SEARCH

Entries in Lockerbie Bombing (3)

Thursday
Dec222011

23rd Memorial Service Held for Lockerbie Bombing Victims

KHALED DESOUKI/AFP/Getty Images(ARLINGTON, Va.) -- Wednesday's commemoration for the victims of the December 1988 bombing over Lockerbie, Scotland, that killed 270 people -- most of them Americans -- was slightly different this year.

With Col. Moammar Gadhafi now dead -- the victim of Libyan rebel forces who overthrew his regime earlier this year -- White House counterterrorism chief John Brennan said the families of the bombing victims can take some solace knowing that the infamous dictator is no longer around.

A Libyan agent was eventually convicted for planting the explosives on Pan Am Flight 103 but the U.S. blamed Gadhafi for ordering the attack.

During a memorial service at Arlington National Cemetery, Brennan said Gadhafi's death added poignancy to the occasion.  While his regime took some responsibility for the Lockerbie bombing, Gadhafi would never say that he personally gave the orders.

Brennan also told mourners that the U.S. will keep after the Libyan government to bring Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, the man convicted of planting the bomb, to justice.  He was released by Scottish authorities on compassionate grounds two years after being diagnosed with terminal cancer.  But al-Megrahi returned home to a hero's welcome, and is still alive, residing somewhere in Libya.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Aug232011

Scottish Authorities Seeking Whereabouts of Freed Lockerbie Bomber

Freed Lockerbie bomber Abdel Baset al-Megrahi wears a medical as he sits on a wheelchair during a meeting with an African delegation at a hospital in Tripoli on September 9, 2009. MAHMUD TURKIA/AFP/Getty Images(LONDON) -- It was exactly two years ago that Scottish authorities released Abdel Baset al-Megrahi from prison on humanitarian grounds.

There were reports that al-Megrahi, the only person found guilty in the December 1988 bombing of Pan Am 103 over Lockerbie that killed 270 people, was dying of cancer and wanted to spend his final days in his homeland of Libya.

Over objections of the U.S. State Department, al-Megrahi was freed and received a hero's welcome in Tripoli, much to the disgust of the families of the bomber's American victims.

Since then, al-Meghrai has yet to succumb to his supposedly terminal illness.

With Moammar Gadhafi seemingly out of power in Libya, Scottish authorities overseeing the Lockerbie bomber's parole want to reach al-Megrahi immediately.

As of now, his whereabouts are unknown.  Scottish officials know that al-Megrahi is still alive since he was seen with Gadhafi at a rally as recently as last month.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Mar312011

Libyan Defector Could Link Gadhafi to Lockerbie Bombing

KHALED DESOUKI/AFP/Getty Images(LONDON) -- British prosecutors say they hope that defected Libyan Foreign Minister Moussa Koussa will provide valuable new information on Moammar Gadhafi's suspected role in the fatal 1988 terror bombing of Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland.

Koussa, a longtime ally of Gadhafi, is the most senior member of the regime to defect. British officials Thursday said the one-time intelligence chief had not been offered immunity for the information he might provide.

"There is no deal. He arrived late last night. There are discussions going on. This is going to take some time. It is early days," said a government spokesman.

"We have notified the Foreign and Commonwealth Office that the Scottish prosecuting and investigating authorities wish to interview Mr. Koussa in connection with the Lockerbie bombing," the spokesman said. "The investigation into the Lockerbie bombing remains open and we will pursue all relevant lines of inquiry."

News of Koussa's arrival in the U.K. quickly spread to Washington, where members of Congress were interested to know if American justice officials would also have access to Koussa for questioning.

"Secretary Clinton has taken a very strong personal interest in the Pan Am 103 victims," Deputy Secretary of State James Steinberg told the House Foreign Affairs Committee Thursday morning.

"The Department of Justice has a considerable interest in a number of these issues. Because there are ongoing investigations, I'm not in a position to comment on them," he said, adding, "We, obviously, take this decision by the Libyan foreign minister very seriously."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio 







ABC News Radio