SEARCH

Entries in Charges (4)

Saturday
Dec292012

Six Men Charged with Murder After New Delhi Gang Rape Victim Dies

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(NEW DELHI) -- A 23-year-old woman died on Saturday due to injuries from a gang rape last week, and six men connected to the rape in New Delhi will now face murder charges, reports the BBC.

The female victim was transferred from a Delhi hospital to a specialist in Singapore and passed away on Saturday.

According to the BBC, there are hundreds of armed police and riot troops on patrol in Delhi to monitor public protests over the rape victim’s death.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
Aug272012

No Criminal Charges for US Soldiers in Koran Burning

February 2012: Pakistani Islamists set fire to the US flag during a protest over the burning of the Koran at a US-run military base in Afghanistan. S.S. MIRZA/AFP/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- Six Army soldiers have received administrative non-judicial punishments for their role in the inadvertent burning of Korans in Afghanistan, meaning they will not face criminal charges for an incident that set off deadly protests in Afghanistan in January.

Similar punishments were handed down earlier Monday to three Marines involved in an inflammatory video posted on the Internet in January that showed them urinating on the corpses of several Taliban fighters. Additional punishments are expected to be announced in the future against other Marines involved in that incident.

At the time, top Pentagon officials expressed concern that the incidents, separated by just weeks, could set off a backlash against U.S. troops in Afghanistan. Violent street protests followed the Koran burning in February and two U.S. Army soldiers were shot at their desks in the Afghan Interior Ministry in an attack by an Afghan soldier, which officials said was motivated by the burning.

A defense official told ABC News the six soldiers being disciplined for the burning include four officers and two enlisted soldiers -- a warrant officer is among the four officers. A Navy sailor was also investigated for his alleged role, but the admiral who reviewed his case determined he was not guilty and that no further disciplinary action was warranted.

The Army did not specify exactly how the soldiers had been punished, but generally non-judicial administrative punishments can include, among other things, a reprimand, reductions in rank, forfeiting pay, extra duties or being restricted to a military base. The punishments remain on a service member's permanent record and can prevent further promotions.

U.S. Central Command posted a redacted copy of the full investigation into the incident on its website.

The Korans and other religious materials had been taken from the Parwan Detention Facility and were slated for incineration in a burn pit at Bagram Air Field. Officials at the detention facility suspected that detainees were using the religious texts to pass along messages to each other.

The report indicates that possibly as many as 100 Korans were consumed in the fire. Nearly 500 Korans and 1,123 other religious books were recovered and inventoried during the investigation.

Shortly after the incident, Gen. John Allen, the top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, quickly released a written apology and a video statement. President Obama apologized to Afghan President Hamid Karzai for the incident.

In an interview this past March with ABC News' Martha Raddatz, Allen reiterated that although the U.S. was investigating the incident, he did not believe the burning was intentional.

"I don't think for a second that anyone intended to defame the religious publications or the Koran or anyone sought to desecrate the faith," he said. "I don't believe that for a second."

He added, "You fix things that are broken and you hold people accountable....That's why you do investigations and we're headed in that direction."

The Army announced the administrative punishments in a statement, saying, "We take these incidents seriously."

It said the Army had taken "immediate corrective action and implemented many of the investigation's recommendations along with re-emphasizing proper handling of religious materials to all soldiers during pre-deployment training in order to minimize the potential for reoccurrence."

In the immediate aftermath of the incident Allen also ordered cultural and religious sensitivity training for troops from the 50 NATO countries serving in Afghanistan before and after they deploy there.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Mar232012

Murder Charges Against Alleged Kandahar Shooter Expected Friday

US Army(FORT LEAVENWORTH, Kan.) -- Murder charges against Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales are expected to be filed Friday for his alleged shooting rampage almost two weeks ago that resulted in the deaths of 17 Afghan civilians.

A U.S. official confirms that Bales will be charged with 17 counts of murder, six counts of attempted murder, and six counts of aggravated assault, in addition to other violations of the U.S. Code of Military Justice.  All of the charges are related to the 17 deaths that allegedly resulted from Bales’ rampage.

The number of Afghans killed in the incident has been reported widely as 16, but criminal charges are expected to include 17 counts of murder.  U.S. officials said the updated number of casualties reflected either the death of one of the civilians initially wounded in the rampage, or new information gathered by Army investigators on the ground in Afghanistan.

Bales is accused of sneaking out of his remote combat outpost in the middle of the night and terrorizing two nearby villages, with Afghan civilians his apparent targets. Nine of the victims killed were children.

Bales, 38, was detained by fellow soldiers after he returned to his outpost.

John Henry Browne, Bales’ civilian attorney, said that during his initial meeting with his client, Bales did not have any recollection of the March 11 rampage.

Bales, who has a home in Washington state where his wife and children live, is now being held at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., and though charges in his case will be announced by U.S. Forces in Afghanistan, U.S. officials say his court proceedings will be held in the United States.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Feb092012

Former President of the Maldives Facing Criminal Charges

Ishara S.KODIKARA/AFP/Getty Images(MALE, Maldives) -- Just two days after his hasty resignation, Mohamed Nasheed, former president of the Maldives, faced possible arrest and criminal charges Thursday, The New York Times reports.

Supporters waited with Nasheed, who stayed in his home in the capital city of Male Thursday after the Criminal Court of the Maldives issued arrest warrants against the former president and the former minister of defense there.

"We are waiting for the police to come arrest President Nasheed right now," former foreign minister Ahmed Naseem said in a phone interview Thursday, according to the Times.

Nasheed claimed in a live television interview on a national network Thursday that security officers forced him to resign and that democracy was at stake with the new government.

Nasheed and his supporters claim they have no idea what the former president could be charged for. On Wednesday, Nasheed was among the dozens of protesters injured after riot police used tear gas to control the violent crowds, BBC News reported.

Police in Male declined to give explanation for the charges against Nasheed.  However, a police spokesman did confirm the discovery of bottles of alcohol in the official presidential residence, the Times reports.  Possession of alcohol is generally forbidden in the Muslim nation.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio