SEARCH

Entries in Jens Stoltenberg (3)

Sunday
Jul242011

Anders Behring Breivik Believed Norway Bombing and Shooting 'Gruesome But Necessary'

HOLM MORTEN/AFP/Getty Images(OSLO) -- Anders Behring Breivik still had a lot of ammunition left when he surrendered after allegedly going on a 90-minute shooting rampage that left at least 86 people dead at a summer youth camp, Norwegian police said Sunday.

Breivik, who police today officially identified as the suspect in the shooting Friday and the bombing of a building near Oslo that occurred hours earlier, has given investigators a partial admission of involvement, police said.

"He has admitted to the facts of both the bombing and the shooting, although he's not admitting criminal guilt," acting national police chief Sveinung Sponheim said in a news conference.

Breivik's lawyer, Geir Lippestad, said the 32-year-old accepts responsibility for his actions.

"He thought it was gruesome having to commit these acts, but in his head they were necessary," Lippestad said.

Breivik claimed that he acted alone, wanting to attack Norwegian society in order to change it, Sponheim said. But police say the investigation still open to the possibility that Breivik had help.

Last night, six people who appear to be Eastern European were arrested after police stormed a location east of Oslo in a neighborhood called Slettelokka in the Groruddalen area, police said. Two tanks of chemicals were found at the location. The six arrested were living on the property. No links were found between these suspects and Breivik, according to Oslo police, and they were released.

A video titled "Oslo Bombing" was posted in Polish about five days before the bombing occurred. The video was renamed "Hamsters" shortly before the bombing, and shows actual hamsters. It is unclear whether the individuals arrested had any connection to the actual bombing or the posting of the video.

Police are continuing their interrogation of Breivik and their investigation, dissecting Breivik's life in an effort to find out any other information.

"We're going through witness statements. There was utter chaos on Utoya. We have a massive jigsaw for to solve," Sponheim said.

Breivik, who is still in police custody, is due to appear in court Monday morning for a detention hearing. His lawyer says he will explain his actions then.

Under Norwegian law, the maximum prison sentence Breivik could face is 21 years, according to Sponheim.

Today, memorial services are occurring throughout Norway. The country of only 5 million people is in a state of remembrance.

"Each and every one of those who've left us is a tragedy -- together, it's a national tragedy," Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Saturday
Jul232011

Norway Terror Attacks Toll Upped to 91: Norwegian Man Arrested

HOLM MORTEN/AFP/Getty Images(OSLO) -- People in Norway are in shock Saturday after a man dressed as a police officer is suspected of shooting and killing at least 84 at a summer youth camp Friday, just hours after setting off an explosion in nearby Oslo that killed seven.

Police confirmed that they had arrested a Norwegian man for the attack on a summer youth camp, and that they believed the same man was responsible for the bombing in central Oslo several hours earlier that claimed at least seven lives.

An earlier police report had stated that at least 10 had died at the youth camp. Police fear the revised death toll could continue to rise.

With the arrest of a lone Norwegian in the twin bomb and shooting attacks, officials have all but ruled out any connection to international terrorism.

"We have one person in custody and he will be charged in connection with what has happened," said Justice Minister Knut Storberget during a Friday evening press conference. "We know that he is Norwegian. That is what we know. I don't think it's right from my position to go into details about him."

TV2, Norway's largest broadcaster, later identified the suspect as Anders Behring Breivik, 32, describing him as a member of "right-wing extremist groups in eastern Norway." Norwegian police would not confirm the identity of the suspect.

Breivik's motive remains unclear. He allegedly opened fire at a summer youth camp on the island of Utoya, just hours after explosions ripped through a government building holding Stoltenberg's office in the capital city of Oslo. According to media reports the suspect had been seen in Oslo earlier in the day.

More than 500 people were attending the camp, and most campers were teenagers.

Explosives were found on the island after the assault.

Stoltenberg was uninjured in the Oslo bombing. He was scheduled to visit the youth camp on Saturday.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jul222011

Norway Terror Attacks Kill 17: Norwegian Man Arrested

HOLM MORTEN/AFP/Getty Images(OSLO, Norway) -- With the arrest of a lone Norwegian in the twin bomb and shooting attacks Friday, officials have all but ruled out any connection to international terrorism.

Police confirmed that they had arrested a Norwegian man for the attack on a summer youth camp on the island of Utoya that killed at least ten, and that they believed the same man was responsible for the bombing in central Oslo several hours earlier that claimed at least seven lives.

"We have one person in custody and he will be charged in connection with what has happened," said Justice Minister Knut Storberget during a Friday evening press conference. "We know that he is Norwegian. That is what we know. I don't think it's right from my position to go into details about him."

During the same press conference, Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg told reporters that it was "too early to say anything certain about the motive." Justice Minister Storberget said he was not aware of any threats before the two attacks.

Police said that the incidents did not appear to have international connotations, but that the borders of the country were closed.

The man in custody allegedly opened fire at a summer youth camp run by the Labour Party, the political party of both Stoltenberg and Storberget, just hours after explosions ripped through a government building holding Stoltenberg's office in the capital city of Oslo. According to media reports the suspect had been seen in Oslo earlier in the day. Oslo is 45 minutes from the island of Utoya.

A witness told Norwegian television of seeing 20 bodies on the shoreline of the island, but a police spokesperson said ten people are confirmed dead. More than 500 people were attending the camp, and most campers were teenagers.

A local police spokesman confirmed to al Jazeera that the suspect had been dressed as a police officer and had said he was at the camp to provide security. Explosives were found on the island after the assault.

Twenty ambulances and four air ambulances were dispatched to the island to pick up the wounded. Some of the campers at the island jumped into the water to attempt to swim to safety.

Stoltenberg was uninjured in the Oslo bombing. He was scheduled to visit the youth camp Saturday.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio