SEARCH

Entries in Dead (44)

Friday
Jul052013

Suicide Bombing at Afghan Police Station Kills at Least 12

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(KABUL, Afghanistan) -- A suicide attack in southern Afghanistan killed at least 12 people on Friday and wounded at least five others.

A spokesman for the governor of the Uruzgan province said that the attacker detonated his vest inside the crowded main dining hall for an elite police force. Police and civilians were among those killed in the explosion.

Mohammad Khpalwak, a senior Afghan intelligence officer said that the attacker wore a police uniform and managed to get inside the cafeteria where senior officers, relatives and friends were eating. It is unclear whether the bomber was a member of the police force.

Khpalwak added that the bombing was a breach of security that would be investigated.

In a separate incident, two children were killed by a roadside bombing in the district of Chora. The two children were between the ages of 10 and 11.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Saturday
Mar232013

Russian Tycoon Found Dead in UK Home

Simon Dawson/Bloomberg via Getty Images(LONDON) -- Russian businessman Boris Berezovsky was found dead in his home outside of London on Saturday morning.

The 67-year-old tycoon was a wanted man in Russia and an opponent of Russian President Vladimir Putin. The news was broken when Berezovsky's son-in-law, Yegor Shuppe, wrote "Boris Berezovsky is dead," on his facebook page on Saturday.

According to BBC News, Berezovsky made his fortune in the 1990s by selling imported and Russian-made cars. He later invested in Russia's main television channel, the national airline and an oil company. While he was once influential in Russian politics, helping in Putin's rise to power, the BBC report says that Putin was not receptive to Berezovsky's opinions on how to run the country.

According to BBC News, Berezovsky eventually left Russia for political asylum in the United Kingdom in 2000. He had reportedly previously survived multiple assassination attempts. The circumstances surrounding Berezovsky's death are unclear.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Saturday
Jan192013

Algeria Hostage Crisis Over, More Hostages Reported Dead

Hemera/Thinkstock(ALGIERS, Algeria) -- After the Algerian military's final assault on terrorists holding hostages at a gas complex, the four-day hostage crisis is over, but apparently with additional loss of life among the foreign hostages.

The Japanese fear "very grave" news, and multiple casualties from among the 10 citizens working at the In Amenas gas plant are feared.

According to state media, 29 militants are dead. Many of the remaining hostages appear to have been freed safely, with some accounts saying 16 have been rescued.

Media reports also say that a total of 19 hostages have died during the Algerian military's assaults on the al Qaeda-linked terrorists who took over the BP joint venture facility on Wednesday.

One American, Fred Buttaccio of Texas, has been confirmed dead by the U.S. State Department.

But another American, Mark Cobb of Corpus Christi, Texas is now confirmed as safe.

In a statement Saturday, BP said that of 18 BP employees working at the plant in the Sahara, 14 are now safe, two with non-life-threatening injuries. The status of four employees, however, remains unknown. The facility is a joint venture with the Norwegian company Statoil and the Algerian national oil company.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Feb022012

Egypt Begins Mourning Those Killed, Injured in Soccer Clashes

AFP/Getty Images(PORT SAID, Egypt) -- Three days of national mourning were declared in Egypt Thursday after 74 people were killed and 1,000 others were injured in violent clashes that erupted at the end of a soccer match the day before.

In what has been described as the worst violence in the country since the riots that led to the ouster of former President Hosni Mubarak a year ago, fans of the Masry soccer club rushed the field in the city of Port Said following a 3-1 victory over the favored Ahly club.  Bloody clashes between the two rival groups of fans ensued, with many dying or suffering from blunt trauma to the head.

In response, the Egyptian parliament and cabinet are holding emergency meetings. A protest march is also planned.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jan172012

Rescuers Blast Holes in Italian Cruise Ship's Hull; Second Recorder Found

ANDREAS SOLARO/AFP/Getty ImagesUPDATE: Italian media reported Tuesday morning that five more bodies were found, bringing the cruise ship's death toll to 11 and, consequently, lowering the number of those missing to 24.

(GIGLIO, Italy) -- Search and rescue divers have now blasted holes in the hull of the Costa Concordia cruise ship that ran aground off of the coast of Tuscany to aid their frantic search for 29 unaccounted for passengers and crew members.

A top coast guard official, Marco Brusco, said on state TV late Monday that 25 passengers and four crew members have not been found in the wreckage of the ship, including one five-year-old girl.

Rescue teams searching for survivors blasted through the vessel's hull Tuesday, creating large holes for better access to lower decks of the ship.

Navy spokesman Alessandro Busonero told Sky TV 24 the micro-charges set early Tuesday created four openings to allow divers, "to enter easily for the search."

Operations are now in motion to retrieve a second black box recorder that has been located in the wreckage, Warrant Petty Officer Massimo Macaroni of the Italian Coast Guard told ABC News.  The device, along with another recorder that's been found will be analyzed by prosecutors and provide authorities with, "a complete picture of how the disaster unfolded," CNN reported.

The number of people reported missing continues to fluctuate, as the coast guard said all but 16 people -- including a couple from Minnesota -- had been accounted for.  The official number rose after officials in other countries had reported higher numbers of missing citizens.

On Tuesday, La Stampa newspaper reported six bodies have been recovered and that rescuers saw a seventh body, but couldn't reach it; La Stampa is the only Italian media outlet reporting this, while Italian newspaper Corriere Della Sera is still reporting that only six bodies have been recovered.

The U.S. Embassy in Rome estimates 120 Americans were on board the ship and 118 have been accounted for.  The nationalities of the unaccounted for are: six Italians, 14 Germans, four French, one Hungarian, two Americans, one Indian and one Peruvian.

video platform video management video solutions video player

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jan052012

Cuba Blasts Twitter over Fidel Castro Death Rumor

ADALBERTO ROQUE/AFP/Getty Images(HAVANA) -- Cuban state media blasted Twitter on Wednesday for a rumor that spread on the social networking site earlier this week claiming that former President Fidel Castro had died.

According to the Cubadebate website, the rumor was initiated by an account holder using an Italian server.  Cubadebate alleged that even after the account was deactivated, Twitter permitted the hash tag "fidelcastro" to become a trending topic, ensuring that false news of Castro's death would spread.

Meanwhile, the Cuban government also blamed anti-Castro expatriates for helping to fuel the rumor, calling them "necrophiliac counterrevolutionaries."

While the 85-year-old Castro has not been in the best of health in recent years, these reports about his death hold no truth.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Sunday
Dec182011

North Korea's Kim Jong Il Dead

Sasha Mordovets/Getty Images(SEOUL, South Korea) -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Il has died, according to North Korea state television.  He was 69.

"The news reader appeared wearing black, which was unusual, looking very somber -- almost in tears," the BBC's Lucy Williamson reported Sunday night from Seoul. "[The North Korean reporter] didn't get through the first few sentences without her voice breaking. She said that Kim Jung Il, the leader, had died on Dec. 17, on Saturday, early in the morning -- about 8:30 a.m."

Reports say Kim Jong Il died of a heart attack while traveling by train.

While the Obama administration could not immediately confirm Kim's death, the White House issued a statement Sunday evening saying U.S. officials are keeping a close eye on the developments.

"We are closely monitoring reports that Kim Jong Il is dead," a statement from the White House said. "The President has been notified, and we are in close touch with our allies in South Korea and Japan. We remain committed to stability on the Korean peninsula, and to the freedom and security of our allies."

Kim reportedly suffered a stroke in 2008 and was believed to have had diabetes and heart disease.

"Under his leadership, North Korea poured funds into its military and an aggressive nuclear weapons program," ABC's Gloria Riviera reported Sunday upon the news of Kim's death. "North Korea paid the price. Widespread famine throughout the '90s killed an estimated two million people."

"In 1998, he stunned the world by conducting a missile test with rockets the CIA said could reach the U.S.," Riviera said. "By October 2006, North Korea had conducted its first successful underground nuclear test."

Kim Jong Il inherited his power when his father, North Korea’s founder Kim Il Sung, died in 1994.

In 2010, Kim Jong Il designated his third son, Kim Jong Un, as his successor.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Oct202011

Moammar Gadhafi Is Dead, Libya's Prime Minister Says

Salah Malkawi/ Getty Images(TRIPOLI, Libya) -- Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi has been killed, Libyan Prime Minister Mahmoud Jibril confirmed Thursday.

The flamboyant tyrant who terrorized his country and much of the world during his 42 years of despotic rule was reportedly cornered by insurgents in the town of Sirte, where Gadhafi was born and which was a stronghold of his supporters.

President Obama will make remarks this afternoon confirming and discussing Gadhafi's death.

National Transition Council leaders said Gadhafi's son, Motassim, was also killed, though another son, Saif Al-Islam, fled Sirte in a convoy. Three of Gadhafi's children are in Algeria, and NTC leaders say they will ask the neighboring country to send them back.

"We have been waiting for this moment for a long time. Moammar Gadhafi has been killed," Jibril said at a news conference in Tripoli.

He added that the rebel government will wait until later Thursday or Friday to officially declare what it calls a state of liberation.

The National Transition Council earlier Thursday said that its fighters found and shot Gadhafi in Sirte, which finally fell to the rebels after weeks of tough fighting. Rebels now control the entire country.

An NTC fighter who says he shot Gadhafi told reporters the eccentric leader was carrying a golden pistol and pleaded to him not to shoot. Footage of the dictator apparently badly wounded, being pulled from a pickup truck by a throng of cheering men -- and later dead sometime later -- quickly made its way to Al Jazeera and other networks and around the world.

Word of Gadhafi's death triggered celebrations in the streets of Tripoli with insurgent fighters waving their weapons and dancing jubilantly.

The White House and NATO said they were unable to confirm reports of his death.  

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Sep142011

Natalee Holloway's Dad Wants Her Declared Legally Dead

Joran van der Sloot, the man suspected of killing Natalee Holloway. Sebastian Silva/AFP/Getty Images(ORANJESTAD, Aruba) -- Natalee Holloway's father has served papers on her mother seeking to have the teenager, who disappeared during a senior class trip to Aruba in 2005, declared legally dead.

Court papers obtained by ABC News indicate that on April 19, 2011, Dave Holloway signed papers seeking a "petition for presumption of death for persons missing for more than five years."  Natalee Holloway vanished on May 30, 2005, more than six years ago, at age 17.

The request was actually filed in probate court on June 21.  The court documents state that a hearing on the father's request is scheduled for Sept. 23.

The missing teen's mother, Beth Holloway, spoke briefly to ABC News and said she does not intend to agree to have her daughter declared legally dead.

"No, I want to get to the bottom of what's going on from Dave," she said.

Dave Holloway could not immediately be reached for comment.

Beth Holloway has been relentless in her efforts to find out what happened to her daughter, even slipping into a Peruvian prison to confront Joran van der Sloot, the Aruban man suspected of killing Natalee.

At one point, she agreed to a sting, seemingly complying with van der Sloot's demand for cash in exchange for information about the location of her daughter's body.  The transaction was monitored by Aruban authorities, but van der Sloot left the island before the FBI filed extortion charges.

Before van der Sloot could be arrested on extortion, he was arrested in Peru and charged with killing a woman, Stephany Flores Ramirez, on May 30, 2010, the fifth anniversary of Natalee's disappearance.  He has been in a Peruvian prison since.

Natalee Holloway was on the last day of a graduation trip to Aruba with her senior class at Mountain Brook High School in Alabama when she did not return to her hotel.  She was last seen in a car with several people that included van der Sloot.

Extensive searches were carried out on the island and surrounding waters, often with Beth Holloway pleading publicly for someone to come forward and hectoring officials to keep on searching.  The case was closed by Aruba police in 2007, but reopened in 2008 after van der Sloot was caught on video telling someone that he disposed of her body.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Aug312011

Britain's Wootton Bassett Gives Final Salute to War Dead

Standard bearers gather in Wootton Bassett High Street for a sunset ceremony on August 31, 2011 in Wootton Bassett, England. The union flag was lowered to commemorate the end of the repatriation route through the Wiltshire town as flights are switching to RAF Brize Norton in September. Matt Cardy/Getty Images(WOOTTON BASSETT, England) -- As the sun sets Wednesday over the small town of Wootton Bassett, southwest of London, it will take with it the town’s tradition of saluting Britain’s returning war dead, marking the end of an era.

In a solemn ceremony, the town that became known for mourning the country’s troops will no longer remember the dead.  Instead, the bodies of fallen soldiers will now be taken to RAF Brize Norton, a Royal Air Force base located in Oxfordshire.

For the past four years, the residents of Wootton Bassett, thousands of them, lined the streets with dignity, bowing their heads, honoring the fallen.  They remembered the servicemen and women -- 345 of them -- who were killed in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

What began as an impromptu act quickly grew to a time-honored tradition to those who sacrificed their lives in the line of duty, capturing attention around the world. It also contrasted with the more remote scene in the U.S., where troops return to the airbase in Dover, Del., and usually is kept private.

Britain’s mantle will be now be handed to the people of the town of Carterton, close to Brize Norton. The first repatriation, for a Royal Marine killed Tuesday while serving in Afghanistan with the 42 Commando, is expected to take place next week.

President Obama weighed in on what the town has done when speaking with Britain Prime Minister David Cameron during his first visit to the U.S., saying the tributes marked ”the best of British character.”

Cameron thanked the residents of Wootton Bassett for paying tribute to those who lost their lives serving their country, saying, “My message to the people of Wootton Bassett is a really big, heartfelt thank you on behalf of the government and the whole country.”

Cameron said the town’s residents “have done our country proud with the respect and admiration and passion they have shown for our Armed Forces and those who have tragically fallen in battle in Afghanistan and elsewhere…I think it is thoroughly deserved, although it is not something the people of Wootton Bassett ever asked for. They are very public-spirited people.”

To honor that very spirit, its people, and everything they have done, the queen has ordered the town’s name to be changed to “Royal Wootton Bassett.”

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio