SEARCH

Entries in Cannibal (4)

Sunday
Mar032013

British Nurse Arrested in Connection to Cannibalism Case

Gilberto Valle (Image Credit: Myspace)(NEW YORK) -- As the trial of the police officer accused of planning to cannibalize a number of women continues in New York, police in Great Britain said they have arrested two men believed to be associated with the case.

Authorities in the county of Kent, in southeast England, said two men, ages 57 and 30, had been arrested in connection with the Gilberto Valle case in New York.

Valle, 28, has been dubbed the “cannibal cop” after his alleged plans to cook and eat as many as 100 women were thwarted by a joint investigation between the FBI and the New York Police Department.

Dale Bolinger, 57, identified himself to British media as the person who had been arrested. The nurse, who lives in Canterbury, allegedly boasted to Valle that he had eaten two people.

While a jury in New York heard how Bolinger, who allegedly posted under the username “Moody Blues,” was a mentor to Valle,  the 57-year-old dismissed his alleged comments of cannibalism as fantasy.

“I have to leave it to the police,” he told the Kentish Gazette.

Valle, of Forest Hills, Queens, was charged last year with one count of conspiracy to commit kidnapping, according to a federal criminal complaint, as well as using the National Crime Information Center database to access unauthorized data. He was arrested after his wife allegedly discovered evidence of his intended cannibalism on his computer.

Kathleen Mangan-Valle, 27, was the government’s first witness in her husband’s trial. She told the jury she fled the family’s home with their 1-year-old daughter after she became aware of  his plans.

A federal complaint alleges that Valle exchanged electronic messages with an unnamed co-conspirator “about kidnapping, cooking and eating body parts of [Victim 1].” Prosecutors say that one of the women Valle allegedly discussed eating matches the description of his wife.

Authorities allege that in addition to conspiring to kidnap “Victim 1,” he had discussed plans to “kidnap, rape, torture, kill, cook and eat body parts of a number of women.” He is accused of creating computer files pertaining to “at least 100 women and containing at least one photograph of each woman.”

Valle’s trial is scheduled to resume on Monday. If convicted, he could face life in prison.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jun192012

Accused Canadian Cannibal Luka Magnotta Pleads Not Guilty

Montreal Police(MONTREAL) -- Luka Magnotta, a Canadian porn actor accused of killing, eating, and mailing the dismembered body parts of his lover to schools and government offices, has pleaded not guilty to five criminal counts, including first-degree murder.

Expressionless and flanked by guards, Magnotta, 29, appeared at the Montreal courthouse via closed-circuit video link for a hearing that lasted less than five minutes.

His lawyer, Pierre Panaccio, entered the plea on Magnotta's behalf and requested his client undergo psychiatric evaluation to determine his fitness for trial.

That motion will be decided Thursday when the court reconvenes.

Magnotta arrived in Montreal Tuesday following his extradition from Germany.

Magnotta was arrested on June 4 in a Berlin Internet café, days after police believe he videotaped the murder of Jun Lin, mutilated his body and mailed his hands and feet to government offices and schools. Lin's torso was discovered near the Montreal apartment where Magnotta lived. Lin's head, however, remains missing.

Charged with first-degree murder, Magnotta was for a time considered a priority fugitive by Interpol. He did not fight extradition and quickly admitted his identity when confronted by police in Germany, telling them, "OK, you got me."

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jun152012

Teacher Who Showed 'Cannibal' Murder Video Fired

Montreal Police(MONTREAL) -- A Canadian teacher has been fired for showing his high school students a grisly video that allegedly shows porn actor Luka Magnotta murdering and dismembering his Chinese lover.

The board of the Cavelier-De LaSalle high school in Montreal called the teacher's actions "as inappropriate as it is offensive."

The teacher, unnamed by the school, was suspended with pay on June 4, the same day the video was shown. He apologized to the school via email and was given the opportunity to tell the school board his side of the story on Wednesday.

"This decision follows an investigation by the CSMB [the school board], which took into account the seriousness of the action, the impact on the students involved, the human factor, as well as the standards provided for teachers' collective agreements," the board said in a statement on Thursday.

"The teacher's unacceptable behavior demanded action unequivocally," Diane Lamarche-Venne, president of the school board, said in a statement.

Magnotta, 29, allegedly stabbed Jun Lin to death, hacked up his body and mailed Lin's body parts to two Canadian government offices and Vancouver schools. Magnotta sparked an international manhunt when he fled Montreal and was captured in Berlin on June 4.

In addition to the killing and mutilation, the video also allegedly shows Magnotta taking a fork and knife to the body and performing lewd acts with the body parts, police said. Authorities have said that Magnotta posted the video online and by the time police got it removed, copies had already been made that can be found online.

The school also said that the past few days were "particularly stressful" for the teacher of 29 years and the students whose lives were disrupted by the events.

In the hours following the video's viewing, the school assembled a "crisis team of psychologists and psycho-educators" to be immediately available to the students. The team remained at the school for two days and a psychologist was present at the school for the rest of the week.

A spokeswoman from the Montreal Police Department told ABC News that it would be possible for the teacher to face legal consequences for showing the video, but no inquiries have been made yet or charges pressed.

Magnotta is currently in Berlin awaiting extradition to Canada. He is expected to be returned by the end of June.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jun142012

Teacher Suspended for Showing 'Cannibal' Murder Video

Montreal Police Department(MONTREAL) -- A Canadian teacher has been suspended for showing high school students a video that police believe depicts accused killer porn actor Luka Magnotta murdering and dismembering his Chinese student lover.

Magnotta, 29, allegedly stabbed Lin to death, hacked up his body and mailed Jun Lin's body parts to two Canadian government offices and Vancouver schools. Magnotta sparked an international manhunt when he fled Montreal and was captured in Berlin on June 4.

In addition to the killing and mutilation, the video also allegedly shows Magnotta taking a fork and knife to the body and performing lewd acts with the body parts, police said. Authorities have said that Magnotta posted the video online and by the time police got it removed, copies had already been made that can be found online.

Now, a Montreal teacher is under fire for showing the grisly video to his high school class.

The Cavelier-De LaSalle high school said in a statement that it "condemns with one voice the action of a teacher that showed his students a video with content as inappropriate as it offensive."

"The event was taken very seriously by the establishment and CSMB [the school board] who will promptly put in place all necessary measures," the statement said.

The teacher, unnamed by the school, was suspended with pay on June 4, the same day the video was shown.

In the hours following the video's viewing, the school assembled a "crisis team of psychologists and psycho-educators" to be immediately available to the students. The team remained at the school for two days and a psychologist was present at the school for the rest of the week.

The school was scheduled to meet with the teacher on Wednesday to hear his side of the story before deciding the fate of his job. No decision has been announced yet and the school didn't respond to request for comment from ABC News today.

A spokeswoman from the Montreal Police Department told ABC News that it would be possible for the teacher to face legal consequences for showing the video, but no inquiries have been made yet or charges pressed.

Magnotta is currently in Berlin awaiting extradition to Canada. He is expected to be returned by the end of June.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio