SEARCH

Entries in Daughter (5)

Wednesday
Oct172012

Drug Lord's Pregnant Daughter Caught Sneaking into US, Feds Say

Facebook(SAN DIEGO) -- The pregnant daughter of Mexico's most famous and elusive drug lord has been caught trying to use false papers to sneak into the U.S. and give birth, say officials.

Alejandrina Gisselle Guzman Salazar, 31, was arrested on Friday afternoon at the San Ysidro crossing south of San Diego, the nation's busiest. She is the daughter of Joaquin "El Chapo" (Shorty) Guzman, the Sinaloa cartel chieftain long sought by both Mexican and U.S. authorities.

Guzman Salazar, who attempted to enter the U.S. on foot, reportedly told authorities she was seven months pregnant. According to the criminal complaint against Guzman Salazar, "Defendant stated that her intent was to enter into the United States and travel to Los Angeles, California in order to give birth to her child." She has been charged with fraud and appeared before a federal judge today.

In 2011, according to the Los Angeles Times, Chapo Guzman's wife crossed the border into California to give birth to twin girls at a hospital outside Los Angeles. Authorities said at the time they had no legal reason to hold Emma Coronel, a 22-year-old Mexican beauty queen and U.S. citizen.

Chapo Guzman, 54, has had at least three wives, according to authorities, including his first wife, Maria, who is Guzman Salazar's mother. The U.S. Treasury Department has imposed sanctions on Maria and on Chapo Guzman's second wife, Griselda.

A bail hearing is scheduled for Guzman Salazar on Oct. 25. She is represented by Jan Ronis, a prominent San Diego attorney who previously represented Mexican drug lord Benjamin Arellano Felix. Arellano Felix pled guilty to racketeering and money laundering in federal court earlier this year. Authorities captured Arellano after tracking his daughter's trips to San Diego.

The U.S. Attorney's office in San Diego declined to comment on defendant Guzman Salazar's identity or relationship with Chapo Guzman.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
Jun112012

British Prime Minister and Wife Leave Daughter Behind in a Pub

NICHOLAS KAMM/AFP/Getty Images(LONDON) -- British Prime Minister David Cameron is red-faced Monday over a report that he and his wife accidentally left their 8-year-old daughter behind in a pub after enjoying lunch with two other families.

Britain’s Telegraph reports when the meal was done, the Camerons packed their 6-year-old son and 22-month-old daughter in a car and took off from The Plough in Cadsden, Bucks, not realizing that their eldest daughter wasn’t with them until two miles down the road.  The prime minister immediately got out of the car to call the pub, where the staff confirmed that their girl was fine after being found in a lavatory.

One pub insider told The Sun tabloid that it wasn’t feasible calling Nancy’s folks because, “It’s not like you can look up David Cameron in the phone book and then ring to say, ‘You’ve left your daughter behind.’”

The same person remarked, “It’s frightening the prime minister of Britain can forget something so important as his own daughter.”

It took about 15 minutes from the time the Camerons left the pub until they returned to fetch Nancy.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Feb162012

'Take Your Daughter to Work Day' for Italian EU Parliament Member

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(STRASBOURG) -- Italian MEP Licia Ronzulli brought her 18-month-old daughter Victoria to work at the European Parliament in Strasbourg Wednesday.

According to The Mirror, Little Victoria enthusiastically wore a headset, played with Ronzulli’s BlackBerry and even raised her hand to vote alongside Mom, who is a member of the Environment, Health and Food Safety Commission.

This wasn’t the first time the working mom proved she could do it all. Little Victoria accompanied her mom to work when she was only six weeks old back in September 2010.

But she wasn’t quite as enthusiastic then as she was Wednesday, sleeping through the entire session while mom was hard at work.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Sep062011

Man Takes Daughter Hostage in Sydney Office Siege

Jupiterimages/ThinkstockUPDATE: After a near 12-hour standoff, police have arrested the man who entered a courthouse in Sydney's Parramatta suburb, claiming to have a bomb and holding his 12-year-old daughter hostage.  According to The Sydney Morning Herald, the girl was rescued by police unharmed, and the suspect is expected to appear in court on Wednesday.  His motives are currently being investigated.

(SYDNEY) -- A hostage standoff was triggered in a Sydney suburb on Tuesday when a man entered an office complex accompanied by his daughter, demanded to see a person he believed to work there and told the receptionist that he had a bomb in his backpack.

Police have surrounded the area in Parramatta and a number of ambulances and fire trucks remain on the scene.

Photos of the man peering out of the office window wearing the style of wig worn by lawyers in Australian court appeared on the Sydney Morning Herald.  The man reportedly smashed the window open with a bottle, yelled through the hole and then threw the bottle followed by a telephone handset.

The man reportedly arrived in the office and asked office clerk Betty Hor to see a person from the local court.  She said that the man was meant to appear in court on Monday, but was not able to find the person he intended to meet.

“I think he just snapped,” Hor told the Sydney Morning Herald.

The man who appears to be about 50-years-old was accompanied by a young girl, who reportedly looked about 10-years-old.  She was heard referring to him as “Dad” when he threw a book at the reception area.  He then took her to the front of the building and closed the door.

He reportedly was seen peering from the window, pointing at himself to give the “thumbs up” sign, and then to the lawyer’s wig and giving the “thumb down” sign.  Police on the scene have confirmed that he claims to have a bomb.

“He has made a number of demands and negotiators are working through those demands with him, I don’t believe … anything to do with custody.  At this stage she [the girl] is well, as well as she can be,” Assistant Police Commissioner Dennis Clifford said.

Police had moved people at least 100 yards from the office building, according to Robert Hoffman, who works in a nearby office building.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
May042011

'In Front of Her Eyes': Osama bin Laden's Teen Daughter Witnessed Death

George Doyle/Thinkstock(ISLAMABAD, Pakistan) -- A senior Pakistani security official told ABC News that Osama bin Laden's teen daughter saw her father killed "in front of her eyes," and admitted that Pakistani intelligence failed to catch America's most wanted man even though he was hiding in plain sight.

In an hour-long exclusive interview with ABC News, the official said all of bin Laden's relatives who were captured are cooperating with intelligence. That includes his 13-year-old daughter, who witnessed his killing, bin Laden's youngest wife, who was injured while defending him, and about six to seven other children.

The fact that bin Laden was hiding in a relatively comfortable house was "a failure" on the part of Pakistani officials, the official admitted, but he argued that the CIA was as much to blame for taking so long to find him, despite the money and technological resources at their disposal.

The official expressed bitterness both at an operation that kept them in the dark and at comments from American officials criticizing Pakistani cooperation and competence.

"We didn't know he was there. Yes, that was an omission and we have been remiss in our duties. But if it's true he was living there for years and the U.S. had information, who's incompetent?" he said. "If anyone failed for so long, it's the CIA."

Bin Laden's sprawling compound, located in an affluent neighborhood in the scenic town of Abbottabad, did not attract the attention of Pakistani security officials, in part, because it had been raided in 2003 in an attempt to capture Abu Faraj Al-Libi, an alleged senior al Qaeda operative who was later captured in 2005. Bin Laden did not think lightning would strike twice, the official said.

"It was a double bluff," he said, adding, "That kind of a house is not something extraordinary. Anyone with any amount of money would buy a house like that because they are concerned about security."

Pakistan officials have been on the defensive since the news was announced late Sunday that al Qaeda's leader and America's most wanted man was killed in a top-secret raid conducted by U.S. Navy SEALs.

Though U.S. intelligence agencies had been on bin Laden's trail for years, they did not inform their Pakistani counterparts until after the mission. The Pakistani intelligence was informed at around 2 a.m. Monday, just after the raid was conducted.

CIA head Leon Panetta told Time magazine that U.S. officials feared that "any effort to work with the Pakistanis could jeopardize the mission. They might alert the targets." He also reportedly told members of Congress on Tuesday that the Pakistanis were either "involved or incompetent" and "neither place is a good place to be."

When he received news of bin Laden's death, the Pakistani official told ABC News he "was relieved but not happy with the way it was done."

He said the secrecy of the mission and Panetta's comments in recent days have hit Pakistani officials pretty hard, and will inevitably be "major blow" to U.S.-Pakistan cooperation for the near future.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio 







ABC News Radio