, a 25-year-old member of England's royal family visiting a remote village in Kenya.

When word came on Feb. 6 of that year that her father, George VI, had died, Elizabeth cut her trip short and flew home to London.  She was greeted at the airport by her country's then-Prime Minister Winston Churchill and she was crowned Queen Elizabeth II.

Monday, 60 years later, the 85-year-old Queen marked her Diamond Jubilee anniversary with a message thanking the British people for their support, and pledging to continue her dedication to serving them and people around the world.

"I am writing to thank you for the wonderful support and encouragement that you have given to me and Prince Philip over these years," she wrote Monday in a message to the nation, which was released by Buckingham Palace. "In this special year, as I dedicate myself anew to your service, I hope that we will all be reminded of the power of togetherness and the convening strength of family, friendship and good neighborliness, examples of which I have been fortunate to see throughout my reign."

The Queen and her husband Prince Philip, whom she wed in 1947, marked the anniversary Sunday by attending a church service on her private Sandringham estate in Norfolk, outside London.

The anniversary makes Queen Elizabeth, already Britain's oldest serving monarch, the country's longest-serving monarch after Queen Victoria, who reigned for more than 63 years. The queen, mother to four and grandmother to eight, has now outlasted 11 U.S. presidents.

"Queen Elizabeth II rates among the best, in fact, better than the best," Dickie Arbiter, former press secretary to the Queen, told ABC News.

"The queen doesn't change. The queen adapts, and that's why it survives," he said of the monarch and the monarchy.

Celebrations of her Diamond Jubilee officially begin Monday when the queen and Prince Philip, 90, visit a nursery school and the town hall in the town of King's Lynn.

The celebrations will continue throughout the year as members of the royal family -- from Prince Charles to Prince William and Kate Middleton -- travel around the world to take part in ceremonies and events honoring the queen.  The queen herself and Philip, also known as the Duke of Edinburgh, will embark on a tour of England in March.

The main event, the 2012 Diamond Jubilee weekend, will be held in June and feature a star-studded concert and boat pageant on the Thames River boasting a 1,000 vessel strong flotilla.

The Palace also released on Monday a special set of portraits of the queen and Philip, taken by John Swannell in the Centre Room at Buckingham Palace last December, to mark the Jubilee. Two new photographs of the queen, wearing the same necklace Queen Victoria wore in her own Diamond Jubilee portrait in 1897, were also released.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
Dec052011

Queen Taking Pay Freeze Amid UK Austerity Measures

John Stillwell - Pool/Getty Images(LONDON) -- In a sign of dire economic times across the pond, Buckingham Palace is now doing some budget busting, with the queen herself due for a pay freeze and Prince Charles set to foot the bill for some major expenses.

Queen Elizabeth II will see six consecutive years of frozen pay, as new austerity measures in the U.K. have cut funding for the royal household.

Taxpayer funding for royal travel and royal palaces has also been put on the chopping block, so British taxpayers will no longer foot the bill for Prince William and Kate Middleton’s travels and security.  The tab for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s expenses will now be picked up by Prince Charles.  The new measures also will lead to fewer royal parties and events, and no repairs for the royal palaces.

The queen has even approved renting out fancy rooms at St. James’s Palace as party venues during the 2012 London Olympics.  Companies that hold royal warrants -- those that have longstanding ties to the royal family -- will be given the opportunity to rent the spaces.

Under the new agreement, the queen will see 15 percent of the profits every two years from the Crown Estate, whose portfolio includes Regent Street, Windsor Great Park and more than half the country’s shoreline, the U.K.’s Daily Telegraph newspaper reported.

The move is the latest by Parliament to cut the U.K.’s major deficit problem. The country’s new coalition government, led by conservative Prime Minister David Cameron, introduced a series of major austerity cuts when it took power in 2010, slashing a number of programs.

Parliament does, however, recognize the huge draw that the royal family brings to the country, ushering in $785 million to Great Britain every year.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Oct042011

Man’s Body Lay Within Yards of Queen’s Palace for Years

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(LONDON) -- The body of an American man reportedly obsessed with Queen Elizabeth II was discovered a mere 100 yards outside of Buckingham Palace in St. James Park. Officials believe the body may have been there for up to three years.

Robert James Moore allegedly spent 15 years devotedly sending the queen hundreds of “strange and offensive” packages, obscene photographs and “peculiar” letters topping 600 pages, according to The Telegraph.

The body was found in March, but the details of the case emerged this week after an inquest at Westminster’s Coroner’s Court.

Moore moved to London in 2007 from the United States, and though his U.S. passport was found with his body, officials will not disclose where he was from or any personal details.

“We can’t comment on individual cases that we don’t have a privacy act waiver in place for,” a spokeswoman from the U.S. Embassy in London told ABC News.

“He had a fixation with the queen and the royal family, which takes us back to the place where he was discovered,” said Detective Sergeant Mike West of the Marylebone police station, according to The Telegraph.

The body was on a small island in a shallow lake in the park, accessible only by swimming or wading across the lake. Three times a year, trees are pruned on the island but a close inspection is only conducted every two years and it was during one of these inspections that the body was discovered.

“The Royal Parks is saddened that this incident has occurred. The body was found in thick undergrowth on an island that is reserved for wildlife and that is not accessible to the public,” a spokesman for The Royal Parks told The Telegraph. “Going forward we are planning to carry out thorough inspections on a more regular basis.”

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jul222011

Kate Middleton’s Wedding Dress on Display at Buckingham Palace

Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images(LONDON) -- Those shoes. Those diamonds. That dress.

The nuptials were months ago and the duke and duchess are already settling into married life, but there's no reason to forget Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding day.

Beginning Saturday, Buckingham Palace will host an exhibit with some of the most memorable ornaments from William and Kate's special day: the 3-foot-high wedding cake, the glittering Cartier tiara borrowed from the Queen and, of course, the gown that spurred a ripple of copycats and envious brides around the world.

"I think the thing that people will really see when they come here to view the dress is just how beautiful the detail is," said curator Caroline de Guitaut of the Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen design.

The satin-gazar and lace wedding dress was handmade at the Royal School of Needlework by staff, tutors, graduates, and students from around the world. As they applied yards-long lace appliqué to the dress, they washed their hands every half hour to ensure it stayed immaculate.

Although visitors might not get close enough to slip their feet into the bride's size 8 Alexander McQueen heels, it's still a treat for those who didn't get a coveted invite to the wedding.

The display runs until October as part of the palace's Royal Faberge exhibit.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Friday
Apr292011

Prince William, Catherine Middleton Kiss on Balcony as World Watches

Chris Jackson/Getty Images(LONDON) -- Royal newlyweds Prince William and Catherine Middleton sealed their royal wedding with two kisses on the balcony of Buckingham Palace as their family and cheering British subjects looked on.

Stepping out onto the balcony, the couple was flanked by the wedding party, the royal family -- including Queen Elizabeth II -- Prince Charles and the bride's family.

With hundreds of thousands gathered below them and millions watching expectantly on TV, the prince kissed his bride quickly.  The crowd cheered and began chanting, "Kiss her again."  The royal couple obliged with a second peck on the lips.

William and Middleton looked up into the London sky as the Royal Air Force performed a flyover congratulating the couple.  William is a member of the Royal Air Force.

The bells of Westminster Abbey serenaded London.  They started ringing when the newly-married Catherine Middleton and Prince William rode triumphantly in an open carriage waving to the cheering throngs.

William reportedly told Middleton in the carriage, "I'm so happy," according to a lip reader.

As the couple exited the abbey following their wedding in front of 1,900 guests, the bride curtsied to Queen Elizabeth and William bowed.

Earlier, Prince William and Catherine Middleton, holding each other's hands and gazing into one another's eyes, exchanged wedding vows, turning the commoner bride into royalty and thrilling royal watchers around the world.  William, 28, slipped a wedding band made of Welsh gold on the finger of the 29-year-old Middleton.

Unlike most wedding ceremonies in the United States where the bride and groom kiss at the altar, royal newlyweds abstain from kissing during the service.  Even outside the church, the kiss has long been viewed as an intimate and private moment until Prince William's parents, Charles and Diana, broke with tradition and spontaneously pecked on the balcony following their nuptials almost 30 years ago.

After their balcony appearance, William and Middleton will attend a brief reception, hosted by the queen.  They will dance and celebrate Friday night, and will spend their first night as a married couple at Buckingham Palace.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Friday
Apr292011

Thousands Gather in Central London for Royal Wedding

Oli Scarff/Getty Images(LONDON) -- The day has finally arrived.  People have flocked from all over the world to the streets of London for the royal wedding.

The first of the 1,900 invited guests will begin arriving Friday after 3:15 a.m. EST, but there are already thousands of eager royal wedding watchers lining the streets.

Thousands of people have camped out overnight on the procession route, and there is also the specially constructed Camp Royale in Clapham Common.

More than 1,500 soldiers, sailors and air crew will be on duty to line the couple's procession route between Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace, just under a mile away.

Also, an additional 5,000 uniformed and undercover police have been called in to be on alert for threats from Irish dissident terrorists, Muslim extremists, anti-monarchists, royal obsessives and anyone who may simply be drunk or disorderly. 

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio