SEARCH

Entries in International Criminal Court (10)

Sunday
Sep022012

Desmond Tutu: Blair and Bush Should be Taken to International Criminal Court for Iraq

Michelly Rall/WireImage(NEW YORK) -- Archbishop Desmond Tutu said this week that George W. Bush and Tony Blair should be taken to the International Criminal Court in the Hague for the Iraq war, the BBC reports.

The former Archbishop of Cape Town who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1984 wrote in the UK's Observer that the former leaders lied about weapons of mass destruction.

"The immorality of the United States and Great Britain's decision to invade Iraq in 2003, premised on the lie that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction, has destabilised and polarised the world to a greater extent than any other conflict in history," he wrote.

Tutu said the death toll that resulted from military action in Iraq since 2003 qualified Blair and Bush to be tried in The Hague. Blair strongly defended his decisions following the Observer article by pointing to the abuses of Saddam Hussein and adding that Iraq's economy has increased three times or more in size and has seen its child mortality rate decrease by a third of what it was.

The United States does not recognize the International Criminal Court.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jul102012

Congolese Warlord Thomas Lubanga Sentenced to 14 Years in Jail

MICHAEL KOOREN/AFP/Getty Images(THE HAGUE, Netherlands) -- The International Criminal Court on Tuesday sentenced Congolese warlord Thomas Lubanga to 14 years behind bars for recruiting child soldiers to fight for his militia.

Lubanga, the former head of the Union of Congolese Patriots, was found guilty in March of using children between 2002 and 2003 to fight for his group and maintain control of the Ituri region in northeastern Congo.  The 51-year-old became the first person ever to be convicted by the ICC.

The conflict between ethnic groups in the region is estimated to have claimed 60,000 lives, reports the BBC.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
Mar192012

Multiple Extraditions Sought for Gadhafi's Intelligence Chief

AFP/Getty Images(TRIPOLI, Libya) -- Col. Moammar Gadhafi's brother-in-law and intelligence chief, Abdullah al-Senussi, is being sought after Libya, France and even the International Criminal Court in the Hague for multiple crimes he allegedly committed while under the late dictator's rule.

Al-Senussi was arrested Saturday in the North African country of Mauritania.

The Libyan government is demanding that Mauritania extradite him back home so he can be prosecuted for reportedly ordering the deaths of civilians during last year's uprising and the 1995 massacre at a prison in which 1,200 inmates were killed.

France wants to get its hands on al-Senussi, who a French court found guilty of being complicit in the bombing of a plane over Niger in 1989 that killed 170 people including 54 French nationals.

Meanwhile, the International Criminal Court already has an arrest warrant out on al-Senussi for crimes against humanity during the revolution in 2011 that led to the end of Gadhafi's brutal dictatorship.

The U.S. also has an interest in seeing justice done since it's believed that al-Senussi had a hand in the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 183 over Lockerbie, Scotland, that killed 270 people, most of them Americans returning home for the Christmas holidays.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Mar142012

Former Congo Warlord Found Guilty of Recruiting Child Soldiers

Hemera/Thinkstock(THE HAGUE) -- The International Criminal Court convicted a former Congo warlord on Wednesday of recruiting child soldiers to fight for him.

Thomas Lubanga was found guilty by three judges in a unanimous decision. Lubanga, the former head of the Union of Congolese Patriots, was accused of using children under the age of 15 between 2002 and 2003 to fight for his group.

Presiding judge Adrian Fulford delivered the verdict saying Lubanga used the children in order to maintain control in Ituri region of northern Congo. More than 60,000 people reportedly died in conflicts between two ethnic groups in the region, reports BBC News.

Lubanga faces a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Nov232011

International Court Approves of Trial for Gadhafi's Son in Libya

IMED LAMLOUM/AFP/Getty Images(THE HAGUE, Netherlands) -- The son of the late Col. Moammar Gadhafi will have his day in court, one way or the other.

As it appears more likely that Libya will not turn over Saif al-Islam Gadhafi to the international court in The Hague, the top prosecutor of the International Criminal Court suggested Tuesday that it would be all right with him if Gadhafi goes on trial in his own homeland.

Louis Moreno-Ocampo said he would only ask that the international court has some presence at any trial, which might also include the prosecution of former intelligence chief Abdullah Senussi.  Both men were taken into custody last weekend after being on the run since late August.

Last June, the international court issued warrants for the arrest of Col. Gadhafi, his son and the foreign minister on charges of cracking down on civilians and dissidents when a pro-democracy uprising got underway last February.

While the now-ruling National Transitional Council said initially it would turn over the men to the international court, the new leaders reversed their decision due to public pressure, as most want to see the younger Gadhafi and Senussi go on trial in Libya for a variety of charges including corruption, abuse of state funds, torture and killings.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Friday
Sep092011

Interpol Issues Red Notice for Gadhafi's Arrest

Salah Malkawi/ Getty Images(LYON, France) -- The International Criminal Police Organization, better known as Interpol, issued an alert Friday for the arrest of fugitive Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi, whose whereabouts remain unknown.

The organization also issued a "red notice" for Gadhafi's son, Seif al-Islam Gadhafi, and the country's former director of military intelligence, Abdullah al-Senussi.

Interpol said the notices were issued following a request from the prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, which is seeking the three men for alleged crimes against humanity, including murder and persecution.

The red notices have been distributed to all of Interpol's 188 member states.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Jul202011

UN's Last Wanted War Crimes Fugitive Arrested in Serbia

ALEKSA STANKOVIC/AFP/Getty Images(BELGRADE, Serbia) -- Goran Hadzic, the last remaining fugitive wanted by the United Nations' International Criminal Court for war crimes, was arrested in Serbia Wednesday, a high-ranking official told ABC News.

According to the official, Hadzic was nabbed near the mountain Fruska Gora.

Hadzic, the former leader of the Republic of Serbian Krajina (RSK), is facing 14 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity for the murder of Croat civilians and the deportation of Croats and other non-Serbs by Serbian troops in Croatia during the 1991-1995 war.

He was indicted by the war crimes court in 2004.

Hadzic's arrest comes less than two months after Ratko Mladic, the former Bosnian Serb military commander who faces genocide and war crimes charges, was captured in Serbia.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Monday
Jun272011

Court to Rule on Arrest Warrant for Libya's Moammar Gadhafi

Salah Malkawi/Getty ImagesUPDATE: The International Criminal Court has issued arrest warrants for Moammar Gadhafi, his son, Saif al-Islam, and Libya's spy chief, Abdullah al-Senussi.

(THE HAGUE, Netherlands) -- The noose is tightening for Col. Moammar Gadhafi.

The International Criminal Court in the Hague is poised Monday to hand down an indictment for war crimes and crimes against humanity against the Libyan leader.  The court's chief prosecutor, Luis Moreno-Ocampo, asked judges last month to issue an arrest warrant for Gadhafi, his son, Saif al-Islam, and Libya's spy chief, Abdullah al-Senussi, who happens to be Gadhafi's brother-in-law.

Moreno-Ocampo's office claims the trio is responsible for "widespread and systematic attacks" against the people of Libya, "including murder and persecution as crimes against humanity."

"Additionally and since the end of February, there has been an armed conflict in Libya.  In this context, there is also relevant information on the alleged commission of war crimes," the prosecutor's office said in a statement.

Once Gadhafi is indicted, fewer countries will be willing or able to harbor him.  Hunted, cornered and -- now with the indictment -- humiliated, he may choose to fight to the end.

It's been 100 days since the NATO bombing campaign began in Libya and while Gadhafi remains very much in control of Tripoli, the rebel forces are moving incrementally closer -- they are now just 50 miles south of the capitol.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jun102011

Libyan Dictator Gadhafi Ordered Rapes to 'Humiliate' His Enemies

ABC News(TRIPOLI, Libya) -- Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi sent his soldiers and mercenaries, armed with Viagra, to rape women as young as 12 in order to "humiliate" the men who are opposed to him, the health minister for the Libyan rebels told ABC News.

More than a dozen rape cases, documented by Dr. Nagi Barakat, prompted the International Criminal Court to accuse Gadhafi of using rapes as a weapon of war.

"I think the tactic of Gadhafi is always to try to humiliate Libyans.  One thing he knows, the dignity of women is very important to men... He wants to humiliate them even more by having mercenaries do it," Barakat told ABC News in an exclusive interview.  "It is a very dirty tactic that Gadhafi is doing."

The accusations, difficult to independently verify, are being investigated by a rebel commission and by the ICC.

"We have information to confirm that it was a policy in Libya to rape those who were against the government," said ICC prosecutor Louis Moreno-Ocampo.  "Rape is a new aspect of the repression."

Some of the rape victims have fled Libya after their ordeal, seeking medical treatment, including abortions, a member of the rebel government told ABC News.

"We have a committee investigating, trying to keep it as confidential as possible.  Three in Tunisia and 12 in Ajdabiya," Barakat said.  "All of them were young women, some of them married, most of them were not.  The youngest we have is 12."

The attackers, he said, had their orders.

"They have Viagra in their pockets.  Gadhafi has encouraged them to do this, so have their commanders," Barakat said.

Some of the rapists were foreign mercenaries, an especially difficult point for victims and their families.

Al Jazeera has aired footage of Viagra distributed to security forces, and Moreno-Ocampo suggested it may have been a policy of the Gadhafi regime to distribute the male sex enhancement medication.

Gadhafi is already under warrant for arrest by the ICC, accused of committing crimes against humanity since the start of a popular uprising in Libya in February.  The four-decade dictator and his son, Saif Al Islam, allegedly recruited mercenaries to attack demonstrators.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Jun082011

ICC Prosecutor Probes Gadhafi Rape Claims

Salah Malkawi/ Getty Images(LONDON) -- The International Criminal Court (ICC) is investigating claims and evidence that Moammar Gadhafi may have ordered the rape of hundreds of women and children in the struggle against rebel forces.

ICC prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo says there is evidence that Gadhafi is using rape as a weapon and even fueling the violence, encouraging members of his regime to take Viagra, according to BBC News.

Some witnesses reported that the Libyan government purchased containers of "Viagra-type" drugs in adherence to an official order "to enhance the possibility of rape," the Telegraph reports.

Moreno-Ocampo last month requested international arrest warrants for Gadhafi, his son Saif al-Islam and Abdullah al-Sanussi, an intelligence chief, charging that they had committed crimes against humanity (murder and persecution).  Moreno-Ocampo is now considering additional rape charges.

Moreno-Ocampo told U.N. reporters in New York that rape is not a method Gadhafi commonly used in the past, but rather it is a new form of punishment.

If the arrest warrants for Gadhafi are approved, it may prove difficult for Moreno-Ocampo to progress with his case.  The Libyan government does not recognize ICC jurisdiction.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio